Is NASCAR trying to lose fans on purpose?

limblips

PREMO Member
So now I won't know the real race winner until 1.5 - 2 hours after the race ends. Looks like I will have a couple of extra hours to work on my stuff instead of watching a race.

Hypothetical situation:
The 1st and 2nd place cars fail post race so the 3rd place car is then declared the winner. How do they do a post race inspection on a car that is already in the hauler on its way to the shop or do they waive the inspection?

Last edited:

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
So now I won't know the real race winner until 1.5 - 2 hours after the race ends. Looks like I will have a couple of extra hours to work on my stuff instead of watching a race.

Hypothetical situation:
The 1st and 2nd place cars fail post race so the 3rd place car is then declared the winner. How do they do a post race inspection on a car that is already in the hauler on its way to the shop or do they waive the inspection?
Interesting, not quite sure how I feel about this one.

They (NASCAR) seem to be implying that most of these penalties are flagrant violations and completely avoidable, and if so, they should be DQ'd. But maybe DQ'd from the next race instead of waiting two hours to declare a winner? That would give them something to think about.

calvcopf

Hypothetical situation:
Now you will know the official race winner within hours of the race. As opposed to the way it has been when the car was taken back to R&D Center for final inspection and you had to wait 2 or 3 DAYS to see if the win became encumbered!
This rule is 100% better for everyone.

limblips

PREMO Member
Now you will know the official race winner within hours of the race. As opposed to the way it has been when the car was taken back to R&D Center for final inspection and you had to wait 2 or 3 DAYS to see if the win became encumbered!
This rule is 100% better for everyone.

You must not be a big fan. Failing on Wednesday at the NASCAR garage did not result in DQ. Fines levied, points taken, and possible suspensions are the most common punishments.

"A NASCAR Cup Series race winner has not been disqualified from a race since after the race at Wilson Speedway on Sunday, April 17, 1960."

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm guessing the officials will be looking at very specific things. Think about short tracks where the officials may have to determine was this cheating or race damage.

Grumpy

NASCAR has been trying to lose fans for years now, they should be so proud of killing the golden goose. Perhaps the Russians were involved.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Or use wind to overcome the laws of physics.
Here's your wind turbine.:lol:

calvcopf

You must not be a big fan. Failing on Wednesday at the NASCAR garage did not result in DQ. Fines levied, points taken, and possible suspensions are the most common punishments.

"A NASCAR Cup Series race winner has not been disqualified from a race since after the race at Wilson Speedway on Sunday, April 17, 1960."

Don't be a jackass, Limpy.
The win was encumbered days later, meaning that the win did not count toward the playoffs and no bonus points awarded.
How about when Logano won Richmond in 2017 and days later was ruled encumbered:

"Essentially, even though Logano is still officially listed as the winner of the race, it’s like he didn’t win anything for the purposes of the 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series playoffs. The win doesn’t “count” toward helping Logano secure a playoff position, nor does he receive the five bonus playoff points a regular season victory would usually grant."

So no major changed to playoff implications for taking a win away vs encumbered win. Just as I stated earlier, you will know the same day instead of waiting days for a win to be stripped, null, encumbered or any other term that you want to use.

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member
Don't be a jackass, Limpy.
The win was encumbered days later, meaning that the win did not count toward the playoffs and no bonus points awarded.
How about when Logano won Richmond in 2017 and days later was ruled encumbered:

"Essentially, even though Logano is still officially listed as the winner of the race, it’s like he didn’t win anything for the purposes of the 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series playoffs. The win doesn’t “count” toward helping Logano secure a playoff position, nor does he receive the five bonus playoff points a regular season victory would usually grant."

So no major changed to playoff implications for taking a win away vs encumbered win. Just as I stated earlier, you will know the same day instead of waiting days for a win to be stripped, null, encumbered or any other term that you want to use.
But he was and remains the winner. He became the winner when he took the checkered flag not 2 hours later. He lost driver and owner points, suspensions (no pun intended) were levied and some fines were paid. He was not DQ'd. If they want to do the inspection at the track fine but why change the punishment to DQ effectively changing the outcome of the race? If football did that, KC would have been in the Super Bowl! 🆒