Is Sex Ed Working?

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"Concern over sex education is alive and well in the nation's capital.

The political and ethical debate over what to teach teenagers about sex is being reinvigorated after a recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) revealed that one in four teenage girls has a sexually transmitted disease. Now some say the study, the first of its kind, reveals why it's so important to teach teens not to have sex at all; others argue that the study proves that federally funded abstinence-only education isn't working.

Stoking the fire, a study published in the April edition of the Journal of Adolescent Health found that those who received comprehensive sex education were 50 percent less likely to become pregnant than those who received abstinence-only education. The study also found that those who received comprehensive sex education were 60 percent less likely to become pregnant than those who received no sex education at all. "

ABC News: Does Sex Ed Really Work?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Obviously the media and our pop culture are educating kids on how to have sex just fine. The teen STD stats pretty much prove that.

But hey - at least they're not getting pregnant.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Obviously the media and our pop culture are educating kids on how to have sex just fine. The teen STD stats pretty much prove that.

But hey - at least they're not getting pregnant.

I cannot believe that the teen STD study is still being considered reputable by people...

It was a bs study from a single highschool in a ghetto-esk area (that is what the numbers equate to...it was only done on 800-850 teens).

That study isn't relevant.

Anywho....keep teaching sex-ed..we can't count on a lot of parents to do it and that IS something that needs to be continually taught in order to try and keep the teen pregnancy numbers down a LITTLE bit.
I think sex ed is a necessity in our public education.
But thats just my $0.02.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I cannot believe that the teen STD study is still being considered reputable by people...
It was a bs study from a single highschool in a ghetto-esk area (that is what the numbers equate to...it was only done on 800-850 teens).That study isn't relevant.
Anywho....keep teaching sex-ed..we can't count on a lot of parents to do it and that IS something that needs to be continually taught in order to try and keep the teen pregnancy numbers down a LITTLE bit.
I think sex ed is a necessity in our public education.
But thats just my $0.02.

And here's Little Johhny Know-It-All at 19 :roflmao:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
In this age I can't believe any kid doesn’t know all about pregnancy prevention. Hell, we knew all about it long before computers, Sex Ed, or open discussions of it on every media source out there. Society is what's changed, when I was in school in the early 80s a girl was still a "slut" if she was having sex (in my small northern town anyway). Now high school girls are giving blow jobs and having anal sex. Pregnancy isn't such a social stigma anymore so they aren't cautious about having sex, with this new promiscuity comes the STDs.