Is the left coming for your pickup truck? Critics say there's a growing movement to tell Americans how to live

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Supersized trucks are portrayed as bigger, bulkier and more dangerous

Ford pickup trucks have been an all-American classic for almost 50 years, but some liberal critics say the love affair should end because they are getting bigger, bulkier and more dangerous.

A new Axios report found small pickup trucks have all but disappeared from the market to accommodate changing lifestyles and Americans' obsession with bigger and better.

Yet, some experts say the push for supersized trucks is creating a greater risk to pedestrians and other drivers - who aren't often seen in blind spots -because of how high the trucks sit. The gas-guzzlers are also a growing concern as companies attempt to move away from fossil fuels to electric-powered vehicles.

Fox News contributor Mollie Hemingway said "it's not surprising" that the left wants to take trucks away.

"America was built on trucks. I mean, it was the trucks [that] helped build everything that matters in this country," Hemingway explained Tuesday on "Outnumbered."

"[The left] doesn't like people having control over their own lives. And there's this growing authoritarian impulse on the left that has to be stopped. But you pray that … people care enough about it that they'll resist it."

If that's how they want it then they need to lead by example.

Moving forward, ALL Congressmen, Senators, their personnel, Mayors, Governors etc need to be required to ONLY use Prius for their transportation.

The Presidents "Beast" shall be replaced with a Secret Service Driver in a Smart Car.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm down sizing from my C2500 to an S10 due to gas prices, but that's a personal choice. I do wish the headlights were adjusted better on big trucks. It's getting really hard to see anything with an F350 on your ass at night.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I love my ‘baby truck’ Tacoma.

But speaking of dangerous to pedestrians, you can’t hear those EVs sneaking up on you. Some woman in an EV almost hit me in the store parking lot the other day backing out of her spot and not looking. Good thing I saw her because I didn’t hear her.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Oh, I think I'll park my little Tacoma and go back to driving the 2001 Ford Excursion. Love that truck!
Never understood the hatred leveled at the Excursion.

The Chevy Suburban is still around, gets purchased by the thousands and used by Goverment too, and they don't hate on it.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
We had a Suburban that we bought used, it was a lemon from day one. Replaced it with the Ex, also used. The Suburban had more of a car ride feel, Ex rides like a truck.

Hijinx

My F-150 with a 6 cylinder and short bed get 20 average and 26 MPG on a trip.
Not so bad. It is too high though probably because the manufacturers insist on a tire with larger circumference which also cost a lot more at replacement time.
I tow a lot , the boat, the mower, the motorcycle trailer, and it has plenty of power and the short bed turn easily.

People didn't just all of sudden decide to start buying large trucks. The Government forced that. Many people were happy with their large cars and station wagons, but the small cars only hold two adults and two kids. Some families are larger than that. Well, they want to tell you not to have kids too. I see these little smart cars and fiats and little Chevy's on the road and I would rather ride a motorcycle at least I will get thrown off instead of canned like sardine in an accident.
I believe most people are smart enough to figure out what they want to own and what they can afford to own , it offends me when the Government wants my guns, my truck, they want me to eat bugs, they want to tell me where and how to live, while they fly around in their Government or private planes and ride in Suburban's or some other 4 wheel drive tank.

I am fast becoming a person who has no respect whatsoever for any politicians of either party.

Ronaldhutchins

Hey there, trucker community! The debate about the future of pickup trucks is heating up. While it's true that larger trucks can present some safety concerns, it's important to remember that they also play a vital role in American industry and culture. Plus, let's remember the practicality and utility of a truck for those of us in the trucking industry. As for the growing movement towards electric vehicles, us as a society need to consider the benefits and drawbacks of all types of transportation.

Last edited: