Is the U. S. Constitution defective because it does not once name God?

FredFlash

Is the U. S. Constitution defective because it does not once name God? The National Reform Movement believed it was.

Do you agree or disagree with the view that there is a religious defect in the Constitution?

Presented below is an excerpt from a “HISTORY OF THE MOVEMENT TO SECURE THE RELIGIOUS AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES” BY T. P. STEVENSON, Corresponding Secretary of the National Association, Published in 1873.

The religious defect of the Constitution of the United States was not unnoticed at the beginning. Luther Martin, a delegate from Maryland to the Convention which framed it, said: "There were some of the members so' unfashionable as to think that a belief of the existence of a Deity, and of a future state of rewards and punishments, would be some security for the good conduct of our rulers, and that in a Christian country it would be at least decent to hold some distinction between the professors of Christianity and downright infidelity and paganism."

On the 28th of October, 1789, the First Presbytery Eastward in Massachusetts and New Hampshire presented a loyal and patriotic address to President Washington, in which, after expressing their satisfaction in beholding how easily the entire confidence of the people in the man first entrusted with the administration of the new Constitution had eradicated every remaining objection to its form, they add: "Among these [objections] we never considered the want of a religious test-that grand engine of persecution in every tyrant's hand but we should not have been alone in rejoicing to have seen some explicit acknowledgment of the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom He hath sent, inserted somewhere in the Magna Charta of our country."

In the early part of the present century the eminent Dr. John M. Mason, of New York, employed these words: "One would imagine that no occasion of making a pointed and public acknowledgment of the Divine benignity could have presented itself so obviously as the framing an instrument of government which, in the nature of things, must be closely allied to our happiness or our ruin; and yet that very Constitution, which the singular goodness of God enabled us to establish, does not so much as recognize His being."

In the admirable treatise on "The Oath," by the Rev. D. X. Junkin, D. D., published in 1845, the writer says: "The oath of the President of the United States could as well be taken by a pagan or a Mohammedan as by the Chief Magistrate of a Christian people: it excludes the name of the Supreme Being. Indeed, it is negatively atheistical, for no God is appealed to at all. In framing many of our public formularies, greater care seems to have been taken to adapt them to the prejudices of the infidel few than to the consciences of the Christian millions. In these things the minority in our country has hitherto managed to govern the majority. We look on the designed omission of it [the name of God in the oath] as an attempt to exclude from civil affairs Him who is the Governor among the nations."

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text...orm+Association&frm=frameset&view=image&seq=3

FredFlash

The Religious Amendment Movement held that "nations, as such, and not individuals alone, are the subjects of God's moral government, are responsible to Him, and by Him are graciously rewarded for their obedience, or justly punished for their disobedience of His divine laws. We believe also, that our civil and religious liberties, our free institutions, and all our national prosperity, power and glory, are mercies and blessings derived from God to us through the channel of the Christian religion. Notwithstanding, either from inadvertency, or following some Godless theory of civil government, we have omitted even the mention of His blessed name in the most significant and highest act of the nation."

The movement also believed, "that in thus leaving God out of our political system, we have grievously sinned against Him, have brought upon ourselves and children His just displeasure, opened the flood-gates of that political corruption which is the mediate, and given occasion to that prodigious development of the spirit of oppression and injury to the negro race, which is the immediate source of our present calamities and sorrows."

The movement further believed, "that it is our first duty to repent of this and all our national sins, and to return to our obligations as a Christian people, by acknowledging the true God as our God in our fundamental and organic law, in order that we may consistently implore His merciful interposition in our behalf, to give victory to our national arms, and success to the national cause; to establish the unity of the nation and the authority of the Government, now assaulted and shattered by a horrible rebellion. We ask for no union of Church and State-that is a thing which we utterly repudiate; we ask for nothing inconsistent with the largest religious liberty, or the rights of conscience in any man. We represent no sectarian or denominational object, but one in which all who bear the Christian name, and all who have any regard for the Christian religion, can cordially agree; and one to secure which we'are persuaded that any lawful and wise movement would call forth an overwhelming public sentiment in its support."

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Religious freedom also means freedom from religion.

Do you deny my right to bark at the moon and smear racoon blood on my chest to keep the evil demons at bay??

vraiblonde said:
What a bunch of kooks. America was founded by people seeking religious freedom.

Pete

Repete
forestal said:

Do you deny my right to bark at the moon and smear racoon blood on my chest to keep the evil demons at bay??
Absolutely not, I encourage you to bark at the moon and smear raccoon blood on the pale, narrow, fleshy patch you have where most men have a chest. :yay:

I am somewhat disturbed you would kill a raccoon for this ritual....that is if the raccoon didn't kill you first. Ferocious little beasts they are you know.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
forestal said:

Does PETA know about this?