Is there a difference?

IntegritysDream

Generally speaking, is there a difference behavior wise, in a 3 year old then in a 4yr old horse?

I found a nice american warmblood 3 yr old, hes pretty green, but very willing, VERY CHILL, and i saw him spook and be a little goofy (ONE TIME at the canter) and its NOTHING even close to what indy does. His spook was a hop, and his goofy-ness was a shoulder hop on the lunge. Hes used to cows, goats, ect. Hes still small too. About 15.2ish, suppose to get to 16.2/16.3. 3/4 tb, 1/4 clyde morgan

one of my simi-trainers is worried about a 3 year old because they can be "a baby", but she was interesed in me going to look at a 4 year old. Im not too worried about baby moments cause indy has done pretty much everything a horse can do, and then some.. and hes 10 yrs old. :lmao:

My full trainer hasnt seen the videos yet, so i dont know what shes going to say. Devine saw them!

The 3yr old is a great guy, and i think he would be a super 1st project to bring along. Cute mover, great temperment, willing and super laid back, very well behaved on the lunge as well as with a rider. LOVES to jump. very accepting to the bit. Doesnt mean that couldnt change, but you take a risk with any horse weather they are 2, or 15yrs.

NOT saying im going to get the 3 year old, but i do like him. Still looking though. Pics are attaced

Attachments

• jimmyface.JPG
    jimmyface.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 91
  • jimmy troot.jpg
    jimmy troot.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 98
  • jimmy confo.JPG
    jimmy confo.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 96
  • jump.JPG
    jump.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
What I have found out with younge horses, the greener they are, the more like they seem nice and calm with a rider, then after getting used to a rider stupid. Happened to me when breaking my first pony, working with a pony from an auction, Reba, my friend from HSS, and my friend from 4h. Just ALWAYS remember that there young, and you should always be on gaurd.

Now Im not big on younge horses, because you dont want to push them too hard too early. There is a BIG difference in body between a 3yr old and 4.
Especially(sp) if you want to do jumping, or like me, barrel racing.

IntegritysDream

What I have found out with younge horses, the greener they are, the more like they seem nice and calm with a rider, then after getting used to a rider stupid. Happened to me when breaking my first pony, working with a pony from an auction, Reba, my friend from HSS, and my friend from 4h. Just ALWAYS remember that there young, and you should always be on gaurd.

Now Im not big on younge horses, because you dont want to push them too hard too early. There is a BIG difference in body between a 3yr old and 4.
Especially(sp) if you want to do jumping, or like me, barrel racing.

This guy has only been backed a handful of times including the time i got on him and walked him around. If i was to get him, i would def take it very slow. and id probably do dressage with him till he was at least 5 before i started jumping him any. I do know i would start him out on lots of trails as soon as he got confortable with things and get him used to a lot of different things (bombproofing) while he was young. I dont think indy was introduced to a lot (esp trails) when he was younger. Im going to go back up and walk him around off the lunge and then try and trot him (on the lunge) cause itll be his first time trotting with a rider so well see what happens =)

Last edited:

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Well, I can tell you that if he is 3 years old and 15.2 that he is probably not going to make 16.2/3 hands.
Now behavior wise, I do like my 4 year old TB better than when she was 3. Not only has she filled out more and had a little more time to develop but she is also more balanced and ready to do more things. I don't think it would matter though either way, buying a 3 year old versus a 4 year old. Heck, the 4 year old could be less mature than the 3 year old anyways. I wouldn't hesitate to go look around though and see what your options are.
Good luck!