Is there a wreck on 235?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just wondering because it's pretty much been a stand still for the past 35 minutes.

I don't think there has been a huge upturn in jobs on base AND since this has become more of a recent ritual, both in the morning and evening, I'm voting that they have mucked with the lights on 235 and this is now just the normal rush hour stoppage.

This morning from 4 to MacAurthor BLVD it was bumper to bumper, move a few car lengths and stop.
Started to move just south of CRR and then opened up at Millstone Landing.
There is no question the light at CRR was changed when they activated the light for Hickory Hills. It's really FUBAR'd 235

Lizzy4459

I'm down by Gate 3 and I haven't heard any sirens my way so if there is an accident it has to be up towards Gate 1, 2 or Rt 4.

A better question is...when isn't there an accident on 235?

sugar_N_spice

I don't think there has been a huge upturn in jobs on base AND since this has become more of a recent ritual, both in the morning and evening, I'm voting that they have mucked with the lights on 235 and this is now just the normal rush hour stoppage.

This morning from 4 to MacAurthor BLVD it was bumper to bumper, move a few car lengths and stop.
Started to move just south of CRR and then opened up at Millstone Landing.
There is no question the light at CRR was changed when they activated the light for Hickory Hills. It's really FUBAR'd 235

Yup, the traffic jam was just due to the light for CRR. Once I was north of it traffic was fine. I really hope they adjust the timing for that light. There's absolutely no need for it to change as frequently as it does...even during non peak hours.

bohman

Yup, the traffic jam was just due to the light for CRR. Once I was north of it traffic was fine. I really hope they adjust the timing for that light. There's absolutely no need for it to change as frequently as it does...even during non peak hours.

I noticed that, too. The light was only staying green long enough to let a dozen or so northbound cars get through. It's not just annoying, it's dangerous as people start to get pissed off and run the red light because they don't feel like getting stuck for another cycle.

And no, I didn't run the red, but I can't say I wasn't thinking about it. Took me 45 minutes from Pax to that intersection.

smommy

The light at CRR is only staying green for 20 seconds..a lady I work with timed it this morning. What a way to screw up traffic! I left the base yesterday @ 1630 and did not get home until almost 1800. It took me 20 minutes to get from gate 2 to San Souci. This is ridiculous!

smommy

I wonder if everyone will call/email and complain to the Transportation Authority if it will change? Probably not, but worth a try!

1stGenSMIB

You could try this..that is the closest thing I think we have to any 'authority' around here. :whistle:

St. Mary's County Department of Public Works and Transportation - Homepage

Although their site says they are not responsible for 235 since it is a State Highway..probably should try the SHA instead.
Welcome to Maryland State Highway Administration

20 seconds is short...I timed it as well this morning.

edit - For maintenance information or requests on these roadways contact the State’s local office at (301) 475-8035.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat

You know what would help?

About 3-4 more stoplights on 235.

BernieP

Resident PIA

actually there is, they have to move the traffic through the light at Hickory Hills. My guess is the collective intelligence of the MD SHA changed the timing on the light at 235/CRR to sequence it with Hickory Hills and forgot that 235 was the main corridor. But in their defense that's what they were probaly charged to do, enable the light(s) on CRR. The timing of the signals on 235 will have to wait, most likely you would be told, "Because it's not in the budget".

FWIW it's been that way since the fall.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You know what would help?

About 3-4 more stoplights on 235.

be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

I see one coming at the entrance to Olive Garden / Red Robin

Then another between Buck-Hewitt and Exploration Dr.

And if Wal-Mart can have 2, why can't K-Mart have one.

That's three, where can we squeeze in another?

Or how about lowering the speed limit to 35 or even maybe 30 MPH.

:sarcasm:

smommy

The lady I work with called the State High Way Administration and spoke with someone there who stated that they have had several calls already. They are "aware" of the issue and she did ask when the light would be fixed at CRR. The person stated that it will not be fixed by rush hour tonight, but hopefully by tomorrow. There is hope! Let's wait and see!

BernieP

Resident PIA
The lady I work with called the State High Way Administration and spoke with someone there who stated that they have had several calls already. They are "aware" of the issue and she did ask when the light would be fixed at CRR. The person stated that it will not be fixed by rush hour tonight, but hopefully by tomorrow. There is hope! Let's wait and see!

the question should have been, "Why was it changed?"
Honest, but cynical opinion? It will be "fixed", but that fix will only be a marginal improvement. To really "fix it" they need to squence all the lights on CRR and 235 so they work together to enhance the flow of traffic - not disrupt it. It will take months of study (to collect and analyze the traffic patterns). Most important, CRR is not complete. Until it's completed they can't began that process. It's just band aid fixes.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
The light at CRR is only staying green for 20 seconds..a lady I work with timed it this morning. What a way to screw up traffic! I left the base yesterday @ 1630 and did not get home until almost 1800. It took me 20 minutes to get from gate 2 to San Souci. This is ridiculous!

:yeahthat:

Threw off my whole schedule last night. Same thing this morning. -- 35-40 minutes from 235/4 to my desk when it used to take 15! No backup at the gate anymore; just getting past Chancellor's Run and San Souci. I'm sure hoping they fix it soon as it has gone from being a minor inconvenience to a major FUBAR! :cussing: Thanks to those of you who called it in!

BernieP

Resident PIA
:yeahthat:

Threw off my whole schedule last night. Same thing this morning. -- 35-40 minutes from 235/4 to my desk when it used to take 15! No backup at the gate anymore; just getting past Chancellor's Run and San Souci. I'm sure hoping they fix it soon as it has gone from being a minor inconvenience to a major FUBAR! :cussing: Thanks to those of you who called it in!

there you go, it's all part of the grand plan. The base had them screw up the traffic - sort of like having a car break down on the bridge :killingme

We call that transfering the problem.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Looks like they fixed the problem with the signals. However, now that traffic upstream is flowing freely again, it's just stacking up further downstream. You can't win. :ohwell:

shannonbrio

Looks like they fixed the problem with the signals. However, now that traffic upstream is flowing freely again, it's just stacking up further downstream. You can't win. :ohwell:

Yes, you can...carpool or ride share. Reduce the number of cars on the road.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yes, you can...carpool or ride share. Reduce the number of cars on the road.

that would be nice, but most of that traffic is PAX bound and car / van pooling is about as practical as public transportation. Given that parking at a lot of the buildings is bad it would help there as well.
Three are days when you need transportation to get to meetings since everyone is not housed in the same building or in buildings within walking distance. Then there are days when you have to go off site and back.