Is There Any Recourse Against MVA?

TPD

the poor dad
I think this has been addressed on here before by others. This morning before 8am I get a call from my brother - he needs his vehicle towed. SMC sheriff's deputy pulled him over because his tag reader told him to. Lapse of insurance for this vehicle. More than 2 years ago after the passing of my father when the vehicle was transferred to my brother, there was apparently a slight lapse. The executor of the estate took care of the problem. Soon after, brother was stopped for same issue. Goes to MVA - they say no you are good, we see here in our system where it was fixed. Then in August he is stopped again for same issue. Goes to MVA again and they say yup you are good, it was our mistake. We see the history here on the computer so you are good, here are your tags. While there in August, he goes ahead and renews tags for the vehicle which is not due till October. No problem renewing tags. This morning on his way thru Lexington Park, he notices the deputy make a u-turn and follow him for a couple of miles before pulling him over-he's the only vehicle on the road. He knew he wasn't speeding and there were no other issues with the vehicle. Deputy says I gotta take your tags. Brother explains to him he's already been thru this 3 times in the last 2 years. Explains tags just renewed in the last 5 months. Deputy sympathizes with him but says I still gotta take your tags and you will need to be towed home. Offers to call a cab for my brother for a ride back to Ridge. That's when my brother calls me.

So is there anything we the ordinary citizen can do for reimbursement from the state for time and aggravation when the STATE SCREWS UP? Not once but now this is the 4th time! This sh^t pisses me off and it wasn't even me it happened to!

Grumpy

MVA is impossible to deal with...Got bad info from them (twice, plus same advice from Calvert cop) on license renewal. Well, it wasn't as they said..I had to retake the written test, driving test and it cost me 200. From now on, I will demand the MVA employee's name and their supervisor if I have to deal with them. I doubt that would do any good but at least I would have names when I send them a nasty gram.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
MVA is impossible to deal with...Got bad info from them (twice, plus same advice from Calvert cop) on license renewal. Well, it wasn't as they said..I had to retake the written test, driving test and it cost me 200. From now on, I will demand the MVA employee's name and their supervisor if I have to deal with them. I doubt that would do any good but at least I would have names when I send them a nasty gram.
That's me too. You want three wildly different versions of any specific MVA rule or MD MV law?..just ask three different MVA counter employees. For a fourth opinion, talk to someone on their "help" line. They are a complete joke.

rio

At this point it sounds more like the police dept needs to update their computer, not the MVA.

BOTH are a joke to work with, though.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Who is your Delegate and Senator? Write them each a letter outlining what you said here.

Now, a staffer will likely handle it instead of the official but they'll send an inquiry to MVA asking for an explanation. If there's anything a bureaucrat hates it's a Legislative inquiry.

Before you scoff the reality is is that these types of things are what these officials are elected to do.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
So is there anything we the ordinary citizen can do for reimbursement from the state for time and aggravation when the STATE SCREWS UP?
Doubt there is much you can do as I am pretty sure the "employees" have some form of sovereign immunity in dealing with their errors. Like NorthBeach said - contact your reps.

Grumpy

Who is your Delegate and Senator? Write them each a letter outlining what you said here.

Now, a staffer will likely handle it instead of the official but they'll send an inquiry to MVA asking for an explanation. If there's anything a bureaucrat hates it's a Legislative inquiry.

Before you scoff the reality is is that these types of things are what these officials are elected to do.
Years ago, my m-i-l tried to get something straightened out over the phone with MVA..Discussion got a little heated with the MVA employee telling her to 'tell it to the governor'..so she called the governor's office (think it was Ehrlich) and talked to someone there..Within an hour, someone from MVA called back and said she was right, it was an MVA mistake and please accept their apologies.

TPD

the poor dad

This was my first thought as well. Though my delegate is Brian Crosby - not sure how much help he can/will be. I may contact Matt Morgan instead.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Years ago, my m-i-l tried to get something straightened out over the phone with MVA..Discussion got a little heated with the MVA employee telling her to 'tell it to the governor'..so she called the governor's office (think it was Ehrlich) and talked to someone there..Within an hour, someone from MVA called back and said she was right, it was an MVA mistake and please accept their apologies.
There’s probably a footnote in the MVA employees handbook now.

“Don’t tell them to call the governor”

Grumpy

I may contact Matt Morgan instead.

When the covid thing hit, one of my co-workers was on vacation and down in South America on a church thing of some kind. Can't remember all the details but the whole church group couldn't get back into the USA. My office mate got in touch with Matt Morgan and explained it all to him and somehow he got all of them back with 3 days. Sorry, Im not clear on the details but they were looking at a month to get into the country if I remember correctly.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I remember you guys bitching about Deb Ray (who admittedly was a one (losing) issue Delegate).
I don't think any of us in Deb's district complained about her. She was always at events talking to folks. She always let us know what she was doing as a delegate. She came door-to-door through our neighborhood and spent 15-20 minutes talking to my wife. I liked her even if she was an Air Force vet.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't think any of us in Deb's district complained about her. She was always at events talking to folks. She always let us know what she was doing as a delegate. She came door-to-door through our neighborhood and spent 15-20 minutes talking to my wife. I liked her even if she was an Air Force vet.
Crosby is practically invisible....even more so after he was made fully aware he was doing a really piss poor job of representing the views and positions of many he purported to represent. Just another empty suit looking at a local position only as an annoying stepping stone to higher ones.

Reactions: TPD

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Crosby is practically invisible....even more so after he was made fully aware he was doing a really piss poor job of representing the views and positions of many he purported to represent. Just another empty suit looking at a local position only as an annoying stepping stone to higher ones.
I don’t think he has ever been South of Hermanville Road……hides in the Park

Reactions: TPD

mitzi

So is there anything we the ordinary citizen can do for reimbursement from the state for time and aggravation when the STATE SCREWS UP? Not once but now this is the 4th time!

The answer is no. They've screwed me over in the past. I received a random form from them to prove I had insurance. I sent them all the info they needed (FR14 form). Six months later I get a letter saying my tags were suspended due to my not providing the insurance info 6 MONTHS AGO. I had a receipt where I sent it certified. Still, I'm driving around on suspended tags for 6 months and had no clue. It didn't matter that I had signed receipt the paper was received. They had no record of it. I had to take off a day of work and go to MVA to give them the info. There must have been over 30 other people waiting (only 1 guy handled it). What a nightmare. I got a paper stating it was taken care of and my tags weren't suspended anymore. I put it in my purse. Two weeks later it's still in my purse. I got pulled over something minor. My tags came back suspended. I gave the MVA paper to the deputy. He told me it was a good thing I had it with me. He told me to keep it in the car. I asked how long should I. He told me at least a YEAR.