Is this a big deal?

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Yes and no.

For the average user, this will mean something in a few years, once this technology is in the average home PC. Chip makers are having a hard time finding ways to cram more processor power onto a chip, so they're taking an old idea and adding it to new chips. Intel is just a bit behind in this, since multi-core chips have been around for a while in other areas like Unix/Alpha. There just wasn't enough market pressure to force changes to the hardware, Operating System and Software developers in the Windows/Intel arena to look into the technology.

So, compare this to the 64-bit CPU issue. Intel introduced a 64 bit chipset years ago, but it sucked and nobody supported it, so it dropped off. Then as the market pressure mounted, Microsoft introduced a lot more support for 64-bit processing and AMD and Intel were back on the horse. Did you care? Probably not. Did you even notice?

I had the option to buy a 64-bit CPU recently, but didn't bother because the added speed didn't cover the added cost. For heavy-duty processing it's worth the cost, but for the home user its not. I'll probably have the option to buy a Pentium-8 Multi-Core CPU in a few years, and I'll likely opt for the lower speed, lower cost option.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thanks Brian...

...the reason I asked is that the evolution of the home PC for us has meant lots of digital photos being uploaded and home movies now in DVD format.

I've noticed that our resident computer geek does a lot of waiting for various tasks to be performed that eat up a enough of the compters attention that she basically lets it alone for awhile. (It's a newer machine, 2.4ghz 500 something RAM).

So, if I understand this, with the new chip she'll be able to let it burn a CD or DVD and go about surfing or other tasks as though the computer wasn't doing anyhting at all???

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Sounds like it to me...
I'm just curious whether it will be sold as one high-end processor or several small processors.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
AMD has a dual-core that won't be out until "mid 2005" for high-end server applications and client machines at the end of 2005.

AMD also says that Windows and other desktop OS's will support it without major upgrades as was required with the 64-bit. Seeing as how 64-bit took over a year to go from available to home-user level, I'd guess you'll be seeing dual or multi-core chips in high-end home PCs in early 2006.