Is this normal for Nanjemoy?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Not normal, no. At least not in the last 75 years or so. The last bear found this far south was captured by DNR and relocated to the mountains....there's a thread or 2 somewhere about bear sightings in St. Mary's and Calvert Counties about a year or so ago.

Personally, I think they are just trying to reclaim their territory and if DNR would leave them alone, they'd naturally repopulate in Southern Maryland. According to my dad, there were bears in Cedarville State Park when he was a kid...maybe 50 years ago.

I'm not saying I'd be thrilled to have them in my backyard, but I could learn to live with them. Lots of people in lots of places do. There's always a concern that some animal or another is becoming threatened and black bears were once among those ranks, so isn't it a good thing for them to be wondering outside of a few counties in Western Maryland looking for new homes? It's not like they are an invasive species that someone thought to take as a pet, then release to the wild when they got too big.

ciwmj

Not normal, no. At least not in the last 75 years or so. The last bear found this far south was captured by DNR and relocated to the mountains....there's a thread or 2 somewhere about bear sightings in St. Mary's and Calvert Counties about a year or so ago.

Personally, I think they are just trying to reclaim their territory and if DNR would leave them alone, they'd naturally repopulate in Southern Maryland. According to my dad, there were bears in Cedarville State Park when he was a kid...maybe 50 years ago.

I'm not saying I'd be thrilled to have them in my backyard, but I could learn to live with them. Lots of people in lots of places do. There's always a concern that some animal or another is becoming threatened and black bears were once among those ranks, so isn't it a good thing for them to be wondering outside of a few counties in Western Maryland looking for new homes? It's not like they are an invasive species that someone thought to take as a pet, then release to the wild when they got too big.

If you really think about it ,WE are the invasive species.

Anabaptist

Okay, that picture was taken in the Shenendoahs, but I'd be more than happy to see their population rebound in Southern Maryland. They are a natural species that belongs here.

T

toppick08

Okay, that picture was taken in the Shenendoahs, but I'd be more than happy to see their population rebound in Southern Maryland. They are a natural species that belongs here.

Bring back the timber rattlers too..:yay:

Anabaptist

IMO, not enought large areas of standing timber to support them.

If we stop building high-middle class subdivisions and putting low-middle class people in them by special government problems, that will be vacant within a few years, the problem would be solved. Urbanization has destroyed Southern Maryland.

bulldog

If we stop building high-middle class subdivisions and putting low-middle class people in them by special government problems, that will be vacant within a few years, the problem would be solved. Urbanization has destroyed Southern Maryland.

Too late. We could stop today, not build another building and there still is not enough standing timber to support a bear population. At least not in SOMD.

Anabaptist

Too late. We could stop today, not build another building and there still is not enough standing timber to support a bear population. At least not in SOMD.

There is not enough standing timber for the deer we have as well, but we are the ones that ran the black bears out of the area. If they decide to come back, I think we should welcome them. Nanjemoy has enough forest for a small population. We have to remember they are not beasts looking to hunt us down and kill us.

buddscreek

ever see what a black bear can do to calves and lambs? but, by all means let them return. turn the hounds loose on their black @$$ and have a h*!! of a chase.:buddies:

somdshootnet

That's the most intelligent comment I have seen on this entire forum in a long long time.

T

toppick08

I agree...Pax River needs to go...

CheetahCats

Indeed it would be great to have bears back.

However, that said, I also concur that there isn't enough contiguous forest land left to support a bear population; the decades long mediocre urban planning and over development of the region has destroyed that possibility.

IMO the mid-1970's was probably the last time when the region could have realistically supported a bear population.

gemma_rae

I saw 'normal' and 'Nanjemoy' in the same sentence and thought, this can't be right!

Was something different 9 years ago?:sshrug: