Is this theft?

This_person

So, a woman claims her estranged husband ran her off the road and sought a protective order. The judge releases the husband on bail with a condition that he not possess any firearms or ammunition.

"Taylor Irby would later tell police that this is when she decided to take matters into her own hands.

While Joseph Irby was still in police custody, she drove to his apartment, got past the locked front door and collected the guns she knew he had, according to police records obtained by the Lakeland Ledger. Then the 32-year-old turned the weapons over to police.

In return, police arrested her."​

People are up in arms that this poor wittle wady is being improperly treated by her local government because all she did was break and enter and steal, but she gave the guns to the cops so everything is ok, right?

I think she deserves the full weight of the law enforcing not breaking, entering, and grand theft.

What do you think?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Jail the Bitch ...... she should have alerted police or the courts to her husbands perjury to the court

Hijinx

I think it is the husband who needs the protective order.

But that makes me a misogynist . Damn I just can't win.

NextJen

Raisin cane
To answer the OP question - yes, it is theft and as such she should be punished accordingly.

Reading through the whole article and hearing of other incidences where women have been killed by 'significant others', I can understand why she did what she did. I don't condone it necessarily, but I can understand it. I have not walked in her shoes and I cannot say who is the crazy one in this relationship, but if he actually did ram her car and run her off the road (which seems likely from the article), then he probably is a danger to her.

On another note, I have a hard time with 'red-flag' laws because I can see where it can be abused and it denies due process. I can see where angry ex's would lie to have firearms taken from their estranged spouses or significant others just to get back at them. It can be a gray area and sometimes people lose their life because not enough was done to protect them. I am all for letting victims of abuse conceal or open carry. Let them protect themselves - especially since protection for them cannot be provided 24/7.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I see none of you take domestic abuse seriously.
Come on. Yes, it is theft. Yes, it is breaking and entering. Yes, it is her unlawful possession of stolen firearms. Until the domestic charges against the husband, jerk, perp, whatever you want to call him, have been tried and proven, she had no right to do what she did. Why couldn't she just tell the po-po about the weapons and let the local authorities pick them up. She has now made a name for herself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Come on. Yes, it is theft. Yes, it is breaking and entering. Yes, it is her unlawful possession of stolen firearms. Until the domestic charges against the husband, jerk, perp, whatever you want to call him, have been tried and proven, she had no right to do what she did. Why couldn't she just tell the po-po about the weapons and let the local authorities pick them up. She has now made a name for herself.

You know, there's right...and then there's dead right.

You beaters can call her a bunch of names if you want, and that speaks more about you all than it does her. Cops don't protect abused women, and our judicial system is a joke. So yes, legally she should have not taken his guns and just let him kill her, but I fully understand why she decided to try and protect herself instead.

Her mistake was taking the guns to the cops. She should have just taken them and hidden them somewhere. What's he going to do, report them stolen when he's not supposed to have them in the first place?

Her mistake was in trusting law enforcement and the "justice" system.

MiddleGround

You know, there's right...and then there's dead right.

You beaters can call her a bunch of names if you want, and that speaks more about you all than it does her. Cops don't protect abused women, and our judicial system is a joke. So yes, legally she should have not taken his guns and just let him kill her, but I fully understand why she decided to try and protect herself instead.

Her mistake was taking the guns to the cops. She should have just taken them and hidden them somewhere. What's he going to do, report them stolen when he's not supposed to have them in the first place?

You are one of those "Screw the law... an eye for an eye" types huh?

SamSpade

My general beef with the justice system has been that they believe they exist not to serve the people,
but to serve the letter of the law. I can''t recall precisely, but at the end of "The Rain Maker" when the
abusive husband is killed - by someone other than the abused wife - she is advised to claim she did it -
because while she is charged with murder, no jury on earth would convict her.

This would be a case of justice being served, but the law being skirted. And that to me is why we have courts.
We have courts to fill in the blanks between what the law demands and what the law is supposed to do.

But I've been in courts where the poor judge has to hear case after case of sheer unadulterated bullsh!t,
and their patience is short.

So I can see why taking it to the police might not have been her best shot, even if it follows the law.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm curious. Why did you call her a bitch?
Because he hates women. Don't you read his posts?

yeah that's it ... I hate women ... she's a bitch for violating the law ... assuming her own moral authority to 'do the right thing'

I plainly stated she should have alerted the police or courts if she had information counter her husbands assertion about firearms ownership

she is NOT above the law ..... just stop it with your emotional knee jerk reaction

Cops don't protect abused women, and our judicial system is a joke.

Yep true, that does not make her breaking and entering and theft of property Right

.... didn't know Gurps did too.

I do not hate women

nutz

He has been accused of, not proven. Sometimes, you have to wait for the court hearing before condemning someone.

I once shared an apartment with a female. Came home from work one night to find her boyfriend beating on her. I got arrested for assaulting him, she dropped charges against him. Before my court date, came home and again found them fighting. I called the police from the neighbors and went down to the local bar. I learned my lesson.

This_person

Absolutely not the point at all. When everyone was laughing at the guy whose testicles were squeezed until they bled, I was all about pointing out that laughing at domestic abuse just because it was against a man is as wrong as laughing about domestic abuse when it is against a woman.

The point here is that two wrongs - no matter how many times we try and make it be okay - do not make a right.

I fully believe this guy is a POS if half of the charges against him are true. Further, I believe he should be allowed to keep his guns until and unless he uses them against someone in an illegal manner.

The fix is not now nor will it ever be to illegally take his guns.

The fix is to defend yourself against him, should he try and do more. As pointed out above, no jury with any good reason convicts a person of defending themselves.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ideally women don't take up with shitty men in the first place. Let him go beat the crap out of some other dummy. But there it is.

It's kind of ironic that the woman trying to protect herself may do time for theft, while the guy who beat her ass and threatened her life will likely face no punishment. No doubt he's getting a chuckle out of that.