Is your partner entitled to your passwords in a relationship?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The risks of sharing passwords in a relationship

But just because it’s common and can help to build trust , showing transparency does not mean sharing passwords with your partner is always a good idea. It will appear beautiful and wonderful when all is well with you both. The minute a breakup occurs then that’s when the sweating and fear will begin, sometimes as far as blackmail. So be wise! When an ex has access to your details, it is a big risk of a million and one things going bad.

Sharing password establishes trust no doubt, but the point here is it can also be extremely risky. A partner that seems trustworthy at first could easily use your password to commit fraud or worse still identity theft, buy things you don’t want, clear out your credit card, swipe your whole cash, relocate with all you have or expose you to harmful virus, debt and land you in jail.

There’s also a risk that your partner could take advantage and revenge against you or anyone they wish to harm in the event of a breakup. The lure of people sharing your private info to the world is real and can destroy your life. Everything being rosy now does not mean it will remain rosy. Change is a constant fact of life

https://thenationonlineng.net/is-your-partner-entitled-to-your-passwords-in-a-relationship/

SamSpade

My wife and I often share passwords, because they largely exist to keep the rest of the WORLD out, but not necessarily each other.
We usually know what passwords we each use, and know enough about them to say "it's the one with blah-blah-blah".
When you've been with a person a few decades, you know stuff about them their own friends and family don't.

That said, we leave each other's private stuff alone - emails and texts and such. I think even in marriage, you should still be able to have privacy.

But "in a relationship"? As in, not married? Not a chance. And I have enough past relationships to know it would be VERY BAD for them to still have access to anything private, of mine.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But "in a relationship"? As in, not married? Not a chance. And I have enough past relationships to know it would be VERY BAD for them to still have access to anything private, of mine.

That's what I was wondering - are they talking about just giving some rando boyfriend your passwords? Uh hell no.

nobody really

I need a nap
I agree with Vrail ---- hell no if its just a boyfriend. But back in the day when I was married, we had one single email account, and passwords were never an issue. Would I share one with just a random guy I was dating? no. And even if the relationship progressed and we lived happily ever after, probably not. You can sense when someone is cheating. You don't need passwords.

I do remember a friend was proud to admit there were no secrets between her and her husband, because she had all his passwords (I'd catch him! she proudly admitted). And yet he was screwing her neighbor. right under her nose.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have to set up all accounts including my husband's FB account so he needs to ask me what the passwords are most of the time. :lol:

Clem72

Our conversation usually consists of:
Me: "hey, hon, I got an alert from https://haveibeenpwned.com/ says your Netflix account has been hacked because you are still using the same password everywhere".
Her: "yeah, sure, ill get right on that".
Also her, six months later: "They shut off our Netflix because people were logging in from Nigeria and the Philippines".
Me: ":doh:"