Isaiah 14 Babylonians, Philistines, and preachers

seekeroftruth

Isaiah 14:1The Lord will have compassion on Jacob;
once again he will choose Israel
and will settle them in their own land.
Foreigners will join them
and unite with the descendants of Jacob.
2 Nations will take them
and bring them to their own place.
And Israel will take possession of the nations
and make them male and female servants in the Lord’s land.
They will make captives of their captors
and rule over their oppressors.
3 On the day the Lord gives you relief from your suffering and turmoil and from the harsh labor forced on you, 4 you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon:
How the oppressor has come to an end!
How his fury[a] has ended!
5 The Lord has broken the rod of the wicked,
the scepter of the rulers,
6 which in anger struck down peoples
with unceasing blows,
and in fury subdued nations
with relentless aggression.
7 All the lands are at rest and at peace;
they break into singing.

8 Even the junipers and the cedars of Lebanon
gloat over you and say,
“Now that you have been laid low,
no one comes to cut us down.”
9 The realm of the dead below is all astir
to meet you at your coming;
it rouses the spirits of the departed to greet you—
all those who were leaders in the world;
it makes them rise from their thrones—
all those who were kings over the nations.
10 They will all respond,
they will say to you,
“You also have become weak, as we are;
you have become like us.”
11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave,
along with the noise of your harps;
maggots are spread out beneath you
and worms cover you.
12 How you have fallen from heaven,
morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
13 You said in your heart,
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.[b]
14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”
15 But you are brought down to the realm of the dead,
to the depths of the pit.
16 Those who see you stare at you,
they ponder your fate:
“Is this the man who shook the earth
and made kingdoms tremble,
17 the man who made the world a wilderness,
who overthrew its cities
and would not let his captives go home?”
18 All the kings of the nations lie in state,
each in his own tomb.
19 But you are cast out of your tomb
like a rejected branch;
you are covered with the slain,
with those pierced by the sword,
those who descend to the stones of the pit.
Like a corpse trampled underfoot,
20 you will not join them in burial,
for you have destroyed your land
and killed your people.
Let the offspring of the wicked
never be mentioned again.
21 Prepare a place to slaughter his children
for the sins of their ancestors;
they are not to rise to inherit the land
and cover the earth with their cities.
22 “I will rise up against them,”
declares the Lord Almighty.
“I will wipe out Babylon’s name and survivors,
her offspring and descendants,”
declares the Lord.
23 “I will turn her into a place for owls
and into swampland;
I will sweep her with the broom of destruction,”
declares the Lord Almighty.
24 The Lord Almighty has sworn,
“Surely, as I have planned, so it will be,
and as I have purposed, so it will happen.
25 I will crush the Assyrian in my land;
on my mountains I will trample him down.
His yoke will be taken from my people,
and his burden removed from their shoulders.”
26 This is the plan determined for the whole world;
this is the hand stretched out over all nations.
27 For the Lord Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart him?
His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?
28 This prophecy came in the year King Ahaz died:
29 Do not rejoice, all you Philistines,
that the rod that struck you is broken;

from the root of that snake will spring up a viper,
its fruit will be a darting, venomous serpent.
30 The poorest of the poor will find pasture,
and the needy will lie down in safety.
But your root I will destroy by famine;
it will slay your survivors.
31 Wail, you gate! Howl, you city!
Melt away, all you Philistines!
A cloud of smoke comes from the north,
and there is not a straggler in its ranks.

32 What answer shall be given
to the envoys of that nation?
“The Lord has established Zion,
and in her his afflicted people will find refuge.”

a. Isaiah 14:4 Dead Sea Scrolls, Septuagint and Syriac; the meaning of the word in the Masoretic Text is uncertain.
b. Isaiah 14:13 Or of the north; Zaphon was the most sacred mountain of the Canaanites

I got this from Bible-studys.org, and I think it's an interesting statement.

“Is this the man”? The complete role reversal from the most powerful to utter humiliation will provoke universal amazement.
A king who has fallen under God's judgment is no better off than the people he tricked into believing he had great power. They are both in hell together. The very same thing is true of the devil, Satan, or Lucifer. Jesus defeated him on the cross. He is a defeated foe.​
This is from enduringword.com.

Hell from beneath is excited about you: Hell itself is excited to meet the king of Babylon, because it can’t wait to be the place where the one who tortured so many is tortured himself. This was true both for the king of literal Babylon, and the king of spiritual Babylon.​
Your pomp is brought down… the maggot is spread under you, and worms cover you: In the end, it just won’t be defeat for the king of Babylon. Both for the literal and spiritual kings of Babylon, there defeat in hell will be disgusting and degrading.​
Those who see you will gaze at you… “Is this the man who made the earth tremble… Who did not open the house of his prisoners”: When the king of literal Babylon fell, his weakness was exposed, and others were amazed that he once had so much power, and so many feared him. The same will happen when the king of spiritual Babylon falls. People will see him for what he really is and be amazed at how much power he actually had.​
I will sweep it with the broom of destruction: The destruction of Babylon – both literal and spiritual – will be complete. The LORD will cut off from Babylon the name and remnant. There will not even be a remnant of Babylon left.​
Do not rejoice, all you of Philista, because the rod that struck you is broken: There was constant warfare between Israel and the Philistines, and so on many occasions, Israel was the rod that struck the Philistines. Now, when Israel and Judah are humbled, God does not want the Philistines to glory in it.​
All you of Philista are dissolved: Some see in this a future judgment for “modern Philistines,” that is, Palestinians. The name “Palestine” is a Latin name from the name Philista, and this may be a prophetic warning to the Palestinians: do not rejoice in the suffering or downfall of Israel, because worse judgment will befall you.​
The poor of His people shall take refuge in it: This was the second part of God’s answer. God’s place of security is not for the rich and self-sufficient. It is for the poor of His people. It is the poor in spirit who find refuge in God’s city.​
God used the Babylonians to teach His humans a lesson. The children if Israel wouldn't listen to God anymore.... Ahaze [king of Judah because Judah and Israel were split up] was so full of himself.... so sure that he was a real king.... that he moved God's stuff out of God's house and moved some home made crap in to take its place.

IMHO.... Ahaze started thinking he was a god like pharaoh. This is the point where the rich go sour..... when the rich think they are too powerful to be found in a jail cell with a rope around their neck. Ahaze was led out of Judah by the nose. They actually put a ring through his nose and attached a chain to it.

The Babylonians and the Philistines [today it's Palestinians] were enemies of Judah. God allowed the Babylonians to defeat His humans in Judah. God warned the people.... they didn't listen. Their kings went foul and they didn't cry out.... so it's not just the kings that were foul.... the wishy washy humans needed to stand up for what's right.... IMHO.

The Babylonians and the Philistines got a big head when God "allowed" them to win a few battles in history. The Babylonians and the Philistines thought they were bigger and badder than they really were. Like the rich guy who thinks he can get away with anything because he has so many shiny idols.... they got a big head and needed to be put back in their place.

I use to play tetherball as a kid. I was a foot taller than all the other kids so I had an advantage. Every now and then.... I would "let" one of my friends "beat me" because I wanted to go play something else. It was boring beating everyone in line..... I wanted to go do something else.... but I had to be careful who I "let beat me". Because they would get a big head.

Oh... and be careful preachers.... it isn't you who is winning the people over to God.... it's God through you.... don't get such a big head that you forget the real value of that flock.

☕