Make your shadow like night—
at high noon.
Hide the fugitives,
do not betray the refugees.
4 Let the Moabite fugitives stay with you;
be their shelter from the destroyer.”
The oppressor will come to an end,
and destruction will cease;
the aggressor will vanish from the land.
5 In love a throne will be established;
in faithfulness a man will sit on it—
one from the house[a] of David—
one who in judging seeks justice
and speeds the cause of righteousness.
6 We have heard of Moab’s pride—
how great is her arrogance!—
of her conceit, her pride and her insolence;
but her boasts are empty.
7 Therefore the Moabites wail,
they wail together for Moab.
Lament and grieve
for the raisin cakes of Kir Hareseth.
8 The fields of Heshbon wither,
the vines of Sibmah also.
The rulers of the nations
have trampled down the choicest vines,
which once reached Jazer
and spread toward the desert.
Their shoots spread out
and went as far as the sea.[b]
9 So I weep, as Jazer weeps,
for the vines of Sibmah.
Heshbon and Elealeh,
I drench you with tears!
The shouts of joy over your ripened fruit
and over your harvests have been stilled.
10 Joy and gladness are taken away from the orchards;
no one sings or shouts in the vineyards;
no one treads out wine at the presses,
for I have put an end to the shouting.
11 My heart laments for Moab like a harp,
my inmost being for Kir Hareseth.
12 When Moab appears at her high place,
she only wears herself out;
when she goes to her shrine to pray,
it is to no avail.
13 This is the word the Lord has already spoken concerning Moab. 14 But now the Lord says: “Within three years, as a servant bound by contract would count them,Moab’s splendor and all her many people will be despised, and her survivors will be very few and feeble.”

a. Isaiah 16:5 Hebrew tent
b. Isaiah 16:8 Probably the Dead Sea

This is from bible_studys.org.

Moab’s only hope is in making peace with Judah. “Send ye the lamb” means they must pay tribute to the Davidic dynasty. Sela refers to Petra, the capital of Edom, which was carved out of the rocks and served as a natural hiding place. “Let mine outcasts dwell with thee” seems to refer to Israel’s fleeing to Petra during the last days to escape the invasion from the north (predicted in Ezekiel 38 and 39). The reference to one sitting on the throne in the tabernacle of David would seem to place this passage in a millennial context.​

This is from enduringword.com.

Send the lamb to the ruler of the land: The idea behind this is that Moab should resume their bringing of tribute to Jerusalem, thereby submitting themselves to God again. This kind of tribute is described in 2 Kings 3:4-5, where Mesha, King of Moab, who once paid tribute to Israel, stopped doing so when King Ahab of Israel died. Here, Isaiah counsels Moab to resume this payment of tribute.​
As a wandering bird thrown out of the nest: Isaiah paints a powerful picture of the helpless, confused state of Moab under the hand of God’s judgment. They are like a wandering bird thrown out of the nest, confused, weak, and vulnerable. Their only recourse is to submit themselves to Jerusalem and its King again.
Hide the outcasts: Here, in the compassion of his prophecy, Isaiah pleads with the rulers of Judah to hide the outcasts of Moab. Again, his great sympathies are probably due to the connection between Moab and the royal house of David.
Let My outcasts dwell with you, O Moab: This is a sudden and curious change of focus. In Isaiah 16:3, Judah was counseled to receive the outcasts of Moab. Now, Moab is asked to receive the outcasts of Judah. Bultema thinks that Isaiah 16:4-5 is an end-times prophecy of how Moab will be a place of refuge for Jews escaping the fury of the Antichrist after the abomination of desolation.​
Israel, fleeing from the fury of the Antichrist, will find refuge in places like Moab (Revelation 12:6, 12:13-14). They will be protected from the face of the spoiler until devastation ceases and the oppressors are consumed out of the land.​
Within three years: Isaiah, speaking for the LORD, announces that judgment will come upon Moab in this time period. The judgment will humble Moab: The glory of Moab will be despised.​
Within three years: Since we don’t know the exact date of Isaiah’s prophecy, it is impossible to independently verify the accuracy of the within three years prediction. But in the phrasing this is the word of which the LORD has spoken concerning Moab since that time, we gather that most of Isaiah 15-16 was given at an earlier time, and the within three years aspect was added at the right time, at a later date.​

The commentaries are back into trying to figure out the three years..... have they already happened? Is this Babylonian capture type stuff or is this end times stuff?

This is from the easy English site.

Lambs (young sheep) were a traditional gift among the people in Moab (see 2 Kings 3:4).​
Young women are the refugees in greatest danger during times of war.
There was always a close relation between the people from Judah and the people from Moab, especially during times of trouble (see Ruth 1:1)​
A proud attitude is not merely stupid. It always disappoints. And it ends in tears.
‘Exactly three years’ This is the sort of language that a hired workman uses. He will frequently calculate the number of days that still remain on his contract. People can completely trust what God says. So these words emphasise this principle. It is as sure as a legal contract.​
Ruth was from Moab. Naomi and her husband moved to Moab when there was a famine going on in Judah.... they had two boys who married two Moabite children. Their boys were killed in battle.... and Naomi's husband was lost in battle as well.... alone... with no husband to protect her.... Naomi decided to go back to Judah.... she told her daughters-in-law to stay in Moab because they could find new husbands. One took Naomi's advice.... but Ruth.... gave up everything to go to Judah. Ruth went to Judah and met Boaz..... and became the great great whatever grandmother of Jesus the Messiah.

That's not the only connection to Judah.... Moab paid Judah for protection..... There was an alliance.... There was a contract?

I am an old woman with an online Bible and some online commentary.... this is way over my head..... I see this chapter as a warning.... that the average guy can understand.... contracts have time limits.... there was a time limit on Moab's contract.... and if that contract [or agreement] wasn't renewed BY GOD then no one would be safe. Moab is being warned to pay tribute to Judah..... Ruth made Moab part of the Bible.... and Moab had to keep their place in the family... right?

☕

Last edited: