3 Many peoples will come and say,
“Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
to the temple of the God of Jacob.
He will teach us his ways,
so that we may walk in his paths.”
The law will go out from Zion,
the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
4 He will judge between the nations
and will settle disputes for many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
nor will they train for war anymore.
5 Come, descendants of Jacob,
let us walk in the light of the Lord.
6 You, Lord, have abandoned your people,
the descendants of Jacob.
They are full of superstitions from the East;
they practice divination like the Philistines
and embrace pagan customs.
7 Their land is full of silver and gold;
there is no end to their treasures.
Their land is full of horses;
there is no end to their chariots.

8 Their land is full of idols;
they bow down to the work of their hands,
to what their fingers have made.
9 So people will be brought low
and everyone humbled—
do not forgive them.[a]
10 Go into the rocks, hide in the ground
from the fearful presence of the Lord
and the splendor of his majesty!
11 The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled
and human pride brought low;
the Lord alone will be exalted in that day.
12 The Lord Almighty has a day in store
for all the proud and lofty,

for all that is exalted
(and they will be humbled),
13 for all the cedars of Lebanon, tall and lofty,
and all the oaks of Bashan,
14 for all the towering mountains
and all the high hills,
15 for every lofty tower
and every fortified wall,
16 for every trading ship[b]
and every stately vessel.
17 The arrogance of man will be brought low
and human pride humbled;

the Lord alone will be exalted in that day,
18 and the idols will totally disappear.
19 People will flee to caves in the rocks
and to holes in the ground
and the splendor of his majesty,
when he rises to shake the earth.
20 In that day people will throw away
to the moles and bats
their idols of silver and idols of gold,
which they made to worship.
21 They will flee to caverns in the rocks
and to the overhanging crags
and the splendor of his majesty,
when he rises to shake the earth.
22 Stop trusting in mere humans,
who have but a breath in their nostrils.
Why hold them in esteem?

a. Isaiah 2:9 Or not raise them up
b. Isaiah 2:16 Hebrew every ship of Tarshish

There's a famous verse here.... Verse 4 is about beating our swords into plowshares and our spears into pruning spears. I was taught it was because there was no war.... that's what it says..... they won't train for war anymore.... but maybe it's more that that.....could it also be that people started working together to feed and house the poor? Verse 9 says everyone will be humbled.... but that doesn't mean they will be forgiven..... to me that means people are going to realize what they have done and they will beg God to forgive them.... I think this is where the roll is called and those who figured they would be spared because they were "good people that just didn't happen to believe in God".... will be humbled and left behind. Verse 12 says there's a special day in store for all those who are too good "for all that God stuff". Verses 17 and 18 say humans who think humans can do anything will be humbled and all those shiny little idols will disappear. Verse 19 is saying "Earthquake"! God's going to shake the whole earth!!!!! People are going to hide in caves and holes in the ground..... people will be calling out for help.... Humans won't be able to do anything but hold on and ...... wait.... if they don't believe in God.... who will they pray to????

I have to admit... most of the commentaries are way over my head. I'm going with the easy English site this morning.

In the note about Isaiah 1:1, we have explained that the word ‘saw’ in Isaiah often means ‘understood’. Really, the original meaning of the Hebrew word was this. It meant ‘to split [something] open in order to see what is inside’. It is what you would do with a nut. You would break the shell to find the nut inside. Isaiah saw the things that were happening in his country. But he did not just look at the outside of those things. He ‘saw’ inside things. He ‘saw’ what they meant. He understood history.
This verse here (Isaiah 2:1) probably refers to Isaiah 2:2 to 4:6. Nearly all of that passage is about Jerusalem. It contains three descriptions of Jerusalem:​
· Jerusalem as God would like it to be (Isaiah 2:2-5).​
· Jerusalem as it was in Isaiah’s time (Isaiah 2:6 to 3:26).​
· Jerusalem as it would be when God saved his people (Isaiah 4:2-6).​

Verse 4 This verse continues from verse 3, which refers to God as the maker of laws. So here God acts as the judge. He says which nation is right or wrong. He makes that decision. At that time, people will change the things that they used to fight with. They will use the metal to make objects that will help them to produce food in their fields. A ‘spear’ is a long stick with a sharp point at its end. Or it is a knife with a very long handle. When a gardener ‘prunes’ a plant, he cuts part of it off. Then the plant grows better. Ploughs are tools that people use on a farm. And so are knives with which to prune plants. Instead of war, there will be peace. Today, Isaiah would probably say ‘guns’ and ‘bombs’ instead of ‘swords’ and ‘spears’. Some bombs contain a chemical called ‘potassium nitrate’, which would actually make plants grow better!
Verse 9 Here the writer is ‘playing with words’ again. Look again at verse 8. There, people bent down low on their knees in front of their images. But here, it is God that makes the people humble and low. They will not be important or powerful. God will make them the opposite. Isaiah prays that God will not lift them up again. ‘Lift them up again’ means ‘make them important and powerful again’.​
Verse 12 In verses 11 and 12, the Hebrew word that the writer uses for ‘time’ can also mean ‘day’. Many Bible students call this time that the LORD chooses ‘the Day of the LORD’. Such a time has often happened in the past, but one day it will happen for the last time. Very proud and important people think that they are very special. But God does not think that they are special! The ‘LORD of Everything’ is a special name for God. Some Bible students translate it ‘LORD of Armies of Angels’. An ‘angel’ is a servant of God. Angels live in heaven (God’s home). There are very many angels. They continue to do God’s work on the Earth also, although we cannot see them.​
Verse 18 An ‘idol’ may be a picture of a false god. Or it may be a false god that people have made from wood or stone. The Hebrew words for ‘idol’ and ‘God’ are similar to each other. But the Hebrew word for ‘idol’ does not mean ‘God’. It means ‘no god’. Idols are really ‘no-gods’! They are ‘no good’!
Verse 19 People will do what Isaiah said in verse 10. God will ‘shake the Earth’. In other words, he will do something big that everybody knows about. At the start of verse 19, the Hebrew words just mean ‘they will run’. Perhaps ‘they’ means the idols in verse 18. Or perhaps it means the people that made the idols.​
Verse 22 People breathe through their noses because God made them like that. They only breathe while God allows them to breathe. The Hebrew Bible actually has a question here, ‘What value do they have?’ The answer to the question is probably: ‘They are not as great as God!’ So, Isaiah tells us not to trust in people. They have no value in themselves only. We may ask, ‘If people cannot help you, who can?’ The answer is ‘God’! This verse really starts the next section about bad leaders (Isaiah 3:1-8).​
People think they are all that...... but people are only human.....

I am contemplating this.... mind you, I am only an old woman with an online Bible and some commentary..... but I am contemplating just how much I can trust the government to keep me safe. If there were something out in space headed to earth at an alarming speed.... that would shake the earth so bad the whole planet would shake.... would they tell us? I think I want a good telescope and a pillow to save my aching knees.

☕