Isaiah 50 Walk in the dark

seekeroftruth

Isaiah 50:1 This is what the Lord says:
“Where is your mother’s certificate of divorce
with which I sent her away?
Or to which of my creditors
did I sell you?
Because of your sins you were sold;
because of your transgressions your mother was sent away.
2 When I came, why was there no one?
When I called, why was there no one to answer?
Was my arm too short to deliver you?
Do I lack the strength to rescue you?
By a mere rebuke I dry up the sea,
I turn rivers into a desert;
their fish rot for lack of water
and die of thirst.
3 I clothe the heavens with darkness
and make sackcloth its covering.”
4 The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue,
to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.
5 The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;
I have not been rebellious,
I have not turned away.

6 I offered my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from mocking and spitting.
7 Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
and I know I will not be put to shame.
8 He who vindicates me is near.
Who then will bring charges against me?
Let us face each other!
Who is my accuser?
Let him confront me!
9 It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me.
Who will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
the moths will eat them up.
10 Who among you fears the Lord
and obeys the word of his servant?
Let the one who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the Lord
and rely on their God.

11 But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go, walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment.
I think this is about non-believers and believers. The commentary is from bible-studys.org.

This chapter begins with an emphasis on the Lord’s unbreakable commitment of marriage to His people Judah. The question “Where is the bill of your mother’s divorcement?” is rhetorical, and the implied answer is that there is none. This should be viewed in contrast with (Jeremiah 3:8), where the Lord states that He divorced Israel and threatens Judah with the same. In spite of their sins, He never severed Himself from the Davidic line.
The chapter also includes a prophecy of Christ’s suffering. “I gave my back to the smiters” is referred to (in Matthew 27:26), in relation to the scourging that Christ received. “My cheeks to them that plucked off the hair”, refers to the plucking out of His beard. The reference to “spitting” (is verified in Matthew 26:67). The Servant is again seen as an individual suffering for the sins of the people.​
This is the third of 4 Servant-songs and it is Messiah’s soliloquy about being perfected through obedience (verses 4-5), and sufferings (verse 6). The Apostle John writes much about Jesus’ obedience to God in fulfilling His will.​
No matter how He was mistreated, mocked and repudiated, the Servant had full confidence of the Lord God’s support, so He welcomed an adversary to come.​
Here was a call to the unconverted to believe and be saved, along with a warning that those who tried to escape moral, spiritual darkness by lighting their own fire (man-made religion, works righteousness), were to end up in eternal torment.
So the Servant Song idea came up.... and I had to find out more about that This is from Got Questions.

There are four “Servant Songs” of Isaiah that describe the service, suffering, and exaltation of the Servant of the Lord, the Messiah. All four songs show the Messiah to be God’s meek and gentle Servant. He is a royal figure, representing Israel in its ideal form; He is the high priest, atoning for the sins of the world. Isaiah predicts that this Servant of the Lord would deliver the world from the prison of sin. In the royal terminology of the ancient Near East, a servant was a “trusted envoy,” a “confidential representative,” or “one who is chosen.” The Servant Songs are found in Isaiah 42:1–9; Isaiah 49:1–13; Isaiah 50:4–11; and Isaiah 52:13—53:12.​
I saw enduringword.com this morning. It kept popping up in the searches.... so I checked out the commentary and I found the notes on verse 5 interesting.
The Lord GOD has opened My ear, and I was not rebellious: The Messiah, speaking prophetically, looks back to a custom described in Exodus 21:5-6, where a servant became a willing bondslave to his master. The sign of this willing servant was the ear opened by the piercing of an awl, done against the entry doorway of the master. This speaks of the total submission of the Messiah to the Lord GOD.​
If, after the six years of servitude, a servant wished to make a life-long commitment to his master – in light of the master’s goodness and his blessings for the servant – he could, through this ceremony, make a life-long commitment to his master. This was a commitment not motivated by debt or obligation, only love for the master.
In the ceremony, the servant’s ear would be pierced – opened – with an awl, in the presence of witnesses – then, he shall serve him for ever (Exodus 21:5-6). Psalm 40:6 also speaks of this ceremony taking place between the Father and the Son, where the Psalmist speaks prophetically for the Messiah: Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; my ears You have opened. Jesus was a perfect bond-slave to the Father (Philippians 2:7).​

OK.... don't skip over the stuff from the commentaries..... sometimes I find the strangest notes. Ear piercing..... was a form of branding, apparently. Now, I don't have a problem with arguing with the commentaries from time to time.... and I do have one little problem with the last commentary..... the commentary says: " This was a commitment not motivated by debt or obligation, only love for the master." The way I read it.... the man went into servitude for a six year stint.... that's like being indentured. At the end of the six years.... a man could go free. HOWEVER.... if the man was given a wife during that period.... and the wife had children during that period..... the wife and the children belonged to the master.... not the indentured servant. If the man wanted to stay with his wife and children.... he had to have his ear pierced.... meaning he was a servant for life to the guy who "owned" his family.

My great great whatever grandfather was indentured. My mother's family [Athey] was from Ireland.... my great great whatever grandfather came over to the colonies in the 1600's indentured to Sir Thomas Dent.... right there in St. Mary's County. By the time my great great whatever grandfather ended his contract.... he had amassed a little land of his own..... He was free.

If Sir Thomas Dent owned my great great grandfather's family..... I'm not so sure he would have left. Wherever he chose to go he would still be tied to his family that he left behind for his own freedom. The commentary says that the commitment was not motivated by obligation..... but loving a family is an obligation..... to oneself. Why leave?

I really like verse 10..... walking in the dark. At first it was about something evil..... but then I realized it's about blind faith. The other night the electric went out. We have plenty of night lights.... unfortunately.... all our nightlights are plug ins..... so when the electric goes out.... we loose our night lights. Why is it.... now that I am old....when I am awakened by a good thunderstorm in the dark of the night.... I have to go to the bathroom. It's so dark in my place that I can't see my hand in front of my face.... and I have to go to the bathroom. It's like when someone says "don't look" you have to look.

Walking from my bed to the bathroom..... and making sure the seat is in the proper position.... in the pitch black of night..... is like what I think of as blind faith.

☕