isoxsuprine and farriers

devinej

has anyone ever used isoxsuprine? my horse has an upright foot, alright, fine, it looks like a club foot, but not really severe. I've had him on it for about a year because the vet said it would help and i really don't know if its helping or not. I need to cut back on his supplements to save some money, and i wonder if stopping the isoxsuprine would be a big mistake...

he's always had crappy feet and they are at their best ever right now thanks to a god-like farrier, who i will also be leaving if i move to st.mary's. are there any particularly good farriers in that are?

thanks,

julie

Farrier

devinej said:
has anyone ever used isoxsuprine? my horse has an upright foot, alright, fine, it looks like a club foot, but not really severe. I've had him on it for about a year because the vet said it would help and i really don't know if its helping or not. I need to cut back on his supplements to save some money, and i wonder if stopping the isoxsuprine would be a big mistake...

he's always had crappy feet and they are at their best ever right now thanks to a god-like farrier, who i will also be leaving if i move to st.mary's. are there any particularly good farriers in that are?

thanks,

julie

Was your lame prior to the isox? Has your horse been diagnosed with Navicular or laminitis? Isox is a vasodilator and is used to improve blood flow to the vessels in the hoof. So before you cut out the isox. I would be sure of exactly why it ws prescribed. I am sure the increased blood flow has alot to do with the increase in hoof quality along with compentent hoof care.JMHO

devinej

Hi Farrier!

thanks for responding. I'm not with the same vet as i've moved, but he perscribed it because my horse had a 1 or 2 degree lameness on small circles on the upright foot. my trainer was convinced it was just because of his conformation. still seemed a little off, I had the coffin joint injected, that seemed to help. His xrays didn't show any navicular change. Then he had a bout with laminitis which has been completely cleared up for the past 2 months. geez, after reviewing all of this perhaps i've answered my own question....but he still trots the same, reaches just slightly shorter with the upright foot. (apparently these things matter when in a prepurchase exam...but i'm not trying to sell him anymore).

hey, a farrier with a website, that's cool. I like the photos page, your work looks nice!

Last edited:

Farrier

devinej said:
Hi Farrier!

thanks for responding. I'm not with the same vet as i've moved, but he perscribed it because my horse had a 1 or 2 degree lameness on small circles on the upright foot.

Dose he have a toe first or heel first landing?

devinej said:
my trainer was convinced it was just because of his conformation.

Is one leg longer than the other?

devinej said:
still seemed a little off, I had the coffin joint injected, that seemed to help. His xrays didn't show any navicular change.

Were there previous x-rays to compare to?

devinej said:
Then he had a bout with laminitis which has been completely cleared up for the past 2 months.

What was the cause for the laminitis?

devinej said:
geez, after reviewing all of this perhaps i've answered my own question....but he still trots the same, reaches just slightly shorter with the upright foot. (apparently these things matter when in a prepurchase exam...but i'm not trying to sell him anymore).

hey, a farrier with a website, that's cool. I like the photos page, your work looks nice!

Thank you.

devinej

heel first, I don't think one leg is longer than the other, i could measure today. one heel is taller, so if each leg is the same length from heel bulb to elbow, i suppose the leg with the upright foot would be slightly taller. the x rays compared his 8 year old x rays to his 3 or 4 year old x rays. I don't know what the cause for laminitis was. we didn't figure out it was laminitis until 3 months after it happened, change of barns, change in farrier. it was not severe, but made him too sore to ride at the time we think it happened. we think it happened after he spent 4 days trailering back and forth to a show, jumpers.

thanks for your help!

Julie