It just occurred to me why "reparations" is a thing again

This_person

Come on. Really? Google, DuckDuckGo, Bing, Yahoo, or any other number of search engines scouring and indexing the web, are your friend. Get busy. And don't just come back here with one account debunking or minimizing their role. Do some real honest open minded research.

The West Africans who most prospered in the transatlantic slave trade were those from the most warlike and tightly organised societies with strong rulers who preyed on their neighbours. These societies would be more likely to wage war on their neighbouring communities, enslave prisoners of war and trade them to the Europeans.

The rulers of these societies usually appointed caboceers (traders) to deal with European slave traders. Many, such as the caboceer from the Fante people, John Currantee, or the leader from the Efik people Ephraim Robin John (known to the European traders as King George) were well-known as canny and ruthless dealers. They were able to communicate in a number of European and African languages. The African slave traders were skilled in using to their advantage the rivalries between the French, the English and the Dutch to get the best prices for their slaves. Often they demanded (and received) ‘gifts’ or ‘custom fees’, known in some quarters as ‘dashee’, from the Europeans.
Some North American people cynically place the blame for the enslavement of African people on the shoulders of African collaborators who participated in the kidnapping of their own people. Impacted by the social destruction wreaked by invading Europeans, a tiny minority of the conquered people did find their own survival by participating in this treachery.

The setting up of collaborators among the colonized population has been a successful tool of domination in every instance of European colonialism around the world. Africa is no exception. Europeans attack societies in Africa, Asia, or the Americas, destroying their traditional economies and long-standing social relationships. A unilateral colonial economy, which starves the people and creates the dependency on the colonial power, is militarily enforced.
Researchers uncover Africans' part in slavery
October 20, 1995
Web posted at: 8:25 p.m. EDT

From Correspondent Gary Strieker

CAPE COAST, Ghana (CNN) -- For centuries along the West African coast, millions of Africans were sold into slavery and shipped across the Atlantic to the Americas.

The middlemen were European slave traders based in forts like Ghana's Cape Coast Castle, now a tourist attraction and a somber reminder of a brutal crime against humanity.

That crime is usually blamed entirely on the European outsiders who inflicted slavery on African victims. But new research by some African scholars supports a different view - - that Africans should share the blame for slavery.

"It was the Africans themselves who were enslaving their fellow Africans, sending them to the coast to be shipped outside," says researcher Akosua Perbi of the University of Ghana. (88K AIFF sound file or 88K WAV sound)

Based on her studies, Perbi says that European slave traders, almost without exception, did not themselves capture slaves. They bought them from other Africans, usually kings or chiefs or wealthy merchants.

The question is, why did Africans sell their own people?

chiefs
For a thousand years before Europeans arrived in Africa, slaves were commonly sold and taken by caravans north across the Sahara.

"Slavery did exist in Africa," says Irene Odotei of the University of Ghana.

In many African cultures, slavery was an accepted domestic practice, but it was slavery of a different kind. In Africa, the slave usually had rights, protection under law, and social mobility.

"Many house owners would call their slaves as their daughters or sons," says Perbi. "They became part of the kin or family or lineage of the owners." (100K AIFF sound file or 100K WAV sound)

The Atlantic slave trade grew at a time when many African states were at war with each other, taking prisoners that could easily be sold to traders in exchange for guns.

"It's the gun which was a deciding factor in the slave trade -- introduced by Europe," says Odotei.

Seems pretty much everyone agrees - no Jew involvement per se, just Africans catching and selling to Europeans.​

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

Actually, it was the mainly jews that were heavily engaged in the slave trade. While it may be true that some natives captured and sold their follow countrymen, (most likely were paid as contract labor, say maybe 5 shilling per. I mean really, do you think they had any business sense?), it was mainly the jew that bought, transported, and sold at auction the African slave. That's where the money for reparations should come from.

Where on earth did you get that information? I think you may be confusing this with something else. Jews were not the main slave traders for the United States, and indeed tribes in Africa captured those from other tribes and sold them to the slavers. It was a fairly common practice.

limblips

PREMO Member
Let's say a slave had 3 children who each had 3 children, who in turn each had 3 children after just 2 generations we have 48 potential reparation recipients. Do we divide the original amount by 48 and distribute evenly or do we multiply the original amount by 48 and give to each one? Roughly we have had 7-8 generations since emancipation so the number of potential bought votes is large.

limblips

PREMO Member
Where on earth did you get that information? I think you may be confusing this with something else. Jews were not the main slave traders for the United States, and indeed tribes in Africa captured those from other tribes and sold them to the slavers. It was a fairly common practice.
I think Light Roasted is actually Ilhan Omar.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Let's say a slave had 3 children who each had 3 children, who in turn each had 3 children after just 2 generations we have 48 potential reparation recipients. Do we divide the original amount by 48 and distribute evenly or do we multiply the original amount by 48 and give to each one? Roughly we have had 7-8 generations since emancipation so the number of potential bought votes is large.

...there it is...

This_person

I thought at first it had to be some kind of sarcasm or joke - a play-act showing how stupid people who hate Jews are.

Then, I realized, no, this is really how stupid people who hate Jews are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You'd think black people would find it insulting that Democrat politicians pander to the lowest and most ignorant of their race. It's hard to look at a Vernon Jordan or a LeBron James or a Clarence Thomas and make the case that they should receive reparation money because they've been held back by slavery.

This_person

You'd think black people would find it insulting that Democrat politicians pander to the lowest and most ignorant of their race. It's hard to look at a Vernon Jordan or a LeBron James or a Clarence Thomas and make the case that they should receive reparation money because they've been held back by slavery.
Regardless of race, sex, etc., there are a certain percentage of people who believe they are not any further along in life socially or financially due to someone holding them back. They will always flock to those who agree with their assessment that it is someone else's fault for their lot in life instead of their own, and those people must pay you.

Over the weekend I watched "Mississippi Burning" again. That the events that took place happened at all is indeed embarrassing for our country's history. But that wasn't my main takeaway from that movie. I recognized the vast majority of our country accepted 'humanity' refers to all humans and does not discriminate. Many gave their lives to secure the creed.

Continued focus on the minority of bigots and hatemongers causing havoc within society wrongfully empowers their message. The fact is, millions of Americans have lived and still today live this mantra... why isn't this fact embraced and proclaimed as a way of showing power and strength through the MASSES thus encouraging and enforcing unity among us all?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Ah, no. You get to show us where you got the info. Back up your claims, then we get to refute your sources. I can find Bing "proof" that the Denver airport was built by the NWO to house aliens in a bunker underneath where they are kept happy with a steady supply of fresh kids to snack on. Or that the Katzenjammer kids assassinated Kennedy. So, put up or shut up.
Uhhhh, yes I do. I did not do a quick search just before I posted that comment for the sole purpose of the comment. I've been a reader and studier of history for decades. I made that comment from the knowledge in my head. It was not a demeaning comment but one based in fact.

I have no one authoritative place I go to for this information. Just years of reading. Though, if one is to look for the information now, it appears that a whole lot of denial, distancing explanations, to re-writing of history, to the extent with anti-semitism being thrown out at the mere mention of the possibility. But it can be found. Written factually, with references, and without derogatory mentions, etc.. And when you think about it, of course they are going to say that. Who really wants to bear some or a lot of the historical responsibility? I would post links to various information sites. But god forbid I come off as a conspiracy theorist or anti-semite. For this issue, I think it best, for those that are truly interested, to research and come to their own conclusions. Aleichem shalom עֲלֵיכֶם שָׁלוֹם :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have no one authoritative place I go to for this information. Just years of reading. Though, if one is to look for the information now, it appears that a whole lot of denial, distancing explanations, to re-writing of history, to the extent with anti-semitism being thrown out at the mere mention of the possibility. But it can be found. Written factually, with references, and without derogatory mentions, etc.. And when you think about it, of course they are going to say that. Who really wants to bear some or a lot of the historical responsibility? I would post links to various information sites. But god forbid I come off as a conspiracy theorist or anti-semite. For this issue, I think it best, for those that are truly interested, to research and come to their own conclusions. Aleichem shalom עֲלֵיכֶם שָׁלוֹם :)

I have an interest in Civil War history and was married to someone who could be considered a Civil War historian - it was a major focus of interest for him. I have never heard anything about Jewish people having a significant role in the slave trade.

One of you turds who still speaks to that dirt sandwich on FB or something, ask him if he ever heard of Jews being big slavers.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

Uhhhh, yes I do. I did not do a quick search just before I posted that comment for the sole purpose of the comment. I've been a reader and studier of history for decades. I made that comment from the knowledge in my head. It was not a demeaning comment but one based in fact.

So, what I hear you saying is you have not jack for proof or references. I didn't accuse you of anything other than making claims and then saying others get to back them up for you. Sources matter, and hiding behind "look it up yourself" looks weak Thats not how this works.

TCROW

Jesus tapdancing Christ served on millennial avocado toast you people are lazy.

Go to amazon and get the four volume set of books on the Jews’ role in the Atlantic slave trade by a guy (a Jew) by the name of Jacob Marcus.

I think LightlyToasted might be overstating their role, but it was significant.
In the UK Asians are those from India, Iran, and Pakistan.

That’s because those countries are part of Asia :sshrug:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Go to amazon and get the four volume set of books on the Jews’ role in the Atlantic slave trade by a guy (a Jew) by the name of Jacob Marcus.

Thanks LB...I'll give that a read.

Reactions: BOP

glhs837

Power with Control

Of course LR is. Noe of us are saying that hey were not involved. You would be hard pressed to find a group that wasnt. "Significant"? Thats hard to pin down, the evidence that I've seen, besides that silly Nation of Islam hit piece they couldnt even put an authors name on says they were no more or less involved than any other group.

Here's what LR said...... which statements have no verifiable basis in fact. LRs statement even indicates that they were the main force in Africa seeling them into bondage. I dont know of any source putting that out, do you?

Actually, it was the mainly jews that were heavily engaged in the slave trade. While it may be true that some natives captured and sold their follow countrymen, (most likely were paid as contract labor, say maybe 5 shilling per. I mean really, do you think they had any business sense?), it was mainly the jew that bought, transported, and sold at auction the African slave. That's where the money for reparations should come from.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am unaware that there was a large Jewish population in the US prior to WWII, and I'm guessing any Jewish people living here in the 1800s were located in the northern states, not the South. But I'd have to run it down and I don't have time for that today.

Toxick

Splat
And don't just come back here with one account debunking or minimizing their role.

This 'minds me of a video that I saw where they anthropomorphized Google into a nerdy social worker, and people would come into his office and sit down and say things like, "Cheerleaders". Google would start going through files and the guy would say, "Cheerleader pictures", and Google would have a smaller pile of files and he'd start pulling some files, and the guy would say "Cheerleaders pictures naked", and Google would roll his eyes and slide a pile of pictures across the desk.

So, this woman comes in and she says "Does vaccinations cause autism".

Google pointed to a huge stack of files and said, "Here are about 25,000 reports that say it doesn't"
He then held up a sheet of paper and said, "And here's one that says it does".

The woman snatched the single paper out of his hand and said, "I KNEW it!"

It's funnier in the video.

Reactions: BOP