It was his job!

seekeroftruth

John 3:22 After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were coming and being baptized. 24 (This was before John was put in prison.) 25 An argument developed between some of John’s disciples and a certain Jew over the matter of ceremonial washing. 26 They came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, that man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan—the one you testified about—look, he is baptizing, and everyone is going to him.”
27 To this John replied, “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven. 28 You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.’ 29 The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30 He must become greater; I must become less.”
31 The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33 Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34 For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. 35 The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.
The other day we read that John, Son of Zebedee, [the disciple of Jesus] and his brother [James] were followers of John the Baptist. John the Baptist told John and James Zebedee about Jesus of Nazareth. The Zebedee boys were the sons of a rich fisherman. When Jesus invited them to follow Him, they did.

There were other followers of John the Baptist, who, for some reason, thought John the Baptist should be jealous of Jesus stealing his thunder. They figured John the Baptist was the best thing that happened to humanity in a long time. [Stupid humans weren't listening!]

John the Baptist told them that he was happy with his place in the plan. The Pharisees didn't like him baptizing. They considered it to be an unlawful purification service. They were the only ones who could "purify" anything. They ran the Temple so they were the ones who would "purify". I think John's followers were used to that. Now, though, this cat named Jesus from Nazareth is baptizing too. What's the deal? He should find something else to do. John is the Baptist!!!! Not some guy from Nazareth.

Now check out verse 29. John the Baptist starts to talk about the "bridegroom". That's when my brain shuts down, generally. This morning though, it seems as plain as can be. The groom gets the virgin stuff, if you get my drift. Should his buddies be jealous? Remember now, this was 2000 years ago. Women had no say. They were like oxen or dogs... they were owned. Sure, the guys in the wedding party were wishing it was their virgin stuff, but they were still happy for the groom. They would still tip their hat to him when they passed him on the street. They weren't jealous. That's what all this bridegroom stuff is all about [IMHO].

John the Baptist told them Jesus was the one John was waiting on. He didn't use the fact they were cousins. He didn't call down the family name. He just said, "Jesus is the one I came to proclaim." He also said... "I'm happy for Him." [paraphrased]

John the Baptist testified that God sent Jesus. John the Baptist testified that Jesus was indeed the Son of God. Check out verse 33. God told Adam and Eve He would send someone to clean up the mess they made. Jesus was the one God sent. God was good for His Word.

John the Baptist preached that Jesus was the Messiah in Verse 28.

If the Zebedee boys wanted to follow Jesus, John the Baptist was more than good with that.

That was his job.... to let people to know that Jesus is the Messiah.

:coffee: