Its beginning to look alot like Waldorf..

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Y'all wanted the box stores, the SuperWalmarts, the chain restaurants....celebrated them opening right here in these forums. Well, you got what you asked for. And everything that goes with it, including the vagrants, the robberies and the rampant drug use and the traffic. I had a college professor who used to scoff when people said progress was inevitable - he'd always say "Progress towards what?"

This bears repeating every single time an opportunity to do so comes up.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Exactly. Heck..people still jump up and down and cheer every time yet another commercial site is developed and the tenants announced.

I'm from Away (as some of us say of Newcomers back in New England), however, I'm not in the "Hoo Ray, More Disneyfication of the County" crowd.
I prefer to see the character of the place to which I moved, not outside imposition.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm from Away (as some of us say of Newcomers back in New England), however, I'm not in the "Hoo Ray, More Disneyfication of the County" crowd.
I prefer to see the character of the place to which I moved, not outside imposition.

The "character of this place" that I last recall most fondly started disappearing pretty rapidly back in the 1980s. The demise of the drive-through liquor window with mixed drinks available sorta punctuated the end of the good era..LOL

I will say that I don't miss all the dirt roads though...get my pride and joy all washed and waxed back in the mid 70s and it would be a dusty mess before I arrived where I was going.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The "character of this place" that I last recall most fondly started disappearing pretty rapidly back in the 1980s. The demise of the drive-through liquor window with mixed drinks available sorta punctuated the end of the good era..LOL

I will say that I don't miss all the dirt roads though...get my pride and joy all washed and waxed back in the mid 70s and it would be a dusty mess before I arrived where I was going.

Duke's Bar!

mitzi

I moved here in 82. I do miss how it was. I was excited when the McKay's in Charlotte Hall was being built so I didn't have to grocery shop in Waldorf on my home from work lol. I rode by where I lived when I moved here in 82 just the other day. The large corn field that was on the other side of my road is now, you guessed it, a housing development and has been for quite awhile now. I loved looking out across that corn field and the deer everywhere.

black dog

Free America
I have been here off and on since 1973, not a fan of what has been developed since.

That was the great part about the years we lived near Trent Hall, two new homes were built. One on New Market Turner and one down Trent Hall.
Most decent tracts are in the preservation programs.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
T's Cove!

I still order Bloody Mary's from Rick at TT "with wheels on it"...but I'm only going as far as the dock where my boat is slipped. But the meaning has not changed. ;-)

Oakwood Lodge! Where I had my first (of many!) Long Island Iced Tea. :yum:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gridiron Grille used to do them. Haven't been there in several years. I think I have the recipe somewhere. It has been posted her before, too.

Yep. Because Rick Toth started that kitchen up. I have not been to GG in years though....I heard it's for sale.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yep. Because Rick Toth started that kitchen up. I have not been to GG in years though....I heard it's for sale.

Really!?! I had no idea and didn't see any signs. I was at the vet on Saturday to pick up flea/tick meds for the pussers.