Its beginning to look alot like Waldorf..

mitzi

If I may ...

Well, there is a lingering question about that day. Some say intentional, others not. I'm inclined that it was accidental in nature.

I can't remember the details. I remember the Phantoms were involved in some way. A murder and then the place caught fire.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I can't remember the details. I remember the Phantoms were involved in some way. A murder and then the place caught fire.

And then there were the Pagans as well. Those two did not get along too well, especially, at times, in the dance area. There was a kerfuffle with the Phantoms at the time, and they appear to have good relations with the owner, especially since he was also a bondsman. Of course there is the unknown. Maybe a bond was called? The owner did also have bounty hunters at his employ. However, if it was the Phantoms, for some kind of slight or retribution, I wouldn't put it past them for exacting that payment.

nutz

If I may ...

OMG! "Ol Reb's Bar and Grill. Knew some lovely ladies that worked there. Much much better place than Choo Choo's lounge. Clyde had the best place. And if you wanted crabs, just walk to the other end of the building to Ted's Seafood. Fresh steamed crabs cooked in large steam kettle pots while you wait. Or, super fresh crab meat from the ladies upstairs picked and packed daily. Those were the days. Regulation has ruined everything.

The fireplace lounge when the men's room accidentally caught fire. Seems there was a hole in the drywall and someone used it for an ashtray. :whistle: And the mystery deepened when a very similar accident occurred at the Atlantis/Smitty's in Bryans Road. The mouse trap and Cuckoo's Nest (old Spring Lake Motel) probably had bigger crowds at the time (not for topless).

mitzi

If I may ...

And then there were the Pagans as well. Those two did not get along too well, especially, at times, in the dance area. There was a kerfuffle with the Phantoms at the time, and they appear to have good relations with the owner, especially since he was also a bondsman. Of course there is the unknown. Maybe a bond was called? The owner did also have bounty hunters at his employ. However, if it was the Phantoms, for some kind of slight or retribution, I wouldn't put it past them for exacting that payment.

I can't remember it all. The place caught fire. Somebody ratted and 2 were charged with murder. Wish I could find old news articles on it now. I remember one of the guys charged with murder was someone I knew LONG ago. Decades ago.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
There are many areas of Calvert that are still rural and will stay that way. (American Chestnut Land Trust, for example)

However, it takes THE PEOPLE of the county to actually pay attention and vote for the representatives who best represents their views, show up at the meetings (demand that the meetings be held when the majority of the public can attend) and make their voices heard.

Otherwise, County Commissioners will run amok.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Since I've been here during the time period being discussed and was involved in it at a couple different levels I'll throw in some history and observations.

A favorite response 30+ years ago to the soon to be uncontrolled growth was 'You can't stop progress"

When growth controls were adopted around 1988 or so there was a three month window before they went into effect. The day before the ordinance went into effect the line out the Courthouse door for developers waiting to register their sub-division plans went down the street for over a block. Those grandfathered sub-divisions are finally at the build out stage. That's 30 years.

Keep Calvert Country. The new members of that rejuvenated group are the children and grandchildren of those people who said "You can't stop progress". I will say that many of the latter by 2000 looked around and asked "What the #### did we do?".

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
There are many areas of Calvert that are still rural and will stay that way. (American Chestnut Land Trust, for example)

However, it takes THE PEOPLE of the county to actually pay attention and vote for the representatives who best represents their views, show up at the meetings (demand that the meetings be held when the majority of the public can attend) and make their voices heard.

Otherwise, County Commissioners will run amok.

The county will lose money from the many small, family owned businesses that are going under or that have closed and they need to bring in big box stores to make up for it. I can only imagine how much the Tiki bar, like it or not, helped Calvert. I read the Thai2 place in Solomons is closing, the former Striped Rock on the island is closed, who knows what will happen with Kingfishers and Stoney's Broomes Island.
As a small business owner, my opinion is that many of us won't be around in a few years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's been downhill since Reb's closed..

LMAO. Guy I worked with at Indian Head literally shed tears when it did. He was an older single guy and Reb's was his "home".

As a teenager, I hung out with some buddies in N'off Beesh back in the mid 70s. It was a straight-up dump of a town but we loved it. We stayed, back then, in a tiny cottage in Holland Point that was owned by the parents of one of our "gang"..and just out of reach of the NB po po who we taunted routinely with our loud hot rods. Boy don't I wish I'd had the foresight to buy any of a couple dozen decrepit residential properties along the then-decrepit beach front stretch...they were practically giving them away. ;-(

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The county will lose money from the many small, family owned businesses that are going under or that have closed and they need to bring in big box stores to make up for it. I can only imagine how much the Tiki bar, like it or not, helped Calvert. I read the Thai2 place in Solomons is closing, the former Striped Rock on the island is closed, who knows what will happen with Kingfishers and Stoney's Broomes Island.
As a small business owner, my opinion is that many of us won't be around in a few years.

Lose money how?

Sales tax? The Counties don't get a penny of that.

Property tax? Maybe. But they get paid whether a business is open or not. Use the Tiki Bar as the example. The owners, or supposed owners, have to pay the property tax whether they're slinging Margaritas or not. Business licenses are a drop in the bucket and don't even cover the staff cost to issue them.

Business Income Tax? Goes to the state.

Personal Property Tax? Yes, the County gets some of that.

Personal Income Tax? Yes, if the owners and employees live in the County. If they live elsewhere then their County of residence gets that.

The thing that is a scam is the "rising assessments will lower your property taxes" we always hear. Well, no. Yes the rate goes down because of the Constant Yield Rate requires the government not collect more in dollars next year than it collected last year so the tax rate goes down. In order to capture the property taxes from rising assessments is by increasing the tax rate to above the Constant Yield Rate. What was done in Calvert for years was just keep the old rate, which was higher than the CYR.

The way it's set up is that officials can truthfully say to people when they complain about their property taxes going up "But we didn't raise the tax rate. Your taxes went up because your property is worth more".

nutz

LightRoasted

If I may ...

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

A few blocks down the street from where I grew up at, a 1% Pagan lived. His daughter was two years behind me and his son was a year behind. His last name was Knighton, we called him Mr Knighton. It was always fun to hang around the Knightons home if 2 or 3 of the brotherhood was there, when more showed up it was time to leave. A few years later a friend shot and killed a Pagan over in Chantilly, over a stupid traffic incident. A few members of the club stood up in court and made death threats to my friend. It was a tough few years for my friend.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A few blocks down the street from where I grew up at, a 1% Pagan lived. His daughter was two years behind me and his son was a year behind. His last name was Knighton, we called him Mr Knighton. It was always fun to hang around the Knightons home if 2 or 3 of the brotherhood was there, when more showed up it was time to leave. A few years later a friend shot and killed a Pagan over in Chantilly, over a stupid traffic incident. A few members of the club stood up in court and made death threats to my friend. It was a tough few years for my friend.

Family of one of my best friends growing up owned a bar/nightclub operation in central Howard County that would be jammed the two nights they were open...and it was a favorite of the Pagans. There were at least two murders outside the bar that was attributed to them, and more brawls than I could count.

acommondisaster

Y'all wanted the box stores, the SuperWalmarts, the chain restaurants....celebrated them opening right here in these forums. Well, you got what you asked for. And everything that goes with it, including the vagrants, the robberies and the rampant drug use and the traffic. I had a college professor who used to scoff when people said progress was inevitable - he'd always say "Progress towards what?"

acommondisaster

If I may ...

Apparently my memory is fallible. I never seen those girls dancing fully naked, only topless, at Reb's. Even at Choo Choo's. Except at Choo Choo's, the girls would let you sample a bit for a good tip. Ahhh the good 'ol days.

When we moved to the 'Dorf in the mid 80's, the other side of Choo Choo's was a pizza place. My husband went there to pick up our order with our 5 year old son. My son peered into the glass door of Choo Choo's and yelled "DAD!! LOOK!!" My husband turned 2 shades of red, until he realized my son was pointing out a couple of video game machines that were visible from the door.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

When we moved to the 'Dorf in the mid 80's, the other side of Choo Choo's was a pizza place. My husband went there to pick up our order with our 5 year old son. My son peered into the glass door of Choo Choo's and yelled "DAD!! LOOK!!" My husband turned 2 shades of red, until he realized my son was pointing out a couple of video game machines that were visible from the door.

Thought he had seared his eyeballs and etched into that young mind the glorious near naked body of a voluptuous young woman, I bet? And on the other side is still that pizza place ... Pizza Hut.