It's that time again!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I have a $25 Amazon credit and need some book recommendations! I haven't read anything good since The Hunger Games a couple months ago so I'm overdue for a good read. Amazon's recommendations for me are kind of annoying so that's not helping at all.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vince Flynn's new Mitch Rapp book will be out in mid-Feb.

I've been reading chef biographies the last few weeks. Just finished "Life on the Line" by Grant Achatz.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I finally got brave enough to read a clockwork orange..the movie was disturbing enough. The book is much better! Has a whole different message/feel.

I also got the kindle single for amy tans new one "rules for virgins" it was pretty..um...interesting. I guess there will be a full novel soon?

I also read the dirty parts of the bible by sam torode on kindles rec..I liked it! Like most contemporary lit is is written on probably an 8th grade level, which is annoying but it is a fun, chill, supremely easy read and not trashy a bit.

And of course, im always trying to point people in pearl s buck or phillipa gregorys direction :)

Foxhound

Finishing last
Did you get a copy of the original Clockwork orange, the version that was first sold in the US back in the day didn't have the last chapter where Alex was back out at it again. As is usually the case the book was better than the movie.

If you haven't read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, its a good read. Doesn't have much to do with either Zen or motorcycle maintenance though.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Did you get a copy of the original Clockwork orange, the version that was first sold in the US back in the day didn't have the last chapter where Alex was back out at it again. As is usually the case the book was better than the movie.

If you haven't read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, its a good read. Doesn't have much to do with either Zen or motorcycle maintenance though.

I got the original version, with the final chapter..where he basically has a change of heart and wants to get married and have a baby..waaaaaay dif ending than the movie, which was based on the american release without the last chap..cutting chapters should be illegal.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My New Year's resolution is to actually finish reading all the books I've zapped into my kindle. :ohwell:

catlingirl

I have a $25 Amazon credit and need some book recommendations! I haven't read anything good since The Hunger Games a couple months ago so I'm overdue for a good read. Amazon's recommendations for me are kind of annoying so that's not helping at all.

The Stephanie Plum series is pretty good by Janet Evanovich. jmo

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Autobiography; Hitch 22 Chris Hitchens, writer, commentator, antagonizer, brilliant mind, interesting dude. Get it if you LOVE the English language. I consider myself relatively smart and knowledgeable but, damn, regnant? tutelary?? I need a dictionary handy because they way he uses the language, well, I wanna know! Great writer and decent story teller and a really interesting philosophical look at his life and the world around him. However, I like him and it's a bit of a trudge to get through. Great book to read in short stretches.

Fiction; Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter Thompson. Fun, quick, entertaining read. if you enjoy a flat out crazy, trippy, bizarre story, it's a good read. I didn't think I'd like it. That afternoon, I wished it was a longer book.

Topical; Popes and Bankers, Jack Cashill. Wanna understand money and religion and power in historical AND modern context? GREAT story telling and you will feel smarter when you finish it. MUCH easier and fun read than you may think.

World History; Churchill and Hitler; the unnecessary war; How Britain lost it's Empire and the West lost the world. Pat Buchanan. Wanna know why the West is so messed up? Wanna know what Bush was thinking and why? Wanna know why Winston Churchill is the most over rated 'hero' in modern history? If you're a neo con, don't read this. One second thought, if you're a neo con, PLEASE read this.

US History; The Civil War; A narrative. Shelby Foote. Fastest 3,000 pages in literary history. You will have a broader, deeper understanding of what it means to be an American.

Anything by Tammy Bruce or George Will.

Ghost Rider; Travels on the healing road Neil Peart (drummer for the rock band Rush) He lost his daughter in '97 to a car crash and his wife 10 months later to cancer. He says she died of a broken heart and loss of the will to live. He went on a little motorcycle walk about; 80,000 miles all over North and Central America. This book is his memoirs from that healing trip. I have NOT read this yet and keep forgetting to get it.

:buddies:

Foxhound

Finishing last
Yup, anything by Hunter S. Thompson is a weird but wonderful read.
Great Shark hunt would be a good followup to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

If you liked Ghost rider you should check out Masked Rider by Neil Peart as well. An earlier account of his bicycle trip across Africa.

luvmygdaughters

Has anyone read "11-23-1963" by Stephen King? I want to read it but his books lately have been extremely weird...even for Stephen King.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
The Stephanie Plum series is pretty good by Janet Evanovich. jmo
I like Stephanie Plum! I'll go through a phase where I'll read a bunch in a row and get tired of them, though. I can't remember where I left off a couple years ago...they're always good for a quick couple of chapters before bed.

I ended up reading The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy. It's kind of framed as a love story but it isn't really. In fact, I wasn't convinced that the main character was in love with the guy at all so either the writer was great at capturing the nuances of that "relationship" or she was really bad at conveying their affection for each other. It was just really sad and heartbreaking and a few times I thought I should just put it down but I stuck it out. I wouldn't say it was well written and a lot of the story was not quite believable, but if you accept it for what it is it will stay with you for awhile. Not quite as disturbing as Little Bee, but more relatable. These are the type of books that I keep finding myself reading, then have to immediately follow them up with 4 or 5 mindless, happy, silly books to get them out of my head.

At any rate, I think I might start reading Edith Wharton. I read Ethan Frome in high school and didn't like it at all, but my taste has changed and I know all of her books aren't like that anyway.

nomoney

Has anyone read "11-23-1963" by Stephen King? I want to read it but his books lately have been extremely weird...even for Stephen King.

I read it last week. It was a little weird; but it was still easy to get through. Main character is on a time travel mission to stop the assassination of Kennedy. 600 pages of pretty much that. :lol:

Vince Flynn's new Mitch Rapp book will be out in mid-Feb.

I've been reading chef biographies the last few weeks. Just finished "Life on the Line" by Grant Achatz.

Just finished it. Good action, but not a whole lot of it. What ticked me off was it said I was 71% done and it looked like I had a bunch of reading left. There were a few things left unfinished and then, bam, it was done. The rest of the download was about his upcoming book. Not cool.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just finished it. Good action, but not a whole lot of it. What ticked me off was it said I was 71% done and it looked like I had a bunch of reading left. There were a few things left unfinished and then, bam, it was done. The rest of the download was about his upcoming book. Not cool.

THAT was annoying! Like, 20% of the book devoted to the first bit of his previous novels. :burning:lol

I just ordered Etta James' autobiography - a dirt book because it's not available for Kindle. :burning:lol But I'm looking forward to getting it. She had a fairly tragic life.