It's That Time of Year

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I keep shooing the wrens out of the garage so they don't build a nest again. Built houses for them but they like the garage better.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Something on the front looking camera caught my eye around supper time. I thought it was a crow. Grabbed the Red Rider and headed out the door. Damned if there weren't 2 black headed vultures hiding in the big pine out front. They were hunkered down behind a big branch peering over by my cars. That's where I last saw the neighborhood stray earlier this evening. I shooed them away, but they just crossed the road and still had a good vantage point. Anyway, I hope the commotion alerted the cat and she didn't become a snack.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Anyway, I hope the commotion alerted the cat and she didn't become a snack.
As I understand it, both Black Head and Turkey vultures are strictly carrion eaters.
The Black Heads have good eyesight, the Turkey vultures a much better sense of smell.
The Black Heads will watch for Turkey vultures, and when that more solitary bird finds "food,"
the more social Black Head flock will often Bogart the corpse.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As I understand it, both Black Head and Turkey vultures are strictly carrion eaters.
The Black Heads have good eyesight, the Turkey vultures a much better sense of smell.
The Black Heads will watch for Turkey vultures, and when that more solitary bird finds "food,"
the more social Black Head flock will often Bogart the corpse.
With all due respect, nope, black headed vultures like fresh meat so much, they sometimes create their own.