It's the Little Things That Tick You Off

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The propane adapter on my Honda generator wasn't doing well, so decided to take it off today. I had a small gas tank, so decided to add that so I didn't have to put fuel in the main tank. It required a few bolts be longer, so took the old bolt with me to match the size/thread. Everything on the Honda is metric, so wanted to keep it all metric. Bolt is M8-1.25, so find a match a half inch longer. Perfect. Got home, went to install it, grabbed my wrench... didn't fit the bolt head. Grab another, still didn't fit. One more... no luck, either too loose fitting or not at all. Then it hit me (not the wrench...). Grabbed an SAE 1/2" wrench, and it fit perfectly. Who the hell does that?? Metric threads with an SAE head?? Damn Chinesium crap.

TPD

the poor dad
The propane adapter on my Honda generator wasn't doing well, so decided to take it off today. I had a small gas tank, so decided to add that so I didn't have to put fuel in the main tank. It required a few bolts be longer, so took the old bolt with me to match the size/thread. Everything on the Honda is metric, so wanted to keep it all metric. Bolt is M8-1.25, so find a match a half inch longer. Perfect. Got home, went to install it, grabbed my wrench... didn't fit the bolt head. Grab another, still didn't fit. One more... no luck, either too loose fitting or not at all. Then it hit me (not the wrench...). Grabbed an SAE 1/2" wrench, and it fit perfectly. Who the hell does that?? Metric threads with an SAE head?? Damn Chinesium crap.
That was part of Trumps negotiations with China when he was in office the last go round - we will buy your metric crap but only if you put SAE heads on that crap - win win for everyone!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
a 1/2 inch wrench is about .011 larger than a 13 MM so they are essentially the same.
:yeahthat:

I use 5/16" for 8mm, 7/16" for 11mm, 1/2" for 13mm, 9/16" for 14 or 15mm depending on tolerances of the tool, 11/16 for 17mm, and 3/4" for 19mm all the time. I only get particular if it needs to be torqued and then I only use the proper 6 point socket.

Back when I first started working on Honda dirt bikes and VW bugs, my dad didn't own any metric tools and I learned to make do with what he had.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Oh yeah, I frequently use whatever tool I have handy to complete a task, especially if I'm on the ground and just don't want to get up and walk over to the toolbox. The whole thing was just the udder (sic) ridiculousness of having a metric thread with an SAE head. Just dumb.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh yeah, I frequently use whatever tool I have handy to complete a task, especially if I'm on the ground and just don't want to get up and walk over to the toolbox. The whole thing was just the udder (sic) ridiculousness of having a metric thread with an SAE head. Just dumb.
You bought that in a hardware store down in Ridge?