Jalopity Walker!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Went to look at some Kentucky mtn/rocky mountain horses saturday. I rode a black walker mare, and Rottncop rode a rocky mtn gelding.

That mare rode like a standardbred!! :shocking: What's up with that?? I'll admit i haven't ridden many gaited horses in my life, but dayum...they should be smoother than those ole jalopities shouldn't they?? I will say she was about the sweetest thing i've met, not a buck in her, and very SLOOOW, good for a beginner if anyone is looking for a nice kids horse. She's pretty tall, but a real sweetie.

Appy...i'm still looking to find something nice. The fellow had several nice fillies, which ranged between 1300-3500 (the more color the more $$) the blacks were on the lower end. They move similarly to Paso's. Two absolutely GORGEOUS fillies one coming up for 2 (3500) and the other a yearling (2500), with the classic red coloring, flaxen manes, and chrome...to die for. But i was looking at the blacks to cross with my stallion and your grey down the road. Has a nice coal black filly with a mane down to her shoulders already, coming up for 2 late this summer. Not real big, but really nicely put together.

He also has a gelding he thinks is all Paso, and i tend to agree with him. Chestnut, with a beautiful face. Sweet boy. I'm suppose to go back this weekend, (sunday) to ride the full brother to the black filly to see how he rides before i make my mind up about her.

Anyone else know of any nice gaited horses for sale? Breed doesn't really matter, as log as it's not super hot, and I prefer a mare.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I've been hunting for a nice GELDING gaited so if I come across anything marish I'll toss it your way :razz: You really have to sit on a horse to see how it rides - there is such a difference from horse to horse in gaiting. And you have to look at the feet. If you have a horse with keg shoes on and they are a 10, when you take the shoes off most times it will affect the smoothness. So if you want to go barefoot look for horses that are not shod. Also alot of the modern "show quality" horses have a tendancy to be pacey. That can be altered with different bridles, speed work, and shoeing. Also as a young horse develops their conformation changes and they will go thru phases with their smoothness also. As they grow you want to develop the correct muscle groups to encourage a smooth ride. Hey if you see any nice gelding toss 'em to me :razz:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
HorseLady said:
I've been hunting for a nice GELDING gaited so if I come across anything marish I'll toss it your way :razz: You really have to sit on a horse to see how it rides - there is such a difference from horse to horse in gaiting. And you have to look at the feet. If you have a horse with keg shoes on and they are a 10, when you take the shoes off most times it will affect the smoothness. So if you want to go barefoot look for horses that are not shod. Also alot of the modern "show quality" horses have a tendancy to be pacey. That can be altered with different bridles, speed work, and shoeing. Also as a young horse develops their conformation changes and they will go thru phases with their smoothness also. As they grow you want to develop the correct muscle groups to encourage a smooth ride. Hey if you see any nice gelding toss 'em to me :razz:
what size are you looking for? This fellow with the kentucky mnts had 3 really nice 3 y/os, (still intact :frown:) that were outstanding riding horses but small, like maybe 14h. One especially caught my eye, absolutely beautiful horse, sorrel with a long white mane/tail, he had a terrific puppy dog personality too.

Oh and i emailed the lady that got the sweet little red/white gelding from you guys last year, maybe she'll sell him back or i can get him cheap :lol:

dreamkeeper

That mare rode like a standardbred!! :shocking: What's up with that??

I would have to agree with the Horselady...each horse gaited or not rides differently. Also, not every gaited horse "knows" how to gait or rack. There are a few good reputable gaited horse farms in Virginia...

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
Chief is a 10 yo Bay Paso Cross, He is a great trail horse. He stands about 14.3hh, Chief is a very loving and affectionate horse. He does require a intermediate rider because he is a little pushy at times and likes to go. He is not spooky. He is traffic safe and his only vice that I have seen is that when he is ridden in a large group I'm talking 50+ trail horses he likes to go to the front. He has never bucked with me and he has gotten a little lite in the front but that was with a large group of trail horses that where acting up around him bucking and rearing and he started prancing around and getting a little lite in the front. I'm selling him because I have a walker and financial cannot afford boarding for two at this time.

Still think you could find a reg mare cheap...I found a nice buckskin for a tad over $1000 let me find her information..
would rather have a buckskin mare!! send info on her as soon as you find it!! I'd LOVE a buckskin.....that's prolly what i want the most.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Ha Ha. I'm looking for a walker with color or spotted saddle with twh liniage. It may take me a while (I have found a few in WVA but it is hard to try out a horse 300 miles away!!) Looks like I may have to make a Road Trip.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
HorseLady said:
Ha Ha. I'm looking for a walker with color or spotted saddle with twh liniage. It may take me a while (I have found a few in WVA but it is hard to try out a horse 300 miles away!!) Looks like I may have to make a Road Trip.
i sent you an email. take a look in the new email addy you sent me yesterday.

Appy what does "some gaiting issues" mean? jalopity? :lol:

I sent her an email inquiry.
trouble would be getting her here, but i'm VERY interested in her! She's real cute!

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
She has been let to trot by a kid...she has been alowed to string out..you know Condesa will trot if she is not collected...same issue..

OK so riding her collected with the same bridling arrangment you use? with a noseband bit and double reins? How much do you think shipping would be?
I want a buckskin BAD. :tantrum:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
Where is she located..plan on 50 cents a loaded mile..
Hillsdale, Michigan 584.66 miles. so about $300 shipping, if your price is close.
do you know this person? can i trust her? been there done that with the shipping thing.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
OK you buy her, I'll keep her, you breed her to Vence and i'll give you the baby, then she's mine. :biggrin: yeah yeah that's the ticket! I'll even pay shipping.