Jazz

BOP

I'm the first to admit that I'm not a huge jazz fan. I am a fan of this guy, though:

I was 10 the year this came out, and it made an impression on me then. Several decades later, it's still a favorite.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not a huge jazz fan. I am a fan of this guy, though:

I was 10 the year this came out, and it made an impression on me then. Several decades later, it's still a favorite.

There was a PBS series on how things work, I guess back in the 80s, that used this. Everytime I hear this piece, I think of PBS specials.....

BOP

George Benson - Take 5 (live)

One of the better covers, and on guitar, no less. The inimitable George Benson:

BOP

As you might guess, I like my jazz smo-o-oth, not discordant. One of the smoothest on sax was Sadao Watanabe:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

I am a HUGE fan of jazz (quite obviously by my user name :lol:) and this is one of my favorite pieces. Dave Brubeck is truly the master and a living legend. :notworthy

And at 91, he's still going strong. In fact, he was playing at Blues Alley in DC a couple of weeks ago. I would have loved to have seen him again but unfortunately by the time I heard about the shows, they were all sold out. :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
One of the better covers, and on guitar, no less. The inimitable George Benson:

:yay: George is simply amazing and I've seen him perform so many times I can't count them all. :lol:

But I do remember the first time was when he performed with The Manhattan Transfer, another where he was with Al Jarreau (and Al performed 'Take Five'), and my favorite when he was with Chaka Khan. :yahoo:

My favorite clip - Al Jarreau with Dave Brubeck on 'Take Five':

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I guess it's a matter of taste.

Just for you:

Yep - definitely what YOU like. I was fortunate to have band directors over the years who exposed me to a wide range of music styles but for me, jazz was IT. :yay:

I've seen Russ Freeman and The Rippingtons about 10 times as they are a staple of the jazz festivals. :lol: Coolest was when they were staying in the same hotel I was and did an impromptu jam session there. :yahoo:

BOP

I acquired a wide range of musical exposure from dear old dad. At various times, he worked as a DJ. I got to explore everything from polkas to folk to classical, to jazz, to chaos (Art intersects science: Dabby creates music out of chaos in case you're interested), to rock, pop, country, soul, R&B...you name it. If it had been recorded, I was probably exposed to it. I was even influenced by the writings of the Beat generation, of which my father considered himself one. He was of that age, anyway.

Chaos fits more under the heading of philosophy and infinite possibilities - what if types of thing. I find it fascinating.

Last edited:

BOP

Oh, almost forgot fractal music. My dad introduced me to fractal music by taking me to a nearby college campus for an afternoon concert.

This is some newer stuff, but you get the idea: