Jell-O salad, anyone? Retro foods making a comeback thanks to Instagram

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Tara Cox considers herself an adventurous cook. But even she wasn’t sure about SpaghettiOs Jell-O.

“It smells like cat vomit,” the 45-year-old tells The New York Post, looking doubtfully at her plate of gelatin-encased pasta.

Every few months, Cox, a magazine editor who’s fascinated with retro American dishes, gets together with friends for a midcentury potluck party. She combs through old recipe books — a standout is “Dishes Men Like,” published in 1952 — and scours the internet, where her fellow recipe obsessives share vintage Betty Crocker recipe cards and post videos of tuna trapped in aspic. Then, she gets to work making mysterious meat molds, jiggly Jell-O salads and gloopy mayo-marshmallow casseroles.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I had SpaghettiOs with Franks last night for supper. And my SIL makes a killer Jello ribbon salad for the holidays.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
God, I remember those horrendous things. My dad LOVED Spam and mom came up with some vile creations using her Tupperware molds. :twitch:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Fortunately I was never served anything resembling those pictures.

Can't imagine anyone finding them appetizing.

gemma_rae

I actually loved that stuff. Both of my Grandmothers made it differently. One used only the fruit juice and cocnut the other went all in with the marsh mellows. Haven't thought of that in years!
I had a Great Aunt that made it, and was reminiscing about her a while back. I thought Giant used to carry a pre-packaged version but can't find it anymore. I'm going to check at Nick's in Waldorf. Alton Brown has a yummy sounding recipe at Food.com😋, just too lazy to make it.:lol:

How about Pimento Cheese? We're talking Southern Southern now!