Jessica Lynch on Primtime

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by vraiblonde
:duh: Ya think, Em? But don't worry - the press will ferret it out, just like they've sniggled out every other detail of this kid's life.

Someone was on the idiot box last night talking about how Jessica has apparently bleached her hair. GOSH! A woman coloring her hair! Such a scandal! :duh:

Yeah, vrai - I do.:rolleyes: What's so wrong with that? At this moment, she's probably trying to figure out what's fact and what's fiction in her own mind since she's got memory loss. Until then, she should’ve waited on publishing a book IMHO.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by IM4Change
She is young, she isn't trained to deal with the media hound dogs and I think it is terrible that the public grips and says she isn't all that and isn't a hero. There are not very many people who would have been able to handle what she has been thru, so people with only something negative to say need to remember, she didn't ask for this, she survived and if she earns a few bucks out of her ordeal, well good for her. This poor girl is going suffer physically and possibly mentally for the rest of her life, and sure, many Monday morning quarterbacks may say she should have realized this going in, but hindsight is always 20/20. The media created the hype, not Jessica Lynch.

Anyone who is serving or has served in the military is a hero to me and they all deserve a round of applauds for protecting the very freedoms we as Americans are so fortunate to have. It is too bad that each and every one of them cannot have 15-minutes of fame, but those that are negative in their opinions asking "why her?" "Why not so and so, etc. etc.?" Need to grow the hell up.

All I stated was that I wasn't impressed with her interview. Never stated she wasn't a hero. I have the same beliefs you do as far as each military member is concerned. However I did say she doesn't deserve all the publicity she's receiving because I think it's unfair to the hundreds of POWs and MIAs before her. What about Shoshana Johnson?

Nosenheimer

Originally posted by ememdee19
All I stated was that I wasn't impressed with her interview. Never stated she wasn't a hero. I have the same beliefs you do as far as each military member is concerned. However I did say she doesn't deserve all the publicity she's receiving because I think it's unfair to the hundreds of POWs and MIAs before her. What about Shoshana Johnson?
:yeahthat: :clap:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by ememdee19
I think it's unfair to the hundreds of POWs and MIAs before her.
So you're saying that if EVERY POW doesn't get a book deal, then NONE of them should?

Jessica Lynch IS NOT a hero - she even says so herself. In order to be a hero, you must perform a heroic act. All she did was get captured and rescued. But she has an interesting story to tell so why get bent if she tells it?

Do you think John McCain is a bad person because he wrote his POW book? Hell, he's a LOT bigger grandstander than Jessica Lynch ever dreamed of being.

Larry's grandfather wrote a POW book - is that unfair, too?

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by vraiblonde
So you're saying that if EVERY POW doesn't get a book deal, then NONE of them should?

Jessica Lynch IS NOT a hero - she even says so herself. In order to be a hero, you must perform a heroic act. All she did was get captured and rescued. But she has an interesting story to tell so why get bent if she tells it?

Do you think John McCain is a bad person because he wrote his POW book? Hell, he's a LOT bigger grandstander than Jessica Lynch ever dreamed of being.

Larry's grandfather wrote a POW book - is that unfair, too?

I'm not really bent about it, per se. The fact that it's only been 7 months since her capture and rescue and that she was somewhat contradictory in her interview kind of gives me an indifferent feeling about her. I think the way the govt. and the media handled the situation was all wrong as well. But again, opinions are like azzholes....

And no, I don't think McCain, Larry's grandfather and the many others are bad people for writing POW books. In fact, I find those stories interesting. I just think Lynch is going about this the wrong way. And may I add, that I'll never actually know the truth just by watching her interview and her movie. I just felt there was no conviction in her voice when asked about the other men and women who fought for her and rescued her, some giving their lives for her (and us, as well).

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by cariblue
:deadhorse

Some people just don't get it. :rolleyes:

You are so right. I listened to callers on the radio this morning comment on the interview and it seemed most of the callers were negative, saying what about this person or that person?

Ok, why does Julia Roberts get to be the Pretty Woman? Why couldn't I be the Pretty Woman? :bawl: It's not fair.
:bawl: I wanted to be the Pretty Woman.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Ok, why does Julia Roberts get to be the Pretty Woman? Why couldn't I be the Pretty Woman? :bawl: It's not fair.
:bawl: I wanted to be the Pretty Woman.

:killingme IM4 ... you know I love you, but didn't you see Christy's common sense thread about asking questions you don't want the answer too. :really:

With this audience, I'd never ask for an opinion on something like that. :blushing: Especially if I have PMS. :lol:

Nosenheimer

This might be a little :offtopic:, but I thought it was interesting.

She isn't Jessica Lynch, but she fought in Iraq too

WASHINGTON: While soldier Jessica Lynch enjoys celebrity status, there are allegations that a compatriot who was similarly taken prisoner in Iraq is being discriminated against because she is African American.

Shoshana Johnson, a prisoner of war of the same rank and comrade-in-arms as Lynch, who went through the same kind of suffering and was injured in the war, has been pushed into the sidelines, say her supporters.

Johnson was looking forward to a quiet discharge from the army in a few days. Battle-scarred and weary, she hasn't said a word even as Lynch is giving interviews to all and every magazine published in the US.

However, Johnson is ready to break her peace because the army that is now forcing her to do so, reports say.

The military brass has informed her that she would receive a 30 percent disability benefit for her injuries.

Lynch, who is white and was rescued by Americans from an Iraqi hospital, was discharged in August and will receive an 80 percent disability benefit. The difference amounts to $600 or $700 a month in payments, and that is causing Johnson and her family to speak out.

They are so troubled by what they see as a "double standard" that they have enlisted Rev. Jesse Jackson to help make their case to the news media.

Jackson, who plans to plead Johnson's cause with the White House, the Pentagon and members of Congress, says the payment smacks of double standards and racism.

"Here's a case of two women, same (unit), same war; everything about their service commitment and their risk is equal...Yet there's an enormous contrast between how the military has handled these two cases," Jackson told The Washington Post.

Johnson's father, Claude Johnson, himself an army veteran, says while neither he nor his family begrudge Lynch her celebrity or disability payments, he believes that his daughter should get her due, according to e-mails sent by friends of Johnson.

The army, in denying charges of double standards, has said that claims are awarded to soldiers according to their injuries.

Johnson, 30, the mother of a three-year-old daughter, was held captive for 22 days, when her unit stumbled into an ambush in southern Iraq last March.

Eleven solders were killed and six, including Lynch and Johnson, were taken prisoners. Johnson was shot in both legs and is still traumatised by her war experience. In addition to walking with a limp, she suffers from bouts of depression, her friends say.

News Source Link

crabcake

:bs: I hate when people jump to the assumption that it's race based. Disability payments are determined by the extent of your injuries. Did Ms. Johnson suffer the EXACT same injuries as Lynch? :shrug: I'm not a big Lynch fan, but when racism is assumed as a basis for unfairness instead of the facts of how something like this is determined, it ####es me off. :mad: If Ms. Johnson's injuries were not as severe as Lynch's, it would make sense she wouldn't get as much. :duh:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by crabcake
:killingme IM4 ... you know I love you, but didn't you see Christy's common sense thread about asking questions you don't want the answer too. :really:

With this audience, I'd never ask for an opinion on something like that. :blushing: Especially if I have PMS. :lol:

I hope you realize that was a joke to display how insane all of this "but what about so and so" comments sound. Believe me, I already know the answer to that question. :lol:

crabcake

I hope you realize that was a joke to display how insane all of this "but what about so and so" comments sound. Believe me, I already know the answer to that question. :lol:

:huggy: of course I know it was a joke. I just couldn't help but think of Christy's post when I read that.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Nosenheimer
They are so troubled by what they see as a "double standard" that they have enlisted Rev. Jesse Jackson to help make their case to the news media.

Why are they making their case to the MEDIA instead of the folks who determined what her disability is?

As soon as they brought Jesse into this, they've lost all credibility in my book.

crabcake

Originally posted by jazz lady
Why are they making their case to the MEDIA instead of the folks who determined what her disability is?

As soon as they brought Jesse into this, they've lost all credibility in my book.

:yeahthat: :clap:

the ONLY reason I can see why they went to the media (and it's even remotely justified) is IF her injuries are the same or more severe than Lynch's. IF that was the case, I know that the time it takes to appeal a case with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs or the Army can take years. Perhaps this was done in an effort to bump her file to the front of the pack, which, in my opinion, is STILL :bs: and unfair to those who filed before her. :ohwell: