Jesus did it.

seekeroftruth

Luke 4:31 Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and on the Sabbath he taught the people. 32 They were amazed at his teaching, because his words had authority.
33 In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an impure spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice, 34 “Go away! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”
35 “Be quiet!” Jesus said sternly. “Come out of him!” Then the demon threw the man down before them all and came out without injuring him.
36 All the people were amazed and said to each other, “What words these are! With authority and power he gives orders to impure spirits and they come out!” 37 And the news about him spread throughout the surrounding area.
38 Jesus left the synagogue and went to the home of Simon. Now Simon’s mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked Jesus to help her. 39 So he bent over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up at once and began to wait on them.
40 At sunset, the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying his hands on each one, he healed them. 41 Moreover, demons came out of many people, shouting, “You are the Son of God!” But he rebuked them and would not allow them to speak, because they knew he was the Messiah.
42 At daybreak, Jesus went out to a solitary place. The people were looking for him and when they came to where he was, they tried to keep him from leaving them. 43 But he said, “I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.” 44 And he kept on preaching in the synagogues of Judea.
Yesterday they wanted to throw Jesus off a cliff because He said He wanted to heal the lepers and feed the poor.

They said it couldn't be done. They said nobody could do it. Luke, the man who wrote this Gospel, keeps telling us the people were amazed, the demons were angry, but the people were healed.

I was just thinking, there are a few people running things today who I think could use a good "come out" from Jesus.

Jesus rebuked the fever. Rebuke means "express sharp disapproval or criticism of (someone) because of their behavior or actions". I wonder if Jesus knew Simon's mom had that fever before He went home with Simon. I wonder if Jesus said, "fever get out... this woman has work to do".

Dr. Luke, the man who wrote this Gospel, says Jesus cured all kinds of sickness. He cured colds and fevers. He even sent a few demons on their way. I think the demons were the ones causing depression and anxiety. Jesus was curing mental illness!!!!!

Demons made their way into people through sin.... apparently. Jesus called them out and they had to scat.... like vultures around a carcass, the demons would be drawn to those who were burdened with a sin they couldn't deal with. I'm talking about the demons that would make a drunken human call someone and lament how horrible they had been. Jesus made those sin loving demons leave.... because Jesus could forgive anyone for anything they did before they met Him.

He laid hands on them. I heard it said that a healing requires the laying of hands. We'll see that Jesus wasn't confined to healing only those He could touch. I think what Luke was saying here is that everyone who was brought into Simon's home that night was personally treated by Jesus. Jesus laid His hands on them, and they were healed.

Those people back in Nazareth wanted to throw Him off a cliff because He told them He wanted to heal all their ills. They said it couldn't be done. They said nobody could do it. They said He was insane. They wanted to put Him out of His misery by throwing Him off a cliff. That's how they dealt with mental illness, they threw the patient off the nearest cliff and put them out of their misery.

Jesus was here to conquer death. Curing all the illness was just a prelude. Dr. Luke says everyone was amazed by the works of Jesus. It seems Dr. Luke was a tad bit amazed as well. I wonder if Dr. Luke was there when Jesus made the fever go away. I wonder if Dr. Luke would try to "rebuke" a fever to make it leave. Can you imagine the prescription.... "Take two rebukes and call me in the morning".

They said it couldn't be done. Then Jesus did it.

:coffee: