Jesus was ready!

seekeroftruth

Mark 1:9 At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
12 At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness, 13 and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.
14 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
Repent! That's what John the Baptist was preaching. So, Jesus was preaching Repent after John went to prison.

Jesus was a disciple of John the Baptist. That's disciple with a small d rather than a capital D. When I binged disciple, the first reply referred to the twelve Disciples. But the meaning of the word without the capital D.... is "a follower or student of a teacher, leader, or philosopher". So, Jesus was baptized by John, His cousin. If Jesus hadn't been the Son of God, He would have been a disciple of John. John taught repentance. Jesus likes repentance.

Now... after the Baptism, it says Jesus went into the wilderness for 40 days. So, I binged it, and check out this interesting meaning for the word wilderness. It says, "a position of disfavor, especially in a political context". Well, that gives me a headache! All the movies and the Sunday School books say Jesus went out into the desert where Angels had to bring Him food and water. But I'm getting a different picture this morning.

I am getting the picture of one of those brand-new "converts". You know the kind. They are real Bible Thumpers and quite frankly some of them can be downright sickening! I'm pretty sure, since His popularity was off the charts, He could have had a throne and a title. No one could have beat Him in an election. I'm pretty sure He could have had a luxury home and one of those things they used to get around in, the one that required men to heft each corner. He could have owned everything and ruled the way He wanted.... and it seems it was offered... but He turned it all down.

He turned down the power and fortune. He was here on a mission.

He had to prepare... The Kingdom of God is near.

Jesus was ready!

:coffee: