Jet Skis

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
We are getting 2 of them.. I have never owned jet skis before so can someone tell me what all I have to do to be able to use them? Should they be insured? I need stickers for them right? Where do I get them?

TIA :)

belvak

Happy Camper
We are getting 2 of them.. I have never owned jet skis before so can someone tell me what all I have to do to be able to use them? Should they be insured? I need stickers for them right? Where do I get them?

Yes, you need to register them (call MVA) and you also need insurance. You basically add it on to/in addition to your auto. Your insurance company should have a recreational vehicle option. Ours is separate from the car insurance and is payable as a lump sum each year, or broken up into nine payments with three months off. Good luck, and whatever you do, PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND SAFE!!!!!!

O

ovred

Get them insured,get the stickers at the MVA,go have fun.But DON'T drown.:killingme

tyky

eieio

and you say I'm rich :rolleyes:

Animal

I eat red meat
Depending on your age you might need to take a course for boating safety education and obtain the certificate to legally operate them (I assume that jet skis are considered numbered vessels and if your birthday is after 7-1-'72). You also might want to research the Maryland State Boat Act.

LusbyMom

Depending on your age you might need to take a course for boating safety education and obtain the certificate to legally operate them (I assume that jet skis are considered numbered vessels and if your birthday is after 7-1-'72). You also might want to research the Maryland State Boat Act.

Ugh.. I didn't even think about that :mad:

dustin

UAIOE
i highly suggest not only taking a boating safety class for all possible drivers, but also a specialized personal watercraft class. My brother in law and I were involved in a near life ending jet ski accident. So trust me when I say get the proper training.

Last edited:

Hott2tel

Get them insured,get the stickers at the MVA,go have fun.But DON'T drown.:killingme

Actually, the trailer needs to be registered with the MVA, and the jet skis with DNR, which both can be taken care of by the dealer from which you purschase them , or if private sale, you will need to take care of this yourself. By all means take a boating safety course!

chess

low 5... hi 5......

regardless of the grandfathered law... I highly suggest you take it. I use to actually race in numerous tournaments every year from the age of 16-19 all down the east coast.

There are alot of idiots out there that own jetski's and it makes the people that know how to ride and carefully operate them look like fools !

If they are financed you'll need insurance otherwise it's your call. Get them registered through DNR. Trailor through MVA and it must be inspected first.
Find out and follow all the rules on boating and jet skis. You will be checked out by DNR and Coasties.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Actually, the trailer needs to be registered with the MVA, and the jet skis with DNR, which both can be taken care of by the dealer from which you purschase them , or if private sale, you will need to take care of this yourself. By all means take a boating safety course!

Correct. Skis are registered with DNR, trailer with MVA.

You do NOT need insurance (unless you financed them).

I believe no one under the age of 16 can drive and as someone else posted, if born after a certain date you need to have the safe boaters course.

Can only be used between the hours of sunrise and sunset. LEARN THE TIMES!!! (or pay the fine) :lmao:

6 mph within 100 feet of any dock or vessel or designated no wake zone.

Failure to observe any of this will get you a ticket from DNR police.

sdm

Your jetski registration and stickers, you will need to get from Department of Natural Resources by the Rt. 231 Bridge in Benedict.

Your trailer registration and license plates, you will need to obtain from MVA.

You will need trailer insurance for the trailer through your automobile policy and you do not need to insure the jetski, however, it is advisable to do so. Your automobile insurance carrier can help you with your insurance policies.

If you were born on or after July 1, 1972, you will need to take the Maryland Boater Safety Course or equivalency exam before you can operate a numbered or documented vessel on Maryland waters. This certificate you will receive, once you pass the exam, must be in your possession when you are operating the vessel.

LusbyMom

Thanks everyone!! I forgot all about the boater safety course and hubby and I will both need to take it. We are buying them and not financing but I think I will still check into insurance.

Hubby is grumbling about the course :lol: He grew up driving boats and jet skis and knows what he is doing but I just told him he still has to take it :lmao: We do ride my brothers jet ski all the time which I guess we shouldn't have been doing since we don't have the course..

Thanks everyone!! I forgot all about the boater safety course and hubby and I will both need to take it. We are buying them and not financing but I think I will still check into insurance.

Hubby is grumbling about the course :lol: He grew up driving boats and jet skis and knows what he is doing but I just told him he still has to take it :lmao: We do ride my brothers jet ski all the time which I guess we shouldn't have been doing since we don't have the course..

We actually had our boaters safety course conducted in middle school. :lol:

Can you say, Southern Maryland? :lmao: