Jetsons' future actually here?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was watching an article on tv a few nights ago, about how the future we imagined back in the 50s and 60s never came. No flying cars, no pneumatic tubes....

or maybe??

Elon Musk thinks he can get you from NY to LA in 45 minutes - CNN.com

4000, that's 4000 mph, in a vacuum tube, powered by maglev technology. 45 minutes from NY to LA.

Can you imagine the carnage if one of these things failed to stop?

Unlike a car, train or plane, before you knew there was an issue you'd be a pink cloud, and wouldn't feel a thing..

Traveling faster than the speed of pain.

Unlike a car, train or plane, before you knew there was an issue you'd be a pink cloud, and wouldn't feel a thing..

Traveling faster than the speed of pain.

I wasn't thinking so much of the occupants. You're right, they'd never know what happened.

I'm thinking of everything in this bullets path if it left the tube, as it ground to a halt.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
New space launch vehicle...? :rolleyes:

that would be a REALLY long, a TALL maglev rail..

Guess it could be like the James Bond movies, or the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea series, where they start the launch a mile underground, and burst out of a launch tube..

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
that would be a REALLY long, a TALL maglev rail..

Guess it could be like the James Bond movies, or the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea series, where they start the launch a mile underground, and burst out of a launch tube..

Been posited for launch for some time, but losses from friction kill you,and energy storage between launches really requires fusion to be practical. In fact, Pikes Peak was used in one story, although the equator works better, just like rocket launches.

No reason this couldn't work on the surface. like Musk says, much better since you could evacuate the tube. Adequate safeties are possible now, I think, we have the processing speed and power to pull it off.