Joaquin Castro’s Doxxing Of Voters Is Un-American

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On Tuesday, Democratic Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro, who chairs the presidential campaign of his twin brother Julian, tweeted the names and employers of more than 40 San Antonians who maxed out their donations to President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign.

[clip]

The congressman claims he is targeting voters who “are fueling a campaign of hate that labels Hispanic immigrants as ‘invaders.’” First of all, if Castro disagrees with his fellow Texans on whether illegal immigrants are “invaders,” he is free to try to change their minds. Instead he decided to sic every unhinged progressive activist in Texas on these businesses, which, one imagines, employ and serve plenty of people in his community.

Then again, Castro has no clue if these individuals support Trump’s rhetoric on immigration or even if they support his position on the borders. Maybe some of his victims maxed out because they’re happy with the unemployment rate or like GOP’s tax policy. Or maybe they see the election as a binary choice and prefer a demagogic president to a leftist congressman who feels comfortable doxing his own constituents? Who knows?

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/06/joaquin-castros-doxxing-of-voters-un-american/

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“Democrats want to talk about inciting violence? This naming of private citizens and their employers is reckless and irresponsible. He is endangering the safety of people he is supposed to be representing,” Murtaugh told the Daily Caller News Foundation.

“No one should be targeted for exercising their First Amendment rights or for their political beliefs. He should delete the tweet, apologize, and his brother’s campaign should disavow it,” Murtaugh continued.

Murtaugh added that the campaign reported Castro’s tweet to Twitter for “targeted harassment.”

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise was harshly critical of Rep. Castro as well, warning the Democratic congressman: “This isn’t a game. It’s dangerous, and lives are at stake. I know this firsthand.”

The names and employers of campaign donors are publicly available in Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings, but publishing lists of opposing donors in the area and their places of employment, is outside the norm for members of the House of Representatives.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/06/joaquin-castro-names-trump-donors/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Joaquin Castro Doxxing Trump Donors Is The Very Definition Of Tyranny

It is impossible to overstate just how reckless and myopic a stunt Castro has pulled here. A congressman who helps directly control the levers of power in the United States of America has effectively sicced the foaming-at-the-mouth leftist mob upon American civilians. American civilians, that is, who reside in Castro's own city! Castro is almost assuredly clueless as to the hell that he has wrought — the profoundly dangerous and harrowing precedent he has helped promulgate. Consider Angelo Codevilla's timely essay this week at American Greatness: "t would be surprising if many ordinary followers have not concluded that harassing if not harming conservatives in restaurants, airports, as well as in their public functions is not just permissible but praiseworthy, and if thousands of persons who exercise power over cities, towns and schools have not concluded that facilitating such harassment and harm is their duty."

The natural goal of Castro's stunt is therefore to intimidate free citizens from exercising "the primary object" of the miniature crown jewel of the broader crown jewel of the Bill of Rights. Like every tinpot dictator and would-be tyrant before and after him, Castro's goal is to cow free citizens into subjects — to sap the very sovereignty of which the constitutional Preamble's "We the People" speaks. Castro must be rebuked and excoriated for such grandiose flirtations with totalitarianism. We "Normals" will never, ever be silenced by the supercilious mob.

Burnthings

So now you're attacking his 1st amendment right for sharing a public record. If people are going to be ashamed of their donations, maybe they shouldn't donate.

SamSpade

BTW - like a lot of things, INTENT determines whether or not doxing is legal.

If the intent is to intimidate, harass, shame or otherwise injure the parties being exposed, yes, it can be illegal - if not very obviously unethical.
While SOME information is public record, not all publicly available information may be used for widespread use in an attempt to hurt people.

Reactions: NPC

stgislander

PREMO Member
It was public information, although it's not something Joe Sixpack would take the time and effort to go hunting for. I do believe it was a dick move on Castro's part because I believe his intent was for party crazies to hunt these people down. Saying that, I think every campaign, party, PAC, or any other entity involved in elections should have to publish the names of all their donors.

PsyOps

Pixelated
So now you're attacking his 1st amendment right for sharing a public record. If people are going to be ashamed of their donations, maybe they shouldn't donate.

If it's public record, then why the need to dox? You leftist think we're too stupid to see why Castro did this? And the nice part is, he doxxed some of his own donors. It's going to be interest to see how this plays out when some crazy takes this info to do harm against one of them. Will Castro take responsibility for it, like they are blaming Trump for shootings?

Burnthings

If it's public record, then why the need to dox? You leftist think we're too stupid to see why Castro did this? And the nice part is, he doxxed some of his own donors. It's going to be interest to see how this plays out when some crazy takes this info to do harm against one of them. Will Castro take responsibility for it, like they are blaming Trump for shootings?
It's not Doxing, it's public record.

If you feel like you're stupid, you're telling on yourself.

It will be economic backlash, if anything.

There should be public record of large donations, don't you want to know if a politician belongs to someone's pocket? If they are serving citizens and not their own financial interests?

Burnthings

Why aren't these donors proud of their donations? It's almost like you guys are sub consciously aware of what a pos the President is.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's not Doxing, it's public record.

If you feel like you're stupid, you're telling on yourself.

It will be economic backlash, if anything.

There should be public record of large donations, don't you want to know if a politician belongs to someone's pocket? If they are serving citizens and not their own financial interests?

Like I said, if this is public record there is no reason to dox these names. Exposing names and personal information in this manner is intended to bring specific attention to these people because they did a specific thing in order to shame them (a form of bullying), and possibly have negative consequences on those people. You liberals are the so-called 'champions' of anti-bullying and anti-shaming, and yet you encourage it when it comes from your side.

But since you folks on the left are okay with that, I am going to encourage Trump to dox his opponents in the same manner. I'm sure you'll be just fine with that.

Burnthings

Like I said, if this is public record there is no reason to dox these names. Exposing names and personal information in this manner is intended to bring specific attention to these people because they did a specific thing in order to shame them (a form of bullying), and possibly have negative consequences on those people. You liberals are the so-called 'champions' of anti-bullying and anti-shaming, and yet you encourage it when it comes from your side.

But since you folks on the left are okay with that, I am going to encourage Trump to dox his opponents in the same manner. I'm sure you'll be just fine with that.
Well if people are concerned that actions they make in public will have consequences, they should exercise that judgement in actions they make in the public moving forward.

All large donations should be made public.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well if people are concerned that actions they make in public will have consequences, they should exercise that judgement in actions they make in the public moving forward.

All large donations should be made public.

So, to get this straight... if someone donates money to or voted for someone you don't like, there should be dire consequences to that; that we should act in a manner that conforms to you thinking or you will be exposed and whatever follows is our fault? Is that how our political system and our freedoms to give and vote works?

Burnthings

So, to get this straight... if someone donates money to or voted for someone you don't like, there should be dire consequences to that; that we should act in a manner that conforms to you thinking or you will be exposed and whatever follows is our fault? Is that how our political system and our freedoms to give and vote works?
Yea, I'd like to know if people in my community we're donating large sums of money to fascists. Shaming is a good tactic for dealing with deplorable pariah.

You should ask yourself why you wouldn't be proud of your donation.

Hijinx

Guy needs his ass kicked.

It won't happen of course and this is 2019 the good old days are over. but this guy really could use a good old fashioned ass kicking.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Yea, I'd like to know if people in my community we're donating large sums of money to fascists. Shaming is a good tactic for dealing with deplorable pariah.

You should ask yourself why you wouldn't be proud of your donation.

Number 1... if you believe Trump is a fascist, you don't know what a fascistis. What's deplorable is labeling someone something evil that is blatantly false.

Number 2... I honestly don't think it should any business of any of us what someone donates to a candidate. Knowing it won't stop them from donating anyway.

Number 3... It's nice to know you support bullying. You obviously don't know what the word 'hypocrite' means either.

Last edited: