Job 1 Kids? Really?

seekeroftruth

Job 1:1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. 2 He had seven sons and three daughters, 3 and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East.
4 His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.
I thought.... the Book of Job.... been there... done that study.... this should be a review.... and then right away.... I find a problem in the commentaries. These are the same commentaries I always use.... and I could have sworn I've already done this Book on these forums before. But right away.... the commentaries have a difference that turns this book around for me.

This is from the easy English site.

Job was a successful man. He was rich. And he was important. Everybody respected Job, because Job was wealthy.​
Job did deserve honour, but not because of his wealth. Job deserved honour because he respected God. Job always tried to do the right things. And Job refused to do evil things.​
Job was unhappy about the behaviour of his children. Job wanted his children to respect God. Job wanted them to help poor people. But Job’s children preferred to hold parties. They were greedy. They drank plenty of wine. They did not think that Job’s religion was important.
Later, in Job 8:4, Bildad said that Job’s children were evil. Job agreed with Bildad – see Job 9:2.​
Job was afraid that his children would insult God. This would be terrible because we must always respect God. God created us. And God is our judge. In fact, the author of the Book of Job did not even want to write the words: ‘insult God’. In the language called Hebrew, he wrote the words: ‘praise God’. He did not mean ‘praise’ because of course we should praise God. But the author knew that his readers would be able to work out the meaning of his words.​

Oh.... so Job is not about a perfect man. It's about a faithful man with rotten kids! I never saw that before. I could have sworn I did a Bible study on Job before.... but I never saw the part where Job's kids were a bummer..... or it's been so long I forgot.... one thing for sure... I've read through the Bible and I totally missed this.

Now this is from the blueletterbible.org site.

His sons would go and feast in their houses, each on his appointed day: The idea of this description seems to be that Job's family had a happy and close relationship. This reinforces the idea that Job and his family were greatly blessed, and does not seem to indicate that they were unduly given over to festivity and pleasure-seeking. They happily celebrated special days (each on his appointed day), probably their birthdays.​
Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings: Again, the idea seems to be much more that Job was a scrupulously godly man who served as a priest to his family, more than that his children were wicked people who needed constant atonement.

So when there are two witnesses and one doesn't agree with the other..... then find a third to straighten it out. So this is from Bible.org.

Job had seven grown sons and three daughters who were fond of gathering for feats of food and drink. No mention was made of the children's relationship with the Lord God.
The text reports that Job thought “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.”, so following each of their feasts he would offer burnt offerings for them.
The text does not say why Job might have such a thought, perhaps it was merely an abundance of caution, or perhaps it was because his children offered no praise or worship of the Lord God in their extravagant lifestyle.​
In either case Job was a God-honoring human role model for his children and for his community.

Well the third witness was not much help. So this is from biblestudytools.com.

every one his day--namely, the birthday ( Job 3:1 ). Implying the love and harmony of the members of the family, as contrasted with the ruin which soon broke up such a scene of happiness. The sisters are specified, as these feasts were not for revelry, which would be inconsistent with the presence of sisters. These latter were invited by the brothers, though they gave no invitations in return.​
when the days of their feasting were gone about--that is, at the end of all the birthdays collectively, when the banquets had gone round through all the families.
Job . . . sanctified--by offering up as many expiatory burnt offerings as he had sons ( Leviticus 1:4 ). This was done "in the morning" ( Genesis 22:3 , Leviticus 6:12 ). Jesus also began devotions early ( Mark 1:35 ). The holocaust, or burnt offering, in patriarchal times, was offered (literally, "caused to ascend," referring to the smoke ascending to heaven) by each father of a family officiating as priest in behalf of his household.

Job was a father. He had seven kids. They didn't seem to take interest in God. They drank. So Job worried about his kids.

When Job was around.... praying to God wasn't like it is today.... not just everyone could talk to God yet. Jesus is the one that brought the smart phones [so to speak]. Job was the family priest.... the one that went to church.... the one that kept saying "language" when the kids got excited and cussed. Job was the one who prayed for the safety of his children.

I pray for my kids every now and then.... I don't have a prayer list.... that would be too much of a "to do" for me.... I prefer the constant contact kind of thing.... I'm always talking about something.... words and ideas.... not all of them good.... not all of the smart or clever.... but I'm always talking and sometimes I do give hubby a break and talk to God..... I pray for my children....my hubby.... and my neighbors.

I think Job worried about his kids. I bet he offered up burnt offerings for his children....not so much for the poop they did wrong.... but for their safety and sanity. I know my kids know about God.... I know they respect Him even if they don't go to church. I don't know if they have all accepted Him into their lives.... I believe two of them have.... but I keep praying. Hubby tells me all the stuff in the Bible can't possibly be real.... I pray for him too. So I can see where Job is coming from.

Job was the family priest.... He sacrificed animals for them. I think his kids meant a lot to him. I'm sure he saw their flaws.... Parents see the flaws.... Job prayed for his kids.

So.... starting a new book with a new attitude..... Job was not the perfect man living the perfect life.... Job had seven kids.... and he worried about his kids. Most of all though.... Job had God.....

☕