John 16 Three days..... then....

seekeroftruth

John 16:1 “All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4 I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, 5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”
16 Jesus went on to say, “In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me.”
17 At this, some of his disciples said to one another, “What does he mean by saying, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,’ and ‘Because I am going to the Father’?” 18 They kept asking, “What does he mean by ‘a little while’? We don’t understand what he is saying.”
19 Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about this, so he said to them, “Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me’? 20 Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. 23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
25 “Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”
29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”
31 “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

This is more from the easy English commentary.

Jesus warned that the Jewish leaders would persecute Jewish Christians. He did not want this to surprise his disciples. They would continue to worship God in the synagogue because they were Jews. But Jesus knew that the Jewish leaders would not allow this, because of the Christians’ faith in Jesus. This was because the Jewish leaders had rejected Jesus. They did not believe that he was God’s Son. They thought that Jesus was insulting God. So they would think that God wanted Jesus’ followers to die. And these leaders believed that to kill Jesus’ followers pleased God. These leaders belonged to the only religion that worshipped the one real God. But they did not really know him.​
Jesus knew that, a few hours after this conversation, he would die. Then, the disciples would not be able to see him. But, three days later, he would show himself to the disciples. He would be alive again and they would see him.​
Jesus had warned them before about his death. But they did not understand that he was referring again to his death. They did not ask him what he meant. Instead, they talked to each other about it. Probably, they were tired because it was late at night. And Jesus had said many things that they did not understand. So they were confused.
So Jesus explained what he meant. He told them that they would feel very sad. The events that would happen soon would upset them greatly. Then they would be sad, because he would not be with them. But while the disciples wept, many other people would be happy. They would be happy because they hated Jesus. They had wanted him to die. But the disciples would not be unhappy for a long period of time. After three days, they would see Jesus again. Then they would be very happy, because he had defeated even death!

And this is from bibletrack.org.

The disciples are starting to understand the necessity of the crucifixion, the physical absence of Jesus and the empowerment of the Holy Spirit that will follow. Prayer power will be experienced by anyone who prays in the name of Jesus. Many Believers are confused about what it means to pray "in Jesus' name". His disciples then indicate that they are beginning to get the picture in verses 29-30. Jesus then explains to them the persecution that is upon them and prophesies that they will scatter. Verse 33 is an assurance verse for them (and us), "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
Jesus had been running the show. He made all the decisions... when to go out... where to go... what to say.... who to heal.... what to eat.... when to eat.... where to stay.... where to find the donkey.... where to stay for Passover.... all that was decided by Jesus. If it were a political campaign.... Jesus would have been the campaign manager as well as the candidate.

Jesus knew this was bigger than a political campaign..... He knew His hours on earth were numbered. Jesus knew He would be arrested.... Judas was on a mission and Jesus would soon be making the final moves to prove the antidote to death works. He knew that His followers would scatter when He was arrested.... imagine the scandal... Jesus.... arrested.... if it happened today.... it would make the headlines..... I can almost hear what someone like Anderson Cooper at CNN saying.... "Jesus, claims to be the Son of God... the Messiah..... a carpenter... from Nazareth.... claims to be the Son of God"..... and the assumption would be that Jesus was not actually working for God.... He was working for Satan.... because the priests or rabbis would tell Anderson all about how He didn't want those poor people from out of town to have the opportunity to pay their temple tax.... or purchase their sacrifice.... He must be from Satan... not God....

I bet, if this happened today, a Rabbi or a Temple leader would be quoted as saying "I know God and this guy Jesus.... He is no Son of God".......

It's going to take three days for Jesus to accomplish being arrested, tried, beaten, crucified, and get laid in a borrowed tomb..... then He will walk out alive.... Godly Alive..... having conquered death as a human.... the body would have proven it could survive the antidote.... Jesus told them..... and it seems to say.... they kind of understood this time. Three days.... three days.... three days.... just keep remembering the three days.... and hang in there.... I'll be back.... and I'll send the Spirit....

Bet I bet those ignorant disciples were looking for a guy named "Spirit" to take over the rallies...... or that's would have been what they had done if this were a political movement.

☕