John Adams

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
HBO Films: John Adams. Has anyone been watching it?

I don't have HBO, but did consider subscribing for this. Many reviews are high, but some claim it's drawn-out and at times boring.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:howdy:
I'm thinking it is being presented as a "living history" type mini series. There are sub stories to it like Abigail running the farm with the children while John is in Philadelphia with the Continental Congress, and it tries to convey just how difficult and emotional an ordeal it was to declare independence.

All in all I feel it is definitely worth watching, made me remember how ordinary men founded our great country. I think every member of all three branches of government needs to watch this to be reminded of WHY and HOW this country was founded.

Hessian

I tried to line up my schedule...

they needed Militia extras last Spring when they were filming west of Richmond but they kept changing the shoot times. They changed the date, then expected characters on set at 6 am...um: I am NOT eager to hop out of bed at 3 am for a run to Richmond.
Anyway...missed 2-3 scenes needed for mob action.

I was stunned that they chose a comedian (generally) from urban east to play the role--I couldn't see him pulling it off: I was wrong.
He (Paul G) does an excellent job and those who have done a lot of reading of original documents finds that the conversations to be almost verbatum from their own writings.

I am very pleased with the sets, actors & costuming. They did more than just smudge some fake dirt on faces & cuffs like I have seen in other sets (Yorktown documentary)

Anyway...I have watched episode II twice: very powerful.

I can understand how those with short attention spans collapse...I can't imagine more then a handful of our congressmen watching it....sad.

"Remember the ladies John,....if the men fail to fulfill their duties,...the enemy with find us women to be a veritable race of Amazons."
(I am waiting for Abigail to deliver that line.)

Keep watching...and force your kids to watch too!-it will make them smarter.
Hessian

Last edited:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
All in all I feel it is definitely worth watching, made me remember how ordinary men founded our great country. I think every member of all three branches of government needs to watch this to be reminded of WHY and HOW this country was founded.
I have felt that while watching the History Channel's "The Revolution". The last one I saw was the next to last one ("Road to the Presidency") where Washington was reflecting on the struggles to achieve freedom and settle the new nation. I am continually stunned whenever I hear them talk about Washington's men marching miles through harsh weather, many of them without proper attire. Such conditions would be considered tortuous today.

The DVD set of this series is on sale at 25% off; I definitely want that.

force your kids to watch too!-it will make them smarter.
I will - but first I need to have some kids. :lol:

Lilypad

they needed Militia extras last Spring when they were filming west of Richmond but they kept changing the shoot times. They changed the date, then expected characters on set at 6 am...um: I am NOT eager to hop out of bed at 3 am for a run to Richmond.
Anyway...missed 2-3 scenes needed for mob action.

I was stunned that they chose a comedian (generally) from urban east to play the role--I couldn't see him pulling it off: I was wrong.
He (Paul G) does an excellent job and those who have done a lot of reading of original documents finds that the conversations to be almost verbatum from their own writings.

I am very pleased with the sets, actors & costuming. They did more than just smudge some fake dirt on faces & cuffs like I have seen in other sets (Yorktown documentary)

Anyway...I have watched episode II twice: very powerful.

I can understand how those with short attention spans collapse...I can't imagine more then a handful of our congressmen watching it....sad.

"Remember the ladies John,....if the men fail to fulfill their duties,...the enemy with find us women to be a veritable race of Amazons."
(I am waiting for Abigail to deliver that line.)

Keep watching...and force your kids to watch too!-it will make them smarter.
Hessian

:yeahthat:
I did cringe when a man was tarred and feathered in episode 1:jameo: