John McCain

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hillary did more than just buy a house. She established residency in accordance with NY state law.

It's nothing to establish residency in a state. But neither here nor there because Sarah Palin isn't going to be an Arizona Senator.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
It's not enough to own a house there. You have to live there based on the residency requirements of that state.

When Al Gore's father represented Tennessee, he and his wife rented a hotel room in Tennessee but, as I remember, lived full time in D.C. area.

awpitt

Main Streeter
When Al Gore's father represented Tennessee, he and his wife rented a hotel room in Tennessee but, as I remember, lived full time in D.C. area.

Actually, it's the other way around. They had a farm in Carthage TN and rented a hotel room in DC.

Hijinx

Hillary did more than just buy a house. She established residency in accordance with NY state law.

Yeah, then she moved back to Washington DC and had the Secret Service pay for her house by renting the Garage. They are still there now walking the dog she and Bubba got when Seamus died. I doubt either she or Bubba have ever petted it.

Residency, what a joke.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Actually, it's the other way around. They had a farm in Carthage TN and rented a hotel room in DC.

OK. I was basing my post on how I remembered the case discussed when Al Jr was Vice President.

This_person

It's a bunch of double negatives. Broken down, it's:

No person shall be a Senator who shall not ..., when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

Means you have to be an inhabitant of the state.

The key words there, to me, "...when elected..."

This_person

Yes, and you would be in this case. The Constitution says they have to live in the state they represent. There is no other language that waives this requirement. Even in the case of an appointment.

Can you show me those words? Because, I quoted the constitution, and it says, "...when elected..."

Again, I firmly believe I could have missed it, but that's what it says. Where is it that says, "no, not really just when elected, but always."?

This_person

It's nothing to establish residency in a state. But neither here nor there because Sarah Palin isn't going to be an Arizona Senator.

Agree, since they've already selected someone else. But, that doesn't change my point that it should have been her.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Can you show me those words? Because, I quoted the constitution, and it says, "...when elected..."

Again, I firmly believe I could have missed it, but that's what it says. Where is it that says, "no, not really just when elected, but always."?

There are no other words. The Constitution requires that a senator be a resident of the state they represent. I understand your point with regards to "when elected" but there is no language that waives the residency requirement for any reason, including appointments to fill an uncompleted term.

SamSpade

There are no other words. The Constitution requires that a senator be a resident of the state they represent. I understand your point with regards to "when elected" but there is no language that waives the residency requirement for any reason, including appointments to fill an uncompleted term.

Remember when Kathleen Kennedy Townsend ran for governor, here, about 15 years ago?
A Democrat, running in a very Democratic state - and lost to Ehrlich. Only the seventh Republican governor to ever be elected here.

Nobody likes it when someone from elsewhere sets up shop, owns a home - and then claims to represent the people there.
I don't like it when ANYONE does it. Do you remember Hillary campaigning with a Yankee ball cap on? I doubt she could name a single player, then.
She wasn't a New Yorker.

It may be legal - but it sucks. I find that it fails at least as often as it succeeds.

Hijinx

Remember when Kathleen Kennedy Townsend ran for governor, here, about 15 years ago?
A Democrat, running in a very Democratic state - and lost to Ehrlich. Only the seventh Republican governor to ever be elected here.

Nobody likes it when someone from elsewhere sets up shop, owns a home - and then claims to represent the people there.
I don't like it when ANYONE does it. Do you remember Hillary campaigning with a Yankee ball cap on? I doubt she could name a single player, then.
She wasn't a New Yorker.

It may be legal - but it sucks. I find that it fails at least as often as it succeeds.

Amen Brother.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She wasn't a New Yorker.

But they elected her anyway.

awpitt

Main Streeter

She wasn't a New Yorker.

Actually, Kathleen Kennedy Townsend had been living in Maryland for eighteen years by the time she ran for governor in 2002. So, I wouldn't exactly call that a carpetbagger situation.

It was funny to see Hillary wearing a Yankees ball cap since she'd always claimed to be a ChiSox fan.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Worst example I've seen was Terry McCauliffe slithering in to VA to take over the governor's mansion. Boy howdy weren't a lot of people in the "geographic 80%" of the state thoroughly pissed about that! But it's yet another example of a very liberal-leaning high-density population area in close proximity to DC, utterly dominating the politics of a much larger region. Same as in MD.