Judge Judy

blacklabman

Now that I am retired I have occasion to watch her.

What, if any, is an incentive or requirement for the defendant to appear.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
And a free trip to LA:

Regardless of the outcomes on "Judge Judy," both parties to a case emerge as winners. That's because the show pays for the arbitration award, along with the litigants' airfare and hotel expenses. For most "Judge Judy" litigants, that adds up to a free trip to Los Angeles.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
If they know they're likely to lose in a real court, the show will pay their judgement for them, plus whatever small perks they might get. If they're willing to subject themselves to her abuse. The problem I have with her is that her whole nasty bitch routine is just schtick; and since she passes herself off as a person of high moral integrity, it doesn't settle well with me. In the early years, she was apparently the real/nice Judge Judy and the show was almost cancelled due to low ratings. After superBitch emerged, we now have the $50 Million/year wonder.

Technically, the proceedings are mutually agreed upon mediation and Scheindlen is the mediator. Her findings are binding because all parties sign a contract agreeing to the proceedings and outcome. A mediator can be any agreed upon party, and does not have to be a judge or a lawyer, as far as I know.

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Now that I am retired I have occasion to watch her.

If I understand it correctly, the plaintiffs/defendants sign a binding arbitration agreement and in return for providing entertainment have any fines/judgments they would have had to pay in civil court paid for by the show.

--- End of line (MCP)