Judge Orders Navy to Release USS Thresher Disaster Documents

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
During a Monday court hearing, Judge Trevor McFadden ordered the Navy to start releasing the requested material. Bryant, while pleased with McFadden’s ruling, shelved his excitement until he sees what the Navy starts releasing and whether the documents are heavily redacted.

In his retirement, Bryant has taken to investigating the cause of Thresher’s sinking because, even six decades later, he thinks there are valuable lessons to be learned. Thresher never resurfaced after conducting a test dive on the morning of April 10, 1963. Mechanical failures or even Soviet interferences have been cited as possible reasons for the sinking.

However, the Navy has kept a close hold on roughly 3,600 Thresher-related documents while saying a classification review occurs. The requested documents – more than 50 years old – should be unclassified and releasable by now under federal declassification rules, Bryant’s attorney, Robert Eatinger, said during Monday’s hearing.

https://news.usni.org/2020/02/11/judge-orders-navy-to-release-uss-thresher-disaster-documents

Are there really any secrets to protect after 57 yrs :sshrug: or is the Navy covering up some flaw

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
During a Monday court hearing, Judge Trevor McFadden ordered the Navy to start releasing the requested material. Bryant, while pleased with McFadden’s ruling, shelved his excitement until he sees what the Navy starts releasing and whether the documents are heavily redacted.

In his retirement, Bryant has taken to investigating the cause of Thresher’s sinking because, even six decades later, he thinks there are valuable lessons to be learned. Thresher never resurfaced after conducting a test dive on the morning of April 10, 1963. Mechanical failures or even Soviet interferences have been cited as possible reasons for the sinking.

However, the Navy has kept a close hold on roughly 3,600 Thresher-related documents while saying a classification review occurs. The requested documents – more than 50 years old – should be unclassified and releasable by now under federal declassification rules, Bryant’s attorney, Robert Eatinger, said during Monday’s hearing.

https://news.usni.org/2020/02/11/judge-orders-navy-to-release-uss-thresher-disaster-documents

Are there really any secrets to protect after 57 yrs :sshrug: or is the Navy covering up some flaw
If there's a partial soviet sub laying next to it, it's still going to cause some tension after all this time.

I remember the impact that had on the sub community so vividly and how grief stricken my father was when he came how from work that day. I know I've written about it before. Where would I be able to find the documents when they're released - would that be just on the internet? I've never tried to look for anything like this before, but I know my father would want me to read it.
Was you dad a sub-mariner, or had some relation to the Thresher?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My dad was on diesel subs up until I was about three, then he got commissioned and served on sub tenders for the remainder of his 26 years. It didn't matter what you served on when we lived on base, when a sub went down the entire community mourned. I cannot fathom what that must be like knowing that you're going to drown. I remember the Scorpion better - I knew two girls who's father was on that ship and the wait the Navy put them through. And Eternal Father being sung in the base chapel and the second verse that we seldom sung. Cried like a baby - it was both that and my dog had just got hit by a Navy bus that morning and my dad burying it in the woods while we were at church.

I found this:
He rode the old diesel submarines out of Pearl Harbor to China, Japan, Korea and points between. He later served a tour at the American Embassy in Oslo in support of NATO. Before retiring in 1968 he served his twilight tour as Command Master Chief at Commander Oceanographic System Pacific.