Jump Question...

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Ok...I am starting back into jumping and have a couple questions regarding standard spacing.

1. What is the distance a ground pole should be placed in front of a jump to aid in timing?

2. What is the standard distance between jumps for both a 1 stride, 2 stride, and 3 stride combo?

3. What is the standard spacing for cavaletti's?

It has been soooooooo long since I jumped, I can't remember any standard spacings!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

R

riderup

appendixqh said:
Ok...I am starting back into jumping and have a couple questions regarding standard spacing.

1. What is the distance a ground pole should be placed in front of a jump to aid in timing?

2. What is the standard distance between jumps for both a 1 stride, 2 stride, and 3 stride combo?

It has been soooooooo long since I jumped, I can't remember any standard spacings!

Where is that Sadielady when you need her!!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
riderup said:
Where is that Sadielady when you need her!!
Jumping Distances

Always account 6 feet for take off and 6 feet for landing for 3 ft. and under, based on a 12 foot stride the following measurements apply.

Horse
1 stride (in & out) 24 ft
2 strides 36'
3 strides 48’
4 strides 60’
5 strides 72’
6 strides 84’
7 strides 96’
8 strides 108 ‘

In & Outs/ Ponies

Small Medium Large
1 stride 20’ 22’ 24’
2 stride 30’ 31’6” 33’

Pony small Medium Large

4 strides 51’ 53’6” 56’
5 strides 61’6” 64’ 6” 68’6”
6 strides 72’ 75’ 80’

Ground poles can be set at the base to approx. a ft from the jump.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Cross rails need to be seperated about 4 inches apart so if the horse hits the first rail it should drop from the cup with ease. If you are setting ground poles up to an X I like to leave 9 ft from the last pole to the jump. People always told me you had better know your math! There is lots of math in jumping! Ground poles I gear toward the horses stride depending on what we are working on anywhere from 4 - 5 feet apart is safe for trotting poles depending on if you are collecting or extending. Hopefully I answered all the questions.If not, let me know.

Last edited:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Sadielady said:
Cross rails need to be seperated about 4 inches apart so if the horse hits the first rail it should drop from the cup with ease. If you are setting ground poles up to an X I like to leave 9 ft from the last pole to the jump. People always told me you had better know your math! There is lots of math in jumping! Ground poles I gear toward the horses stride depending on what we are working on anywhere from 4 - 5 feet apart is safe for trotting poles depending on if you are collecting or extending. Hopefully I answered all the questions.If not, let me know.

THANK YOU!!!

Its been almost 15 years since I last jumped, but I bit the bullet today and went for it...it was a blast! One of my youths jumped my main horse for the first time over some fences, he jumped cross rails before but nothing else. So this is my youths...and this horses first time...a lot to work on, but not too bad! Thank you for your help...I remembered it to be rather technical and couldn't remember the specifics...so you are a huge help!!!

Attachments

• RJ emily jump1.JPG
    RJ emily jump1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 107
  • RJ Emily Jump2.JPG
    RJ Emily Jump2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 98
  • RJ Emily Jump 3.JPG
    RJ Emily Jump 3.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 104

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Sadielady said:
He/She jumps really cute! Are you going to show in the next few weeks?

No not a serious show. Before the horse and rider show I really want them to get a little experience first with practicing different things. I don't want his first time jumping in a show to end with him refusing because he sees something new and wants to check it out. We will trailer out to a few different places to jump a few things, and will try a practice green show maybe at AMIT or FI. This horse is the coolest dude around, once he understands things he is solid with very minimal maintenance.

Would love any constructive criticism you can offer!

Wisecrackin"

I jumped years ago when I was in pony club.. :lmao:

You would LOVE to see my form now in a colombian saddle when my stallion goes 4' over a 20" log... :lmao:

fredsaid2

appendixqh said:
No not a serious show. Before the horse and rider show I really want them to get a little experience first with practicing different things. I don't want his first time jumping in a show to end with him refusing because he sees something new and wants to check it out. We will trailer out to a few different places to jump a few things, and will try a practice green show maybe at AMIT or FI. This horse is the coolest dude around, once he understands things he is solid with very minimal maintenance.

Would love any constructive criticism you can offer!

You might have a good experienced rider take him in his first show so he comes out w/ a positive experience and a better understanding of what's expected. Your young rider could do a class after the older rider has done a round. A good strong first ride can make all the difference. Good luck, they look cute together!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
mingiz said:
Quote{Would love any constructive criticism you can offer!}

Ride Western...... :razz:

Ming...don't you dare tell my horse he isn't wearing a western saddle!...He just thinks I lost a lot of weight!

spellbound

appendixqh said:

The book titled "Cavaletti" is the perfect reference.