Junk drawers

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'm cleaning out drawers and cabinets in my kitchen to prep for painting and other re-model work to be done.
I swear, I could have won big on Let's Make a Deal with some of the items I found:
birthday cake candles,
allen wrenches,
spare christmas light bulbs,
book matches,
lighter,
misc screws, nuts, and washers,
assorted screwdrivers (even tiny eye glasses types),
wrenches,
electrical tape, masking tape, painters tape,
fuses (one so tiny I can't even imagine what it is for),
string,
broken wire hanger that had been bent into a hook,
small shepherds hooks,
pads for the bottoms of chairs (that help them slide on the floor),
wood glue / wood marker,
wire nuts,
slide ruler,
cup hooks,
a whistle,
spray mace,
2 small flashlights,
and a couple empty packages for automotive light bulbs.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I call it the garage.

I have been working on cleaning/clearing out my garage. My fiance was a mechanic. Since he passed, I had to have his mechanics tool chests moved from his work into the garage here at home. I've had to go through them and all of the odds and ends he had stored in there. I knew he was a pack rat, but for the most part I steered clear of 'his domain' in the garage. I'm still not finished, but I'll get to it all eventually.

I have been working on cleaning/clearing out my garage. My fiance was a mechanic. Since he passed, I had to have his mechanics tool chests moved from his work into the garage here at home. I've had to go through them and all of the odds and ends he had stored in there. I knew he was a pack rat, but for the most part I steered clear of 'his domain' in the garage. I'm still not finished, but I'll get to it all eventually.
If you need a hand sorting things out, ask.

NextJen

Raisin cane
If you need a hand sorting things out, ask.

Thanks. I'm working through things slowly. Handling what I can, and I have 2 grown kids that are nearby that have been helping. It's sad, but also cathartic to go through it all. I just hope what GURPS said isn't true - "as soon as you throw something away you will need that item in the next 3 - 6 months"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I just hope what GURPS said isn't true - "as soon as you throw something away you will need that item in the next 3 - 6 months"

I hope not, I was referring to the small items in the junk drawer

That has proven true time and time again. I'll hold onto a part for yrs, finally dispose of it, Now I am at Pep Boys buying a replacement

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I don't care if I need 5 tiny little screws or a fuse or small lightbulb thingy as soon as I throw it away! I don't want to have a junk drawer. I have 1 drawer in the kitchen with a few things in it, but I clean it out regularly. I even do that with my kitchen gadget drawer. After I had to go through my mother's 60 years of stuff, after having to also get through my sister's things, I swore I wasn't going to be doing that in my house. My tools container and my "hardware might need this later" container is kept to a minimum.

I am so anti-collecting it's not funny. What's bothering me these days is that people have given me things that have added up to a collection. Those things are gonna get whittled down probably by the end of the year. I just don't like a ton of things hanging around to keep straight, clean, dust or clean out.

Someone who shall remain nameless is quite the opposite, but he keeps it mostly contained. :lol:

as soon as you throw something away you will need that item in the next 3 - 6 months
So true! I finally moved that magnetic extendy-thingy that you use to pick up metal items you've dropped because it was attaching itself to things I didn't want it attached to... two weeks later my husband asked if I had one and I couldn't remember where I moved it to... it has been in that same place for years and we never needed it.... :banghead:

frequentflier

happy to be living
I don't care if I need 5 tiny little screws or a fuse or small lightbulb thingy as soon as I throw it away! I don't want to have a junk drawer. I have 1 drawer in the kitchen with a few things in it, but I clean it out regularly. I even do that with my kitchen gadget drawer. After I had to go through my mother's 60 years of stuff, after having to also get through my sister's things, I swore I wasn't going to be doing that in my house. My tools container and my "hardware might need this later" container is kept to a minimum.

I am so anti-collecting it's not funny. What's bothering me these days is that people have given me things that have added up to a collection. Those things are gonna get whittled down probably by the end of the year. I just don't like a ton of things hanging around to keep straight, clean, dust or clean out.

Someone who shall remain nameless is quite the opposite, but he keeps it mostly contained. :lol:
If you need to relocate a cat- ahem- I gifted you, I will take him back and rehome him. LOL :huggy:

Bann

PREMO Member
If you need to relocate a cat- ahem- I gifted you, I will take him back and rehome him. LOL :huggy:
:nono: Nonono-that falls into another CAT-egory. 😉

I was really thinking of some of the things I've gotten over the years that are of the "lesser quality" type. I have a rule that I can't get another storage or display thingy - so they have to all fit on the existing ones. The shelves are starting to look a little crowded, so I need to get rid of some of it.

I was doing the minimalist thing way before that gal Marie Kondo!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
My husband has no less than 3 junk drawers in our kitchen. I've tried over the years to clean them out, he just won't let me. But we're finally moving soon, so he'll have to soon enough :evil:

Bobwhite

I'm cleaning out drawers and cabinets in my kitchen to prep for painting and other re-model work to be done.
I swear, I could have won big on Let's Make a Deal with some of the items I found:
birthday cake candles,
allen wrenches,
spare christmas light bulbs,
book matches,
lighter,
misc screws, nuts, and washers,
assorted screwdrivers (even tiny eye glasses types),
wrenches,
electrical tape, masking tape, painters tape,
fuses (one so tiny I can't even imagine what it is for),
string,
broken wire hanger that had been bent into a hook,
small shepherds hooks,
pads for the bottoms of chairs (that help them slide on the floor),
wood glue / wood marker,
wire nuts,
slide ruler,
cup hooks,
a whistle,
spray mace,
2 small flashlights,
and a couple empty packages for automotive light bulbs.
A slide rule??? Anybody used one of those since 1980?

mitzi

After my Dad passed away, I had to sort thru everything in the house and garage. In the bottom junk drawer I found coupons for Domino's from 1992.

Bann

PREMO Member
After my Dad passed away, I had to sort thru everything in the house and garage. In the bottom junk drawer I found coupons for Domino's from 1992.

I was so over going through all the pack-ratty stuff of my mom's that I swore I wasn't going to do that my kids! :yay:

mitzi

I was so over going through all the pack-ratty stuff of my mom's that I swore I wasn't going to do that my kids! :yay:

I did too and got rid of a ton of stuff that I don't use. They will find my sentimental things I kept from my parent's house but it's all in one big box. Same with my sentimental stuff, all in one big box.