Jury Reaches Verdict in Muhammad Sentence

B

Bruzilla

Don't forget money! I don't want to pay to keep these poop heads alive for the rest of their lives. Keeping my kids fed and housed for eighteen years was bad enough! :biggrin:

I think with all the evidence that was available for this case, the state of Virginia should have wired up his chair for instant action as soon as the verdict and punishment were read.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
It's interesting to know why prisoners gets bennies like special meals, cable, video games, etc. It's because the inmate population is a seething cauldron of violence and hatred and the "powers that be" think giving them some stuff will keep them from rioting.

See, if I were ever sentenced to prison, the LAST thing I would want is to be around other prisoners. I'd do whatever I could to get into solitary.

What is the point of even letting prisoners interact with one another? All that does is provide first-timers with bad role models.

nomoney

Originally posted by Hessian
I tutored GED's in a max sec prison for 4 years in college.
You know what?
I feel sorry for those guards who have to supervise these critters.
I remember seeing one with a cast from wrist to shoulder--yup...a vicious fight between wild-eyed prisoners....She'll face aches & pains for how many years for trying to tame the prisoners?
How about the risk of aids & communicable diseases? TB? Spitting is everyday...biting common.
Not to mention the endless attempts to smuggle in items.

For the sake of the guards that have to guard lifers...finish the punishment quickly.

Anyway...this is rarely entered into the execution argument.

And these guards were forced to do this job how? I'm pretty sure they made the choice to be there.

Hessian

Mr King: Gotta Question:

Don't know where I'd find the stats but....last I heard...A max security prisoner costs $32,000 a year to "keep." Is that right?

I say strand them in the Alaskan Islands...30 per island. Ring it with a minefield to prevent "visitors," and play a real game of "survivor."

BTW...those Guards alternate positions...I'm sure the temptation of State payroll, pension, & benefits is a motivator to sign up but I bet burn out rate is also high.

Oh also regarding the death penalty...the punishment should fit the crime: Marine sniper contest beginning at 800 yards....ten foot of rope & a post.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Mr King: Gotta Question:

Oh also regarding the death penalty...the punishment should fit the crime: Marine sniper contest beginning at 800 yards....ten foot of rope & a post.
Now THERE is an interesting alternative! Sort of like a firing squad-type scenario that also gives our sniper corps some live training.

If we use state run execution facilities, it probably costs thousands of dollars for either the use of lethal injection chemicals, or the charge of 20,000 volts or so, that is required for the electric chair.

In either case, the sniper contest has to be more cost efficient.

Cool!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Mr King: Gotta Question:

Don't know where I'd find the stats but....last I heard...A max security prisoner costs $32,000 a year to "keep." Is that right?
I've never seen it broke down by max/min security. It might be there but I haven't seen it. The costs associated depend on the state. It seems New England states run higher then southern states as to per felon costs of incarceration, $32,000 seems realistic, but anywhere between $25,000 to $30,000 would be a reasonable figure to use as an average (RI spend $36,566 a year while TX spends $14,837).

Older felons cost even more (I guess from associated medical expenses incurred), Maryland claims it costs three times as much to keep a prisoner over 50 locked up versus the younger models.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I can think of extreme ways to cut down on the costs. No light or electricity in the cells. No medical care. The cheapest food possible (gruel or something similar). No entertainment of any kind. As I said before, no doors or windows. No clothing. No sanitation other than a hole in the floor.

http

Originally posted by Tonio
I can think of extreme ways to cut down on the costs. No light or electricity in the cells. No medical care. The cheapest food possible (gruel or something similar). No entertainment of any kind. As I said before, no doors or windows. No clothing. No sanitation other than a hole in the floor.

Why can't we just KILL THEM?!?!?!? The U.S. (God bless us) is so ridiculously convoluted sometimes, its insane.

We will shoot a 150 person passenger plane out of the sky to save 1000 people,

We support abortion,

We will go to Nam, Kosovo, Iraq, Somalia and kill other countrymen by the thousands,

but putting to death a CONVICTED serial mass murderer (REMEMBER Dhamer?!?!?!?!) is a Federal Offense?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

KILL THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're going to die at some point anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by http
Why can't we just KILL THEM?!?!?!? The U.S. (God bless us) is so ridiculously convoluted sometimes, its insane.

We will shoot a 150 person passenger plane out of the sky to save 1000 people,

We support abortion,

We will go to Nam, Kosovo, Iraq, Somalia and kill other countrymen by the thousands,

but putting to death a CONVICTED serial mass murderer (REMEMBER Dhamer?!?!?!?!) is a Federal Offense?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

KILL THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're going to die at some point anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: this very well might be the only thing we see eye to eye on. :wink:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by http

Not emotionally satisfying enough for me. A quick execution is too merciful. I want to see those murderers suffer.

http

Originally posted by Tonio
Not emotionally satisfying enough for me. A quick execution is too merciful. I want to see those murderers suffer.

This is a very interesting debate because its one where 99% of the participants have no real first hand knowledge of what they are talking about. Kinda like war, or fantasy football.

My 2 cents is (and no, I have no first hand knowledge) is that I bet after the 1st 6 months of jail, its probably a pretty ok place to be. From all of the books, movies, TV shows, it seems as though once you have established yourself in a clique, all the buttpirating and personal assaults kind go away.

Especially lifers. Nowadays they have satellite TV, DVD, game rooms, libraries, schools, you name it. I thinks its more like a country club. Honestly, for the halway retarded or typical ADD adult male who just can't seem to get a hold on life, jail may be the best place for them. You basically get everything you need within a reasonable scope including a moderate amount of drugs and alcohol and conjugal visits. What more do you need? How bad could it be?

I honestly don't think that 60 years in a penetentary is the worst place in the world (after the first 6 months). I say kill em.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
This is a very interesting debate because its one where 99% of the participants have no real first hand knowledge of what they are talking about. Kinda like war, or fantasy football.

I'll grant you that. The only time I've been in prison is when I served on a grand jury and the court gave us a tour of the detention center.

My 2 cents is (and no, I have no first hand knowledge) is that I bet after the 1st 6 months of jail, its probably a pretty ok place to be. From all of the books, movies, TV shows, it seems as though once you have established yourself in a clique, all the buttpirating and personal assaults kind go away.

Especially lifers. Nowadays they have satellite TV, DVD, game rooms, libraries, schools, you name it. I thinks its more like a country club. Honestly, for the halway retarded or typical ADD adult male who just can't seem to get a hold on life, jail may be the best place for them. You basically get everything you need within a reasonable scope including a moderate amount of drug and alcohol and conjugal visits. What more do you need? How bad could it be?

I honestly don't think that 60 years in a penetentary is the worst place in the world (after the first 6 months). I say kill em.

That goes back to my original point. Why do prisons have those comforts? Why do we even allow prisoners to socialize with one another? Murderers and rapists don't deserve any amount of dignity or respect.

Why are you assuming that the only alternative to the death penalty is a resort-type of incarceration?

B

Bruzilla

I'm with HTTP. I've been to Saudi Arabia and Singapore, two countries where they make extremely liberal use of the death penalty, and both places are great to live in. There's very little crime, drugs, miscreants, etc. If you want to live a good, descent, life, you can. The religious zealotry is the setback for Saudi Arabia, and the small size of Singapore is its setback, but I would move to Singapre in a second if I could.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Another idea for incarceration: Build a prison that's nothing but a 40 x 40 room, no doors or windows, with a trap door in the ceiling. Food would be dumped through the trap door, kind of like feeding chickens.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11865-2003Nov24.html

Deeply rooted in the human psyche is a powerful desire for wrongdoers to express self-reproach, guilt, mortification. They may remain unforgiven, they may be harshly punished, but they will have passed some unspoken test of humanity. To flout this expectation is to threaten the ancient order of things.

Apparently Muhammed's lack of remorse is what convinced the jury to vote for execution. For me, that would convince me to use every means of physical and emotional torture in order to shatter his psyche and drag that remorse out of him.