Just got historic plates on 1969 GMC truck

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We got notice that our truck was due for emissions testing. Knowing it was unlikely to pass, we applied for historic plates which were approved. I looked on the emissions form and there is no place to mark that the vehicle now has historic plates as a way to ask for an exemption. My question is, now that it has new plates that don't require emission testing, do we still need to take it in for the testing since we got the form before we got the plates? If not, how do we let the MVA know that we won't be getting the emissions testing when it comes due?

OccamsRazor

Just FYI...

Historic plates are not supposed to be used just to avoid emissions testing.

"A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses."

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Just FYI...

Historic plates are not supposed to be used just to avoid emissions testing.

"A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses."
It's not a daily driver. Also this isn't our only car with historic plates so we are well versed on the requirements.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
YOU have to tell them that it is exempt and fill out a form. They do their best not to help a citizen.
And the form doesn't have a section that says "my truck is way old and exempt under COMAR", one's registration should tell them all they need to know.

Grumpy

And the form doesn't have a section that says "my truck is way old and exempt under COMAR", one's registration should tell them all they need to know.
You really think the MVA is going out of their way to do a little research?? Maybe they would if they were sued and had to refund years of fees paid.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The form for the exemption only has the option for elderly owner, disabled owner, or military and out of the area. There is nothing for historic plates.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The form for the exemption only has the option for elderly owner, disabled owner, or military and out of the area. There is nothing for historic plates.
You should contact the Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program @ 1-410-768-7000. And ask straight up - "Why am I receiving an inspection notice for my 1968 GMC truck when COMAR 11.14.08.04 clearly states that vehicles built before 1977 are exempt?" And additionally I would ask, "When will I get a refund for the previous testings that I paid for that were unnecessary?"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm just trying to recall what kind of "emissions" equipment and standards even applied to a '69 GMC truck. In 1969!

Maybe an EGR system?...I doubt even that. I've been restoring 1966-76 Ford trucks for a long time...a few basic emissions features started showing up in '72 but of course no state imposes emissions testing on anything that old anyway.

black dog

Free America
I'm just trying to recall what kind of "emissions" equipment and standards even applied to a '69 GMC truck. In 1969!

Maybe an EGR system?...I doubt even that. I've been restoring 1966-76 Ford trucks for a long time...a few basic emissions features started showing up in '72 but of course no state imposes emissions testing on anything that old anyway.
As I recall 1967-1970 was a change years with emissions. My 70 Pontiac has just a pcv valve.
I bought is in 75 so I believe the first owner deleated the air pump?
Loads of cars got air pumps starting in 1969, with Ca a few years before.
I thought trucks got the smog a few years later.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As I recall 1967-1970 was a change years with emissions. My 70 Pontiac has just a pcv valve.
I bought is in 75 so I believe the first owner deleated the air pump?
Loads of cars got air pumps starting in 1969, with Ca a few years before.
I thought trucks got the smog a few years later.
Emissions were phased in by GVW as you know. For example...the 1978 Bronco had no cats or air pump except in California, but all 1979s had that system.