Just noticed, somd weather is gone

David

Opinions are my own...
Staff member
PREMO Member
Yes, it was the typical old-school Internet Creativity to success to selling out to destroy the once great product in the name of the almighty dollar. The guy developed some great software from scratch and it put it out there for anyone to use. Then after several years he sold his business, which included the software, to some large weather company who immediately stopped development. The scripts are complicated and old and broken in many places. As much as I would like to fix them, there are more pressing issues.

David

Opinions are my own...
Staff member
PREMO Member
Never heard of it, but I do appreciate the heads up. I was looking at OpenWeatherMap, but that requires development. Something that is ready to plugin, would be ideal until something better comes up.

If we do find somthing, I am probably going to move it to somd.com/wx/

Too much hassle to maintain a separate domain.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please, by all means, post away. I am like a sponge when it comes to good suggestions 🙃

David

Opinions are my own...
Staff member
PREMO Member
JB weather appears to be a guy doing his own weather thing. I don't see any API or plug-ins, so I really don't see how we could use it.

jazz lady

~*~ rara avis ~*~
I use Weather Underground on my phone (Samsung Galaxy) but have no idea if it compatible with this forum software.

jazz lady

~*~ rara avis ~*~
I use Weather Underground on my phone (Samsung Galaxy) but have no idea if it compatible with this forum software.
So I had to look. They no longer provide a free API:

But suggest you go here to find a product:

Bonehead

JB weather appears to be a guy doing his own weather thing. I don't see any API or plug-ins, so I really don't see how we could use it.
I follow his predictions on facebook, I know nothing about what you might need to use it..

somdadmin

Administrator
Staff member
I just had someone volunteer to take a stab at fixing the weather code. So, we may be able to save it. I would like to because, frankly, I like the old school design that presents that data you want to see and doesn't worry about all of the fancy pretty pictures and social media interfaces which add little to the weather info.

David

Opinions are my own...
Staff member
PREMO Member
Getting quite a few inquiries about the weather. Didn't realize it was so popular. I uploaded the source code to the programmers last night. Now, we just wait and see if it can be saved. I need to post an advisory on the main weather page letting people know what's going on.