• 4 pretty darn good (B)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 5 wouldn't change a thing (A)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...how many people are happy with the way our K-12 public school system is teaching?

1-5....1 totally not happy, 5 as happy as can be.

smoothmarine187

When I lived in Bowie, there is no way that I would have sent my kids to a public school........they would have gotten a 1 there. I think I would give Lusby schools a 4 or a 5.

CMC122

Go Braves!
smoothmarine187 said:
When I lived in Bowie, there is no way that I would have sent my kids to a public school........they would have gotten a 1 there. I think I would give Lusby schools a 4 or a 5.
My daughter was actually challenged more in her Bowie school then she has been here. But the environment is much better here then what her school was turning into there:yay:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
CMC122 said:
My daughter was actually challenged more in her Bowie school then she has been here. But the environment is much better here then what her school was turning into there:yay:

:yeahthat: I have to agree also. My girls were challenged way more in there PG county kindergarten class then they were here in Calvert. PG had a full day kindergarten program whereas Calvert still had a half-day program. We moved mid-year and my girls were way ahead of their Calvert counterparts.

punjabigyrl

I think the public schools in america in general need tremendious amount of improvement. I grew up in a foreign country with a British system and man talk about challenge. I got homework in every subject. In thrid grade we had 6 weeks to memorize multiplication tables that is one through 12. We didn't use calculators till in high school 9th grade. everything was mentally calculated. We took SAT type tests from 9th grade which included math, english, swahili,french or german(depending on what foreign language you took as elective) history,science, goegraphy and chemistry every year in high school. This test determined if you moved to the next grade. Every year you took all these classes and built on them. The only elective you had was between business and art and which foreign language to take. In high school your math was all lumped together that is beginning of the year til the end you have learnt basic math, algebra, trigonometry, geometry, finite math and calculus. What I see my daughter doing and parents complaining of alot of homework....NOT. When I compare what my daughter does in her 5th grade with the four countries that my neices and nephews No wonder american kids are soooooo far behind. the four countries are Canada, England, Australia, and Kenya. I make my daughter(10) and Son(5) do tons of extra stuff. My daughter does all her homemwork in the bus or during recess)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm pretty happy with the level of education our kids are getting at their school. So I gave it a 4.

What's interesting is that my DIL and I got sucked into the Great Schools website and started searching for schools we had attended, then moved on to urban area schools. The stats were fascinating and we trolled schools for a good 3 hours. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
punjabigyrl said:
What I see my daughter doing and parents complaining of alot of homework....NOT.
That's actually an off-shoot of parents complaining that their kids have so much homework that they can't travel with their sports team or immerse themselves in soem extracurricular activity. The schools are merely responding to that.

One of the things I insisted on was that our kids hold a paying job of some form while in high school. I think it's a good experience for them and prepares them for life outside of their little pond. But you'd be surprised how many parents think the most important thing is for kids to "enjoy being a kid as long as possible". Many parents won't allow their kids to work, and they buy them cars, pay for their gas, give them a credit card for routine expenses.

The focus is on extracurriculars, not academics or real life experiences. I mean, really, unless your kid is going to be a professional dancer, what the hell good is six dance classes a week? And the odds are against your kid being a professional athelete, so what's the point of wasting their whole youth on soccer tournaments? I mean, yeah, they may get a scholarship, but then they've got the pressure to perform in college to *keep* the scholarship, plus any classes they might be required to actually attend.

I think parents forget that their child is simply an "adult in training", and if you try keeping them children as long as possible, they don't make that transition as easily.

punjabigyrl

I agree with you Vrai. However, My opinion is to teach them at a young age. My daughter was taught about money at 5 and she had a budget. We also taught her the disfference between a need and want what we call in our household do-dad expenses. Now she is 10 and we do stocks with her. On her birhtday she selects 2 stocks and we tell her that we give her 100 for those stocks. She has to monitor them for one year till her next b-day. If the stocks did well she gets more if she lost she gets the 100. With the stocks she picked shes made 300. We also have taught her to save 10% of her allowance and be frugal with the rest. I like to save 20%. I am now teaching my 5 year old boy. I agree that parents are putting alot of emphasis on sports for thier kids. My duaghter does Lacrosse but thats it. The rest of the year she runs around the neighborhood being a kid.