Kayak on Patuxent...

Hessian

Took a trek yesterday in the fog/rain from north of Chalk point way up Hunting Creek.
The creek has a great deal of winding and evidence of Ernesto's flooding was prominent.
Could only get to within 400 yards of Rt 4 because of downed trees.
Fish life was minimal...
Pax river was rough! Wind and waves knocking my Loon160 tandem all over the place but no swamping or rolling for me.

From there down to Hallowing point...total for the day:10 miles of mostly flat water...my shoulders are feeling it.

For yakkers..-Give Hunting Creek a run, it was worth it.

Anybody have a local put in for Battle Creek???
(Its a bit tiring to put in at Broome's Is and come north)

CSA

That all sounds great and I'm into kayaking creeks, but are they really creeks???

Hessian

Creek?

In SOMD, a creek can vary from a marshy trickle to a broad 8+ mile tidal inlet with no discernable current.

The Pax river is blessed with a number of sizable Flat water creeks that run miles into the surrounding countryside. (Most are only 2-8 miles long but can bear sailboats with deep keels for some distance)

Up in NY I own land along the Schoharie Creek...it is 80+ miles long, has dry spots in summer and floods like mad during spring run off: that is NOT the condition of creeks down here!...I have put my kayak on both...

Pete

Repete
Hessian said:
In SOMD, a creek can vary from a marshy trickle to a broad 8+ mile tidal inlet with no discernable current.

The Pax river is blessed with a number of sizable Flat water creeks that run miles into the surrounding countryside. (Most are only 2-8 miles long but can bear sailboats with deep keels for some distance)

Up in NY I own land along the Schoharie Creek...it is 80+ miles long, has dry spots in summer and floods like mad during spring run off: that is NOT the condition of creeks down here!...I have put my kayak on both...
I used to kayak in the rivers and bays in Maine in a Old Town 160 Adventure sea kayak. It was fun, except in high winds and surf with a heavy load and rolling the first time. :lol:

You ever go out in open water?

Hessian

I'm close to...

renting a cabin/house not too far from Darmascotta (?) for next summer.
The actual community is called South Bristol.
Looks like islands: endless! Any experience in that are (mid coast) yakking?
I did a lake up there this summer: OK...but power boaters let us know they considered us a nuisance.

Pete

Repete
Hessian said:
renting a cabin/house not too far from Darmascotta (?) for next summer.
The actual community is called South Bristol.
Looks like islands: endless! Any experience in that are (mid coast) yakking?
I did a lake up there this summer: OK...but power boaters let us know they considered us a nuisance.
I lived about 10 miles from Damariscotta. The Damarascotta river is really nice. Also Wiscasset in the Sheepscot river going down towards Boothbay. Pemaquid is gorgeous. If the leaves are turning you might go up to Dresden or Richmond and Come down the East River into the Kennebec and just float past Swan Island all the way to Merrymeeting Bay.

Boy's great uncle lives in South Bristol.

CSA

Thanks for the clearing that up. I acually moved here from New York some time ago and I really miss the fast moving creeks and rivers. I have kayaked the Letchworth Gorge, Zoar Valley, the lower Niagra River, the Erie Canal and many other creeks that flow throughout western New York. The only place I've had a chance to check out here was St. Marys lake.

bcp

In My Opinion
Hessian said:
Could only get to within 400 yards of Rt 4 because of downed trees.
Fish life was minimal...
we need to meet up sometime.
I put in on the pax right by 214 and come down to the rt 4 bridge.
I like to use my canoe most of the time and bring along a small pole (fishing) to throw some top lures in the lilly pads about 100 yards north of the bridge.

Hessian

bcp...& Pete:

I have done that run twice and thoroughly enjoyed it-once in kayak, once in canoe.
No chance to fish though...maybe on my third run.
Got a great book:
Maryland and Delaware Canoe trails....by Edward Gertler

Looks like the upper part of the Pax is a real challenge due to tree Falls and shallows. (ie Savage Mill to Bowie)

The next run after Battle creek for me might be Gilbert's run or Allen's fresh
but I may not get more than one more crack at it before cold weather sets in....
Any experience regarding late Fall runs?...I've never tried it before!

PETE..unbelievable! Looks like that rental is looking better & better for next June. My wife's family originated near ther (Georgetown & Phippsburg) back in the late 1600's. I'm very eager to see what it looks like from land & water.
I ought to spring for dinner and you give me some advice on the topo maps I have of Coastal Maine.
I assume tidal Maine is a bit more vigorous than tidal Pax!!? (10 foot tides vs 2 foot!)
Thanks in advance!
Hessian

Pete

Repete
Hessian said:
I have done that run twice and thoroughly enjoyed it-once in kayak, once in canoe.
No chance to fish though...maybe on my third run.
Got a great book:
Maryland and Delaware Canoe trails....by Edward Gertler

Looks like the upper part of the Pax is a real challenge due to tree Falls and shallows. (ie Savage Mill to Bowie)

The next run after Battle creek for me might be Gilbert's run or Allen's fresh
but I may not get more than one more crack at it before cold weather sets in....
Any experience regarding late Fall runs?...I've never tried it before!

PETE..unbelievable! Looks like that rental is looking better & better for next June. My wife's family originated near ther (Georgetown & Phippsburg) back in the late 1600's. I'm very eager to see what it looks like from land & water.
I ought to spring for dinner and you give me some advice on the topo maps I have of Coastal Maine.
I assume tidal Maine is a bit more vigorous than tidal Pax!!? (10 foot tides vs 2 foot!)
Thanks in advance!
Hessian
Tidal paddling is vigorous for sure. There are places where the tide changes so ferociously novices (like me) have to avoid them, experts have a good ride.

The tide going out by Ben's Lobster pound on Bailey's Island is so fast it wells up around the bridge abutments.

I even stayed away from the Back river where it meets the Kennebec near Bath in power boat because the water meeting and heading back towards Phippsburg causes some wicked whirlpool action and rips.

There are some great places. The water will still be chilly in June, hell it doesn't get that warm by August so stay in the boat. :lol:

If you are into white water go up to Katahdin and ride down the Pennobscott. I did it in a big raft, I wouldn't do it in a kayak, because......well I am chicken. :lol:

The one thing Maine does not lack is water. Hundreds of lakes, streams and rivers. Most secluded, quiet and remote. I did trail maintenance on the Appalachian Trail for LL Bean a couple years and used to camp on Upper Jo-Mary Lake. It was an experience for sure, especially 30 October when the overnight low was 29 burrrrrrr. :lol:

I was and still am a novice part time kayaker. I got into it with some friends for a while so I went with the crowd. I doubt I could help you much with the maps.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
CSA said:
Thanks for the clearing that up. I acually moved here from New York some time ago and I really miss the fast moving creeks and rivers. I have kayaked the Letchworth Gorge, Zoar Valley, the lower Niagra River, the Erie Canal and many other creeks that flow throughout western New York. The only place I've had a chance to check out here was St. Marys lake.
There are few other places for quick little paddles around here. McIntosh Run, put in by the old state road garage by Leonardtown Center. This float will take you out to Breton Bay, you can take out at the Leonardtown Wharf or just paddle back. There is another put in located in Great Mills just before you get to Friendly Tavern. This run takes you out to the St. Mary's River. Hessian did one up in Chaptico. All flatwater but still pretty nice.

If you are looking for some moving water, the Gunpowder River has class I-II+/small III. We put in up on the other side of Timonium. Harper's Ferry offers up some decent fast water in the spring. You can take your pick of the Shenandoah or Potomac Rivers. MD "owns" the Potomac so you can cast for smallies if you'd like.