Kayak Rentals

Mikeru

I'm wondering if there's any good places in St. Mary's or Calvert, to rental Kayaks and go kayaking, preferably touring/sea kayaks? I'm hoping once the weather warms up more permanently to start learning, but I don't want to hop in some damn recreational kayak as I don't ever see myself buying one (a recreational kayak).

Hessian

Greenwell State Park

Offers Kayak courses & rentals toward summer.
(I was not impressed with the prices though)

Southern Maryland Paddlers on Facebook organizes local paddling trips and the members have been generous to newcomers: loaning a craft to someone who is interested. Paula Marquis is the coordinator--we are planning some trips by April.
Neat local adventures....Join us.

glhs837

Power with Control
Damn, hatin on the rec boats, but you haven't learned how to kayak yet? :killingme

I dont know if the folks in L-town are still in business, or what sort they rent, but its worth a call, I think..

McIntosh Outfitters
Canoe and Kayak Rentals
240-577-3971
240-577-3977

Also the Patuxent Adventure Center does rentals and trips....

Rentals & Tours

Hessian

I May have misunderstood....

Not sure of your definition of a "damn Recreational kayak"...but if you set your sights on a bay trek...DO not rent a touring boat unless you have spent some serious time in local waters and know how much your back & shoulders can take. How do you do against a 15 mph wind and a 3 mph cross current?

There is no getting out to stretch your legs when you are 3 miles out in the bay.

I can honestly say that a long 4 hour trek dealing with wind & current issues that was probably 12 miles...whooped me out. Made it darn hard to get the 78 lb tandem yak back on the roof racks. You should condition yourself before hitting the open bay.

toppick08

Not sure of your definition of a "damn Recreational kayak"...but if you set your sights on a bay trek...DO not rent a touring boat unless you have spent some serious time in local waters and know how much your back & shoulders can take. How do you do against a 15 mph wind and a 3 mph cross current?

There is no getting out to stretch your legs when you are 3 miles out in the bay.I can honestly say that a long 4 hour trek dealing with wind & current issues that was probably 12 miles...whooped me out. Made it darn hard to get the 78 lb tandem yak back on the roof racks. You should condition yourself before hitting the open bay.

:jet:...Talk about fortitude and nuts....You my man, have my :notworthy: of the day...:yay:

CaptMc

I'm wondering if there's any good places in St. Mary's or Calvert, to rental Kayaks and go kayaking, preferably touring/sea kayaks? I'm hoping once the weather warms up more permanently to start learning, but I don't want to hop in some damn recreational kayak as I don't ever see myself buying one (a recreational kayak).

I can testify that the folks in L town are still in business, they have a pretty good selection of various types. Don't know why you are so adverse to "recreational Kayaks", 'specially since you don't Paddle.(By your own admission)

"Everyone Deserves A Good Paddling"