Keep The Competition In The Arena

bjsangel

Hi Everyone,

Just a note to say that although I'm new to these forums, I'm not new in the horse show world and have alot of experience event planning. I feel like I'm reading through all the sales flyers between Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Target when it comes to the local barns and their competitiveness. There was drama in the barns back in Michagan and thankfully we all have a choice whether to engage in the drama or not. Every good horse person knows that "Wherever your nose is, the rest of you will follow." I was just looking for some upcoming events and stumbled across the conflicting 3/3 (Saturday) date between FI & HP. I also have a show list from AMIT that shows 3/4 (Sunday) as the date for the HP show. Which is correct???

As a horse show enthusiast, first I was happy to see that I have plenty of choices, but then I was torn between which show I wanted to attend. I would think that with St. Mary's county being such a small horse community that all the major facilities could unite and coordinate their event plans. A good event planner doesn't overlap event dates more several reasons. But I guess not. Seems like FI has had their show dates posted for a long time. HP is offering a snow date of 3/10. Being experienced with event planning, when you can offer a make up date, it means that you already have flexibility. The respectful thing to do would be for HP to change their show date to 3/10 and give all the horse show enthusiats the opportunity to attend both shows.

Being new here, I'm hoping that all the local barns will team together and create some awsome events for those of us who depend on their facilities.

"A house divided against itself will not stand." Let's all keep the competition inside the arenas where it really counts.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I agree, but it can not be changed now. The show is on the 3rd. It is posted in the Equiery. AMIT made a mistake. AMIT is holding a show on the 11th. We already hashed out all the details on a different thread. I apologized for the conflict. It wasn't intentional. I honestly can do no more. I am sorry.

Carm

I got a horse again!! :)
Well Said

Thanks for your input. I believe the conflicting dates were not to have competition between barns, just an oversite. When planning an event we all should contact the local barns and clubs and try not to have similar shows, clinics and such in the local area on the same day. This way we all have well attended events.
I'm impressed with the tactfull way you made your point. I much prefer this to attacking someone personally. We all make mistakes, that's how we learn. This reminds me of something Mr.Willey (Hickory Hollow Saddlery) said to me many years ago after I had screwed something up. He said "People who don't make mistakes are people who don't do anything" He made me feel better :)

fredsaid2

It was an honest mistake and has been thoroughly hashed out.
If you get a copy of both prize lists you'll see each has a particular focus. So, even though they're on the same date, riders shouldn't feel they're missing out if they choose one over the other, they'll pick the one that suits best.

Local shows are fairly new to St. Mary's save for the long standing ones at AMIT. You have to expect growing pains!

Welcome to the forums, sounds like your experience will come in handy. :smile:

K

Katie

It was just an oversight and not done on purpose. This has been talked about and it is put to rest. I show at Flat Iron, but I ride a green horse, and a horse that has been out of the shows for a while. That type of show is what those two need. Now next summer, I will probably focus on the level at Holly Point is at. Not all people that show are at the same level at the same time.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
To bad we can't have a way to list upcoming horse events with out it being considered advertising. I know you can put it in the classified, but a General calender would be so much easier to check out. AMIT shows aren't even listed in the Equiery calender. It would be nice to have a Calvert, St. Mary's, and Charles county calender that would include all the local equestrian events.

Last edited:
K

Katie

BZHorseMomE said:
To bad we can't have a way to list upcoming horse events with out it be considered advertising. AMIT shows aren't even listed in the Equiery calender. It would be nice to have a Calvert, St. Mary's, and Charles Calender that would list all the Local Horse events.

I agree 100% with you!!

I didn't even know there was a show at AMIT until someone came into the tack store(Horse Trading) last Saturday looking for some new pants, shirt and a helmet.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
It just seems like it would benefit everyone in the Tri-County area to come together to promote there equestrian events. What could be better then supporting local shows in our back yard vs. going to other state to put money in their pockets.

I don't show QH, but it's my understanding that there are only two MD QH shows left in the State of Maryland. The rest are held in DE, VA, etc. now.

I understand having a Show Barn or other type of Equestrain facility they are competing for everyones business, but if we could put that aside to promote Equestrian Sport in Southern Maryland it would benefit everyone.

Also I heard that the covered ring that had been discussed for the PG Equestrian Center is no longer going to be done?

Last edited:

fredsaid2

One advertising venue is the Equiery's 'coming events' section in the back of the pub. SMHA and MSA both post their dates, our local shows could do the same. It's a free service, organizers can call or e-mail the info. There was also a web page, Hoofbeats?, that listed local events. I don't have the link handy, maybe someone else does? It was a nice listing of events in the local area including trail rides and the AMIT shows. I've heard AMIT doesn't advertise because they always have a good turnout and so don't see the need. Perhaps the Hoofbeats page could be another option if it's still available.

The Equiery reported back in Oct that they had the funding just needed to put the project out for bid. Hope the funds weren't yanked back somehow.

R

riderup

event schedule

Katie said:
It was just an oversight and not done on purpose. This has been talked about and it is put to rest. I show at Flat Iron, but I ride a green horse, and a horse that has been out of the shows for a while. That type of show is what those two need. Now next summer, I will probably focus on the level at Holly Point is at. Not all people that show are at the same level at the same time.
Alot of groups have their events at the same time. Take the trail riding clubs, for example. DeLaBrooke has their ride at Mt. Victoria the same time as the ride at Greenwell. No one scheduled this on purpose, it just works out that way. You decide which one to choose by the type of ride that it is. If you want an easy, low key ride, Greenwell is the best one. Jumpers and people who want a little more of a challenge, they pick Mt. Victoria. With so many events, some are bound to overlap. Clubs like MAHA and SMTR check with each other, but there are still others, like TROT and LMH that you have to factor in. We just have to pick one and go. A ton of planning goes into each event, and to ask that one barn move their show when it is only a week or so away is not practical.
The most important thing is to pick an event, and go.