Keep your Ts & Ps to yourself

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Thinking of sending your "thoughts and prayers" to those affected by tragedy or a natural disaster? Well, not everyone wants them.
While Christians value these gestures from religious people, some atheists and agnostics would pay money to avoid them, according to a study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

<snip>

Nonreligious people were willing to pay about $1.66 to avoid a prayer from a priest and more than double that price at $3.54 to avoid one from a Christian stranger.
"The last result is surprising because one might expect that atheists/agnostics would be indifferent to people praying for them -- why care, if you don't believe in the gesture?" said Thunström. "But that is not what we find -- atheists and agnostics are averse to prayers, to the extent that they are willing to abstain money in order to ensure not to get a prayer from a Christian stranger.

Honestly, I do get sick of the "look at meeeeee! I'm caring!!! :starcat: " social media posts after a tragedy, but to be actively annoyed when someone sends you an expression of sympathy... I don't even know what to say about that.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
"The last result is surprising because one might expect that atheists/agnostics would be indifferent to people praying for them -- why care, if you don't believe in the gesture?" said Thunström. "But that is not what we find -- atheists and agnostics are averse to prayers, to the extent that they are willing to abstain money in order to ensure not to get a prayer from a Christian stranger.

Damn! The perfect side business!

Blackmail through Thoughts and Prayers! :getdown:

officeguy

There is some joker who posts 'thoughts & prayers' in reply to smnewsnet articles about road closures and county business.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Actually, every time there is a natural disaster somewhere where people die, or become homeless, or are shot, stabbed, brick to the head, in whatever country, first world, or third world, (Whatever happened to second world? Why was that skipped I wonder?), I look into my bag, and yup, in every instance it is empty, there are zero of anything to give. It's not that I don't, "care". It's just that, I really don't care. Way too many bad things happen everyday, in this Nation and in every other one. Way too many to even try to keep up with. So I only, "care", for those things, persons, immediate to me. All else goes the phase, "There but for the grace of God go I."

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

Actually, every time there is a natural disaster somewhere where people die, or become homeless, or are shot, stabbed, brick to the head, in whatever country, first world, or third world, (Whatever happened to second world? Why was that skipped I wonder?), I look into my bag, and yup, in every instance it is empty, there are zero of anything to give. It's not that I don't, "care". It's just that, I really don't care. Way too many bad things happen everyday, in this Nation and in every other one. Way too many to even try to keep up with. So I only, "care", for those things, persons, immediate to me. All else goes the phase, "There but for the grace of God go I."

Whatever happened to second world? That is a good question that I have not heard, before. Food for thought. Good one! :lol:

BOP

Whatever happened to second world? That is a good question that I have not heard, before. Food for thought. Good one! :lol:
I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering. No one seems to know, and what's worse: no one seems to give a rip. For the love of gawd, people! The 2nd world has gone missing! It's for the children!
:cds:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering. No one seems to know, and what's worse: no one seems to give a rip. For the love of gawd, people! The 2nd world has gone missing! It's for the children!

Don’t make me laugh this late at night, sha-BOP. :lol:

SamSpade

I admit - the phrase "thoughts and prayers" grates on me. It just seems like a throwaway way to say, I sympathize, I feel bad for you - and that is the extent of my concern. It's the minimum. You know, "if you need anything, just call". It may be heartfelt, but when you are grieving, it's not typical for you to call someone for help. It's just better if you find a way to help them without being asked.

HOWEVER - when I learn that someone I know say, from church says that my mother's health has been in their daily prayers - and they disclose this to me quietly - I am deeply moved. Because it isn't a flippant remark. This happens from time to time - someone I know - a little - someone whose character and devotion I admire - says something like this, I am deeply touched, because they care about me a LOT more than I care about them. It can be, actually, inspiring.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I admit - the phrase "thoughts and prayers" grates on me. It just seems like a throwaway way to say, I sympathize, I feel bad for you - and that is the extent of my concern. It's the minimum.

I see it more as a "see me caring? :starcat: " attention thing. I mean, honestly, do you really care that some terrible thing happened to people you don't know in a place you've never heard of? Yeah, it's sad, but it doesn't affect your life and there is no loss on your part. People die every single day, many times in horrible ways, but we don't give a crap until the media tells us to.

Then there are those who are like, "Oh but it's a life :drama: " I always think those folks must live amazingly sucky lives if they're melting down over every single death in the world. My god, that's just nonstop 24/7 emotional breakdown. Get a freaking grip.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I admit - the phrase "thoughts and prayers" grates on me.
Mine is "thank you for your service." Can be meant well, often is. But for many, it's a cheap, throw-away line. As Vrai noted (and I agree), too often it's this:
I see it more as a "see me caring? :starcat: " attention thing.
Still, it's important for me & my mental health to try to give the benefit of the doubt.

Disappeared when the Cold War ended.

--- End of line (MCP)