"Kemp accuses Pixton of defamation"

Riddler

Looks like the dispute is out in the open now.

Kemp seeking $1,000,000 for defamation, $500,000 in punitive damages and $500,000 in compensatory damages.

Youth football dispute enters courtroom arena

A simmering dispute over youth football in St. Mary's County has spilled over into court as a couple who started one program filed a defamation lawsuit recently against the president of another organization.

The complaint filed on behalf of Donald and Trude Kemp also accuses Christopher D. Pixton of intentional misrepresentation in negotiating an agreement for the sale of football gear by the Kemps' program to Pixton.

The lawsuit was filed after Pixton and the director of a third youth football program rejected in September a proposal by St. Mary's County Department of Recreation and Parks officials to supervise the sport.

The Kemps' program did not field any players this year, but a dispute emerged over the ownership of football equipment stored at a county park.

Donald Kemp was looking last spring to end his 20 years of work with youth football, the lawsuit states, and negotiations began for Pixton's Southern County Youth Football and Cheer Inc. to buy the assets of the Kemps' St. Mary's Pigskin Football and Cheerleading Inc.

During that time, Pixton had an Internet radio show known as the "Pax River Raiders Radio Show," also broadcast on a local radio station, according to the lawsuit alleging that Pixton made comments on the show that the Kemps and their football program had "engaged in misconduct including ... misappropriating funds and deposits made by prospective youth football players, and engaged in other acts of corruption."

The lawsuit states that the false comments exposed the Kemps to "public scorn, hatred, contempt or ridicule," and the complaint seeks a judgment through its defamation claim of at least $1 million and at least $500,000 in punitive damages.

Pixton and Kemp signed an agreement in late May, the lawsuit states, but the complaint accuses Pixton of falsely stating beforehand that he would assume the Pigskin program's debts and work with Kemp in this year's player registrations.

"Pixton had never had any intention of honoring the agreement," according to the complaint prepared by Upper Marlboro lawyer Thomas A. McManus. "He deliberately misrepresented his willingness to continue the St. Mary's Pigskin Football Program for 2009 for the sole purposes of eliminating it as a rival to Southern County Youth Football, to gain control of the equipment including uniforms of St. Mary's Pigskin Football."

The lawsuit seeks $500,000 in compensatory damages through the claim of intentional misrepresentation.

Arthur Shepherd, the recreation division manager with the county's department, said Tuesday that an offer still stands for the area football programs to become part of a structure like one in neighboring Calvert County, where a single league oversees a number of clubs.

"We made it voluntary," Shepherd said. "We've had more discussions, and put that option out there. It's there for them."

Zguy28

The lawsuit states that the false comments exposed the Kemps to "public scorn, hatred, contempt or ridicule," and the complaint seeks a judgment through its defamation claim of at least $1 million and at least $500,000 in punitive damages.
Tort reform anyone?

smilin

BOXER NATION
Guess to win the lawsuit, they are going to have to open the books?

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Wonder if all the nice youth football threads will get used as some sort of evidence?

SoccerMom2

I met Mr. Pixon. My son played for the Pax River Raiders this season. He seems like a very nice man. I hope he gets all this straighten out. I love the Pax River Raiders organization!

smilin

BOXER NATION
It's sad state of affairs when something meant to be so much fun and instructive has turned out this way.