kennel recommendations.....

foodforthought

I have to board my doggies for the weekend for the first time ever in a few weeks, Im a bit nervous, but need some recommendations on kennels in st.marys for them...

wittykitty

My friend uses Farmstead Kennels in Clements, several times per year. Her dog is always happy to go, which is a good sign to me. She says the place is well kept and they're good to the animals.

donmagicyourmom

farmstead. when my parents kept their dogs there i made suprise visits and found everything very clean with the operators throwing tennis balls with the dogs.

jenbengen

Watch it
I have to board my doggies for the weekend for the first time ever in a few weeks, Im a bit nervous, but need some recommendations on kennels in st.marys for them...

I've only used Indian Bridge Kennel once but they seemed to do a good job. New facility so it's really clean and they were quite nice.

ginwoman

Do a pop in at Farmstead. I did that one time a few years ago. I guess they were OK....they are the first and only kennel I have been to so I don't have anything to compare with. Have you though about having a person come by your house to take care of them a few times a day?

Lusby_scrapper

another good kennel is Countryside Pet Paradise off of St. Andrews Church Road. Always do a surprise visit and go with what you feel will be a good match for pets.

Do a pop in at Farmstead. I did that one time a few years ago. I guess they were OK....they are the first and only kennel I have been to so I don't have anything to compare with. Have you though about having a person come by your house to take care of them a few times a day?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
:yeahthat:

They're good from what I've heard.

:yeahthat: My princess loves Indian Bridge. If we happen to drive by the place with her in the car, she gets all kinds of miffed when we don't stop. She stays there several times a year, and when I go to get her, she acts like she doesn't want to come home. :lol: They spoil her rotten, and she gets playtime with other people and dogs. They also have a groomer onboard. TVS and radios for company, tons of toys to choose from, though you can bring one from home, and more.

ginwoman

I only take my dogs to Applejack K-9 Academy/Kennels - in Charlotte Hall. They treat my dogs like they are their family - oh wait they are their family!!!! Applejack is the greatest Morgan and Zeus say so!!!!

14655 Charles Street
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622 (301)884-7547

Applejack K9 Academy - Working German Shepherds, puppies, boarding, & training in Maryland

Do they have a/c for those really HOT summer days? That's when I worry the most about my golden when we go away for a few days.

smilin

BOXER NATION
another good kennel is Countryside Pet Paradise off of St. Andrews Church Road. Always do a surprise visit and go with what you feel will be a good match for pets.

Absolutely. Our dog loves that place. She can't wait to get in - very irritating!:killingme
They do a good job overall. Better than some of the others we've been to.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
Bought my Boxer from her. Very friendly.

Boarding

Dog Boarding
Puppies/Dogs from me are 6 dollars a day with their own dog food. Or 8 dollars a day without dog food.

Everyone else 10 dollars a day with dog food or 13 dollars a day without dog food.

For additional dogs/cats it is 5 dollars each additional pet with food. or 8 dollars a day without food.

If you need your dog kenneled longer than 5 days with us price maybe negotiable.

We do long term stays!

Please have recent Vaccinations!!

Please contact if you have any questions, concerns or would like to come see the place.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living

There have been a lot of good recommendations and I know several of the kennel owners personally.
If you have a couple hours, you may want to pop in to a few boarding facilities and ask for a tour. It should put you more at ease about leaving your doggies when you see the facilities and can observe the kennel in action.
Most in the area are excellent.

S

starr

Just never have your dog groomed at Farmstead. They burned my dog underbelly several times and didn't say anything about it. Never went back.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
There have been a lot of good recommendations and I know several of the kennel owners personally.
If you have a couple hours, you may want to pop in to a few boarding facilities and ask for a tour. It should put you more at ease about leaving your doggies when you see the facilities and can observe the kennel in action.
Most in the area are excellent.

no calls... just show up during regular hours! MOST will just give you a tour! If they do not... then :nono:

Take note on the smell, if there are any kennels where dogs have made a mess and have not been cleaned.. also if so... are the dogs still clean, do the dogs look happy or over stressed, do you hear people yelling at the dogs, are there TWO gates for your dogs safety. (you enter one and shut it and have to enter another before getting to the dogs!)

Was the staff friendly towards you and the pets that are there (or are they just "doing their job" taking the dog out, cleaning and feeding the dog - and no interaction with the pet?)

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

no calls... just show up during regular hours! MOST will just give you a tour! If they do not... then :nono:

Take note on the smell, if there are any kennels where dogs have made a mess and have not been cleaned.. also if so... are the dogs still clean, do the dogs look happy or over stressed, do you hear people yelling at the dogs, are there TWO gates for your dogs safety. (you enter one and shut it and have to enter another before getting to the dogs!)

Was the staff friendly towards you and the pets that are there (or are they just "doing their job" taking the dog out, cleaning and feeding the dog - and no interaction with the pet?)

:yeahthat: I "dropped in" on all the area kennels before making my choice.

One of which, that has been recommended in this tread, was horrible in real life. When I got there, they were rude at first and said they didn't have time to show me around and I'd have to make an appointment, and I said fine but I wasn't doing that I'd just leave, but then somebody else said they would walk me through. First thing I noticed was how unbearbly hot it was. This was a place that advertised a/c. The dogs were crying and whining and cramped up into little cages and it was so freaking hot. The smell of urine was overpowering. I asked if their a/c was out and they said they didn't use it because of the individual dog runs, but not every dog had an individual dog run. This place also advertised that every dog got a bed, and I did not see a single one the entire walk through. All the dogs were just miserable - it looked like a freaking puppy mill or hoarder thing on the news, and my heart was breaking. When I left, an owner was picking up their dog and the dog was lunging and crying and just begging to go home. The owner said "oh he just loves it here". It didn't appear that way to me.

Many of the other kennels were nice, but when I dropped in at Indian Bridge, every single animal was wagging it's tail, happy to be around, hanging out in the a/c, no crying, excessive barking. It smelled very clean and all the dogs had room enough to spare for toys and blankets and beds. The lady that was there answered all my questions and explained everything very politely without hurrying me out the door. So I pay a little extra in comparison to some of the area kennels, but it's worth the piece of mind I have while I'm gone. Heck even as a repeat customer, I've been known to still drop by unannounced. My dog is my baby and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize her welfare.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:yeahthat: I "dropped in" on all the area kennels before making my choice.

One of which, that has been recommended in this tread, was horrible in real life. When I got there, they were rude at first and said they didn't have time to show me around and I'd have to make an appointment, and I said fine but I wasn't doing that I'd just leave, but then somebody else said they would walk me through. First thing I noticed was how unbearbly hot it was. This was a place that advertised a/c. The dogs were crying and whining and cramped up into little cages and it was so freaking hot. The smell of urine was overpowering. I asked if their a/c was out and they said they didn't use it because of the individual dog runs, but not every dog had an individual dog run. This place also advertised that every dog got a bed, and I did not see a single one the entire walk through. All the dogs were just miserable - it looked like a freaking puppy mill or hoarder thing on the news, and my heart was breaking. When I left, an owner was picking up their dog and the dog was lunging and crying and just begging to go home. The owner said "oh he just loves it here". It didn't appear that way to me.

Many of the other kennels were nice, but when I dropped in at Indian Bridge, every single animal was wagging it's tail, happy to be around, hanging out in the a/c, no crying, excessive barking. It smelled very clean and all the dogs had room enough to spare for toys and blankets and beds. The lady that was there answered all my questions and explained everything very politely without hurrying me out the door. So I pay a little extra in comparison to some of the area kennels, but it's worth the piece of mind I have while I'm gone. Heck even as a repeat customer, I've been known to still drop by unannounced. My dog is my baby and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize her welfare.

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING BOUT! :coffee: I have not been into Indian Bridge BUT... have see the setup and it does look nice. (well I would go broke if I had to leave mine... but I would pick them :yay:) I do know someone else who left their pets there.. and IBK upgraded their kennel to a deluxe without asking them due to the size of the dog and they did have two of them together... and didnt charge them extra :yahoo: :buddies:

good place!

SMELL IS THE KEY!! If it doesnt smell clean... then it may not be that clean :coffee: and here is something to think about! If you can smell it.. think about what your dog smells!! :faint: